Trying To Keep An Open Mind

Since the start of this off season, I have been adamant about not drafting Anthony Barr. Despite his obvious athleticism, the few games that I watched him play left me with the feeling that he is not a quality pass rushing prospect. In every game that I watched, he benefitted from gaping holes in blocking. Rarely was he able to disengage from a blocker and make a play. Single blocker could take him out. For that reason, I swore off of him from an early point in the off season.

So, in the interest of being complete (and filling the extra week), can some one please argue in favor of Anthony Barr? For purposes of this discussion, I am not interested in his athleticism. We already know that he tests very well. I want to read about his aggressiveness, his love for the game and his desire to wreak havoc. I want to read about his steps to improve his game. We need a dominating pass rusher and I want him to be a reasonable candidate for us to draft at #6.

Can anyone argue for Anthony Barr?

Edited by etherdome

I can say that from the interviews I have heard, he seems like a very intelligent kid that really believes he will be one of the best.

Yeah he sounds like a good guy. Great attitude + great talent + good NFL coaching are all the ingredients for success although his success might be a bit further down the line. They said the same about Ansah and he had a good rookie season. That's not someone you would take highly though, looking more for instant impact instead.

I keep in mind, like a lot of other scouts who appear to do the same who are high on him, he has only played OLB for 2 years, and he came from one of the worse positions to switch to if you have absolutely no experience there RB. So, he doesn't have the upper body strength, or is even use to using his upper body in that way, he doesn't have the torso flexibility because a running back and pass rusher really want to do the opposite as far as there core. Running backs want to keep there core rigid mostly to bounce off tackles, break tackles, pass rushers need to be more flexible to bend, dip, flip there hips, etc... A running back only use there hands to hold on to the ball, maybe a stiff arm, there focus in training is core and leg strength. He's not use to the whole chess game of using his hands and setting a guy up at all. He is still developing, REALLY SERIOUSLY, I know you here that term a lot, but it is especially true with Barr. You can tell he has the will, and the work ethic, he improved tremendously in a short amount of time and based on teammates, scouts, and coach testimonies he is a legitimate ALL ABOUT FOOTBALL guy. Basically, he has the ability but you don't see the domination because of three things, lack of upper strength, torso flexibility, and technique. All of these are well WELL within his range of improving fast and in a hurry given the tools and the person he appears to be. So, basically he does have a relentless work ethic, if you consider that he doesn't have a ceiling then.... I mean with players who don't have ceilings and also have relentless work ethics you have the makings of potential guys like Michael Jordan, Deon Sanders, Bo Jackson... Just saying.

I wouldn't mind him on the team, just not at 6 overall....

Edited by datchrisb1

I wouldn't mind him on the team, just not at 6 overall....

Not sure where the original post was trying to lead. Barr is very nice prospect, but should not in the top 10 picks. Trading down ?

Edited by QFFL

Not sure where the original post was trying to lead. Barr is very nice prospect, but should not in the top 10 picks. Trading down ?

Yea, I wouldn't mind him on our team, I think he could contribute and fit in with our defensive scheme and all. I just don't think he's really worth a top 10 pick. But, I'm no general manager. I think we could trade up into the 1st and pick him, it's a good chance he's still on the board at the bottom of the 1st in my opinion, but that's just me.

nope theres nothing there. Good athletic but not much there in the skill department.

Lately, I have seen some pretty good write ups about Barr. According to some, he is extremely devoted to football. He lives, breathes and eats football 24/7. Maybe I have judged this guy too harshly. Maybe he is worthy of the #6 pick.

Let's just say that he is strictly a pass rusher as a rookie. Is that so bad? Let's also say that he works on his craft day and night. Is is not realistic to project him as a three-down OLB? I am begining to talk myself into drafting this kid.

Lately, I have seen some pretty good write ups about Barr. According to some, he is extremely devoted to football. He lives, breathes and eats football 24/7. Maybe I have judged this guy too harshly. Maybe he is worthy of the #6 pick.

Let's just say that he is strictly a pass rusher as a rookie. Is that so bad? Let's also say that he works on his craft day and night. Is is not realistic to project him as a three-down OLB? I am begining to talk myself into drafting this kid.

the tape tape doesn't lie my friend. He is a physical specimen no doubt but he has no pass rushing move. He can be taken out of the play by a TE most the time. I see people are now nit picking about mack in the run game but barr is non factor from that standpoint. I won't say that he can't get better but im not taking him at 6 in this draft. Barr benifited from a good overall defense imo. If we were picking in the bottom half of the draft and Ford and Ealy were off the board he woukd be worth a look based in his potential only.