Texans Owner Bob Mcnair Basically Says They R Trading #1 Pick And Looking For A Qb With Trade Down In Latest Interview

http://profootballta...n-texans-plans/

It’s becoming more clear that the Texans would like to trade the top pick in the draft to someone who wants defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

Texans owner Bob McNair addressed the team’s plans on Friday. While intending to say nothing, he said plenty.

“Really at this point we don’t know and we really won’t know until right up at the time we have to make a decision because people are talking to us about the possibility of trading down and it’s a question of what people offer, whether their offer is such that it’s worthwhile to trade down,” McNair told FOX 26 in Houston regarding the team’s plans for the pick.

The more McNair talked, the more obvious it became that the plan is to trade the ability to select Clowney for the chance to get a quarterback, plus extra picks — or to take Clowney and then trade him to a team that drafts the player the Texans prefer. Presumably, a quarterback.

“You take a guy like Clowney,” McNair said. “He’s obviously the best player in the draft, but he’s a defensive end. He’s not a quarterback. If he’s a quarterback and the best player it’s easy, but that’s not the case. So can that defensive player have a greater impact on the success of your team than one of these quarterbacks? It’s not a sure thing that he is. . . . If somebody wants you to drop down and they give you two or three more picks that would let you get two or three more quality players, are you a stronger team dropping down a little bit, getting these additional picks and getting more depth?”

Even if the Texans trade down to get a quarterback, McNair has concerns.

“You got three quarterbacks and all of them have some holes in their resume,” McNair said. “A quarterback that goes out and performs for you and is a franchise quarterback is more valuable than a player playing another position, but there’s a lot more risk there. It’s a more difficult position to play and there are lot more failures.

“You drop down and there’s another group close behind, not exactly where they are, and maybe one of those quarterbacks will become better than one of these other three,” McNair said. “There are no slam dunks. There are no Andrew Lucks out there, no Peyton Mannings. If there were it would be an easy decision, but that’s not the case.”

Regardless of how it plays out, McNair remains confident that the Texans will emerge from the three-day player-acquisition exercise in much better shape.

“I think that we’re going to greatly strengthen our team as a result of the draft,” McNair said. “We’ve got 11 picks now in the draft and it’s a deep draft. So we’re going to get some good players regardless as to what we do. If we trade down and pick up two or three more players, we’d have 13 or 14 [draft picks]. So you’re going to see some significant strengthening of our team as a result of this draft.”

How much stronger depends on whether the Texans make the right move with the first No. 1 overall pick they’ve earned in eight years.

I think this says it all. the TEXANS are 100% not going to pick at 1. i think its interesting that he doesnt mention future picks and specifically mentions 2-3 picks twice. maybe a 3 and a 4 this year? 2-4?

Anyways what do you guys think now?? i still feel that we prob have a deal in place and TD told em " hey if u find a better deal....take it"

Edited by Califalcon88

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first draft I can remember where no one wants to be the #1 pick... It's pretty amazing honestly.

Most of the teams at the top need QBs but this class isn't as strong, so everyone wants to trade down, but for a team like the Falcons that are not QB needy, it's a dream. It makes it cheap to move up to get who you want.

Texans reaction to someone overpaying for #1 spot.....

giphy.gif

haha these gifs always get me. but i think we wont have to pay as much as ppl think. at 6 you can still get an ELITE player, also McNair says himself that its a DE not a QB and the value isnt as hgh. i think a 3&4 and maybe a 2nd next year gets it done.

I wouldn't go as far to say 100% that they won't pick at #1, because they could pick Clowney and trade with whatever team picks the QB they want. Possibly the Falcons

New CBA makes that very very difficult to do.... they would have to pay the #6 guy #1 money under the new CBA, which means they should just take him at #1.

This is what makes it so hard this year. So many dang mediocre QBs.

“You got three quarterbacks and all of them have some holes in their resume,” McNair said. “A quarterback that goes out and performs for you and is a franchise quarterback is more valuable than a player playing another position, but there’s a lot more risk there. It’s a more difficult position to play and there are lot more failures.

“You drop down and there’s another group close behind, not exactly where they are, and maybe one of those quarterbacks will become better than one of these other three,” McNair said. “There are no slam dunks. There are no Andrew Lucks out there, no Peyton Mannings. If there were it would be an easy decision, but that’s not the case.”

If it contain a 1st next year or a 2nd this year I don't feel like a lot teams will be interested in trading with them. They will have two choices, either draft or take a lesser deal. The most I would give up for the 1st pick would be a future 1st and this year 3rd.

If it contain a 1st next year or a 2nd this year I don't feel like a lot teams will be interested in trading with them. They will have two choices, either draft or take a lesser deal. The most I would give up for the 1st pick would be a future 1st and this year 3rd.

I'd rather a future 2nd and 4th, and our 3rd and 6th this year.

This is what makes it so hard this year. So many dang mediocre QBs.

These QB's are not mediocre... There just isn't an Andrew Luck in the draft. Every QB looks sorry compared to him and RGIII

I'd rather a future 2nd and 4th, and our 3rd and 6th this year.

Yeah I just don't want to give up the 2nd round pick this year. With the #37 pick we could trade back a few picks and accquire a 3rd especially if we lose one.