G-Dawg's 2Nd Round Left Tackle Prospect

g-dawg

dc3b565836228143dae2965bbb98a79a.jpg

Ja'Wuan James

6'6", 311lbs.

35" arms (niccccce!!!!)

9 7/8" hand

Scouting Report - CBS Sports: (Rob Rang)

STRENGTHS: Surprisingly quick off the snap, showing the ability to slide to protect the edge against the variety of speed rushers he has faced in the SEC. Plays on the balls of his feet but with his knees bent and his butt down, putting him good position to shuffle laterally as well as anchor against a quality bull-rush. Surprisingly light feet also stand out while run-blocking, as does his competitive spirit. Powerful at the point of attack and can drive defenders off the ball. Not shy about peeling off of them to target would-be tacklers at the second level, as well. A plug and play candidate, James looks like a solid bet to crack the first 100 picks of the 2014 draft.

WEAKNESSES: Like most blockers with his frame, James occasionally struggles with pad level. When he drops his head, he can be beaten with a swim move over the top. This occurs most often while run blocking.--Rob Rang

PLAYER OVERVIEW

It is difficult to be overshadowed at 6-6, 324-pounds but given the high profile talent in Knoxville, James qualifies. The veteran of 37 consecutive starts at right tackle for the Vols entering the 2013 season, James is more fundamentally sound than talented junior left tackle Antonio "Tiny" Richardson and yet offers a similar package of size and athleticism.

Scouting Report: NFL.com (Nolan Nawrocki)

OVERVIEW

Prepped in Georgia. Enrolled in January 2010 and immediately took ownership of the right tackle position. Started all 49 games of his career (2010-13), setting a school record for career starts by an offensive lineman. Sprained his knee during Senior Bowl practice.

STRENGTHS

Outstanding size, girth and overall body mass. Good hand placement. Can steer and control blockers once he gets his hands on them. Very patient pass protector. Matches up very well vs. size and power (see Alabama). Battle-tested, experienced four-year starter in the SEC. Outstanding personal and football character. Very smart, mature and highly respected.

WEAKNESSES

Raw footwork. Has a lot of heaviness in body and can improve sustain. Lumbers to the second level and struggles to cut off and adjust to moving targets. Does not roll off the ball with power and generate strength or movement in the run game.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 2-3

BOTTOM LINE

Big, strong, heavy pass protector with good balance, anchor strength and hand use to handle power and speed. Does not affect the run game the same way and almost appears more destined for the left side in the pros. Has instant-starter potential.

-Nolan Nawrocki

I think if we traded for Clowney and could keep our 2nd round pick - this would be the guy. You might could get him 15 picks lower but would not take the chance - he played RT at UT but he is a pure LT prospect who projects perfectly as a LT in pros - very good in pass protection. long arms - dancing bear feet.

Not a bad consolation Tackle.

This is why the decision to move up for Mack or Clowney is so tough. If we go OT in the 1st, will there be a pass rusher that will have as much impact as a 2nd round Tackle?

It's really so hard to find a great pass rusher.

This is why the decision to move up for Mack or Clowney is so tough. If we go OT in the 1st, will there be a pass rusher that will have as much impact as a 2nd round Tackle?

yeah, I really think there are some decent options at Offensive Tackle at #37 - clearly not as good as Robinson/Matthews/Lewan - but guys that could be very solid pros.....JuWuan James is my favorite. Joel Bitonio does not have the ideal size but he is very good. both of those guys would likely be available at #37.

Of course in a Clowney/James scenario - you are giving up maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder this year and 1st next year - but honestly - if we solve our passrusher/offensive tackle issue in this draft - we can soldier thru.....Clowney would be a game-changer for our defense - of course Mack would as well with less trade comp.

Of course, I'm not of the opinion that we must take Clowney - I would like us to explore Clowney AND Mack - make your best deal there....getting a guy like JuWuan James would really improve our offensive line - think he could come in and take the starting Right Tackle spot right away and could eventually move over to left tackle. Could be a 10yr starter for Falcons.

IDK.....I think we're going to see a tackle run in the 1st thats going to possibly pull James into the back end of the 1st.

maybe but I have not seen any mocks out there having James in 1st round - most have him in the back of the 2nd round - I would go ahead and grab him at #37. I like him better than Morgan Moses

Nope I would still go Jimmie Ward in the 2nd and Brandon Thomas in the 4th. Thomas is going to be a steal for any team that gets him. The guy was a late 1st rd, early 2nd rd pk before he went down with the knee injury. We could take him and let him watch and learn this season. The Falcons would then have a potential high caliber starting OT in 2015 that would also be like a 1st rd pk since we'd be giving that up in the Clowney trade.

Guest King Jigsaw

I miss the good ol' days when I could mock him to us in the fourth round as a sleeper. Kid's really done well this offseason to raise his stock to about the same level as Tiny. Super impressive.

Good thinking outside of the box. I also think his talents could find himself as a left tackle in the future. Plug and play starter at RT, get him some reps in practice at LT and he could take over after a year. Just like Tyron Smith a couple years back.

I miss the good ol' days when I could mock him to us in the fourth round as a sleeper. Kid's really done well this offseason to raise his stock to about the same level as Tiny. Super impressive.

Same here. I had him in the 4th in my first mock and got slaughtered for ignoring the line and thinking a 4th rounder would be good enough. :D

maybe but I have not seen any mocks out there having James in 1st round - most have him in the back of the 2nd round - I would go ahead and grab him at #37. I like him better than Morgan Moses

If you've got an hour or so, listen to the podcast that The Audible put out yesterday (maybe it was Wed). It's Sigmund Bloom (whos a great football guy) and Lance Zierlein talking about the draft. They spend some time on James and discuss how a run on tackles could go 5-6 deep like 2008 did. I think James has elevated himself to ~6 on the available tackles list, so he could end up with a team like Carolina or Seattle.

My argument is in the reverse. I think with the 2nd round pass rushers, there is a far smaller drop off than the drop off with OTs, and it's less likely that you'd have to give up picks to get one of the top OTs.

Nothing against James. I like him as a pick... and he's been skyrocketing in mocks. I do like him better than his UT counterpart.

If you've got an hour or so, listen to the podcast that The Audible put out yesterday (maybe it was Wed). It's Sigmund Bloom (whos a great football guy) and Lance Zierlein talking about the draft. They spend some time on James and discuss how a run on tackles could go 5-6 deep like 2008 did. I think James has elevated himself to ~6 on the available tackles list, so he could end up with a team like Carolina or Seattle.

If that happens, it's all the more reason to take one early, and not trade up. If there's an OT run, then there's going to be some fabulous, unexpected talent that falls to our 2nd, and starter-worthy OT's would be gone by that point.

My argument is in the reverse. I think with the 2nd round pass rushers, there is a far smaller drop off than the drop off with OTs, and it's less likely that you'd have to give up picks to get one of the top OTs.

Nothing against James. I like him as a pick... and he's been skyrocketing in mocks. I do like him better than his UT counterpart.

I'm starting to think this way as well. That tackle board is going to get thin....whereas you can still probably get Attaochu at 37.

I watched a few Attaochu games last night and I'm very into the kid. Theres some rough edges to work but his performance in the Clemson game was unreal.

I'm starting to think this way as well. That tackle board is going to get thin....whereas you can still probably get Attaochu at 37.

I watched a few Attaochu games last night and I'm very into the kid. Theres some rough edges to work but his performance in the Clemson game was unreal.

And then double-dip in the 3rd- Marcus Smith.

It would depend on who was there. But I wouldnt be opposed to it. Though at some point, we're just going to have call it done and move forward with the guys we have on the roster. There's only so much room.

True enough, but with the system we are going to run, that's where we'd want numbers & depth- guys who can play multiple positions, can get to the QB, play the run in space, and cover some guys coming out of the backfield. Those guys should also be big contributors on ST.

I'm actually one who expects to see some out of Massaquoi and Maponga this year, with a few big guys in front of them... which also makes me like DaQuan Jones in the 3rd.

I like Attaochu, Van Noy, and Dee Ford, but I don't really see them being much better than what we have in Massaquoi and Osi.

To me it seems that we can get a tackle in the 2nd round that will be better than anyone on our line, or settle for another project pass rusher, and just relive what we've been through with Sidbury and Mass.

I like Attaochu, Van Noy, and Dee Ford, but I don't really see them being much better than what we have in Massaquoi and Osi.

To me it seems that we can get a tackle in the 2nd round that will be better than anyone on our line, or settle for another project pass rusher, and just relive what we've been through with Sidbury and Mass.

Van noy will definitely be. He can do it all. Very underrated. Attachou a little less. And ford is definitely a one trick pony.

I don't agree, but that's fine. It sounds like, since trading up would likely make getting a 2nd round OT impossible, that we're on the same page about not wanting to trade up.

If there's a run on OT's like what Larry is talking about, it's possible that someone like Ealy could fall to us in the 2nd.