Falcons May Draft Manziel (Pro Football Talk)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/report-falcons-not-interested-in-trading-up-to-no-1-for-clowney/

The Texans have identified the player they’d like to take at the top of the draft, and G.M. Rick Smith said Thursday that the team may trade down to get him.

That disclosure reinforces the idea that the Texans aren’t targeting defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, and that the Texans would trade down with a team that wants to spring up for Clowney.

According to SportsRadio 610 in Houston, the team that intends to trade up to No. 1 isn’t the Atlanta Falcons.

Not long ago, the Falcons were doing little to hide their interest in Clowney. And speculation had been mounting that the Falcons would trade up to No. 1 to get Clowney.

For the Texans, the more feasible approach would be to take Clowney at No. 1, wait for a trade partner to take the guy the Texans really want (e.g., Johnny Manziel), and then pull an Eli Manning/Philip Rivers trade, 10 years later.

By getting the word out that the Falcons don’t want Clowney, the Texans and the Falcons could be throwing dirt on the notion that the Texans will take Clowney and then trade him to the Falcons, if the Falcons can get Manziel. Absent that message, the Falcons could be susceptible to being leapfrogged by a team that wants Manziel. Which would keep the Falcons from getting Clowney, and the Texans from getting Manziel.

So, basically, it still remains impossible to know what to believe at this point.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BOOM!

I mocked this a while back and got laughed at. I'm going to laugh when we take Manziel and this board is inoperable for a week.

I'll laugh even harder when we take Manziel, don't trade him to the Texans, and he has Matt Ryan's job by next year.

0% chance

So this would benefit the Texans because we would trade Manziel and a pick to them for clowney I'm assuming?

Yes, but it would be cheaper for us than trading outright for the pick because it's basically like an insurance policy.

If something like this goes down (which is stupid unlikely, but then again we're not a stranger to crazy trades if you think back to the Abraham trade), we may be able to just give a 1st rounder next year and call it even.

Edited by Mr. Lubba Lubba©

Falcons could be trading up to 2-3 to get Manziel then trade to Houston? Because 6 is too low to guarantee Manziel will be there for the Texans, and 2 is too long for Clowney to be hanging around. So Texans don't want to trade spots with Falcons, just players.

Falcons could be trading up to 2-3 to get Manziel then trade to Houston? Because 6 is too low to guarantee Manziel will be there for the Texans, and 2 is too long for Clowney to be hanging around. So Texans don't want to trade spots with Falcons, just players.

I agree.. someone is going to swoop in and grab him at 5 if he gets past Cleveland.

I think this is the only plausible way to trade the Texans for the number 1 pick. Because right now they can just select who they want, and that's a big deal with QB. They also would be happy with Clowney. But if they trade out of number 1 then don't get the QB they wanted, then they are ******. So the best way to go is simply to select the Clown, see if we can get their guy, then do some deal that we've already agreed with them on to switch the players.

MANZIEL COME TO THE ATL!!! BRING HIM HOME TD!!!

Even if we did something like that we would still need to trade additional picks.

It would be insanely stupid because the Texans would have all the leverage. They could keep Clowney and they know there's no way we'd keep Manziel.

We'd agree ahead of time.

But I think it would be awesome if they screwed us and we backed our way into keeping Manziel!!!! GET ER DONE TD!!!!!

If the want Manziel take him at 1. It's to dangerous to gamble and wait

No, it makes sense for them to do it this way if they also feel very good about Clowney. This way, they either get Clowney or they get Manziel plus picks. If they thought Manziel was much better than Clowney, you'd be right. But I think they probably feel those players have somewhat equivalent value to them, so they might as well go with an option where they could end up with Manziel plus picks.

Edited by coach petrino

We'd agree ahead of time.

But I think it would be awesome if they screwed us and we backed our way into keeping Manziel!!!! GET ER DONE TD!!!!!

Ryan's cap hit would make it problematic.

We'd get as much use by drafting a kicker with the #6 pick.

If the want Manziel take him at 1. It's to dangerous to gamble and wait

Yeah, I agree, but Texans want the extra pick(s) without moving down to 6. They'd have to know the Falcons have a deal in place for #2 to guarantee it. Rams are ok with moving to 6.

Even if we did something like that we would still need to trade additional picks.

It would be insanely stupid because the Texans would have all the leverage. They could keep Clowney and they know there's no way we'd keep Manziel.

Well obviously, they'd have some agreement in place before they made a move. I trust 3 GMs and Rich McKay putting their heads together could come up with something creative.

The more I think about it though, if Texans want Manziel they just need to get him at #1, because he has to pass through at least 2 QB-thirsty teams and 2 teams that may trade down.

Edited by Mr. Lubba Lubba©

Ryan's cap hit would make it problematic.

We'd get as much use by drafting a kicker with the #6 pick.

I agree it's a long shot unless the Texans tried to screw us. If they did, we could keep Manziel, have him learn behind Ryan for a year or two, then trade Ryan for a king's ransom. We'd pay 18 million in dead money, but it would be worth it. In the meantime, Manziel won't cost very much so 3 years from now we'd be *** raping the whole division.

What if the Falcons have a cheaper deal already done with the Jags at #3?

If the Rams decide to get Manziel then the Falcons will draft Mack or Robinson. If the Rams pass on Manziel then the Falcons will draft him and send him to the Texans for Clowney along with a mid round pick.

I think it makes no sense for the Falcons to have to trade up right behind the Texans at 2 and give up a significant amount of picks just to trade with them and give up even more picks.

What if the Falcons have a cheaper deal already done with the Jags at #3?

If the Rams decide to get Manziel then the Falcons will draft Mack or Robinson. If the Rams pass on Manziel then the Falcons will draft him and send him to the Texans for Clowney along with a mid round pick.

I think it makes no sense for the Falcons to have to trade up right behind the Texans at 2 and give up a significant amount of picks just to trade with them and give up even more picks.

Yeah, #2 might get hot for Mack when Clowney goes #1. Then Jags might move back 3 spots with all the QBs/OTs on the board still.

Not to mention, Jags and Rams have TD friendly GMs so it'd be easier to deal with for TD.

This is BS. The Texans are getting the raw end of the deal.

The whole point of them wanting Manziel but not at #1 is to gain more picks.

If they draft Clowney, then the Falcons trades up with ANOTHER team tp get Manziel and they swap players, then the team the Falcons trade with would reap the benefits and Houston none.

Why am I even entertaining this article? Lol

I agree it's a long shot unless the Texans tried to screw us. If they did, we could keep Manziel, have him learn behind Ryan for a year or two, then trade Ryan for a king's ransom. We'd pay 18 million in dead money, but it would be worth it. In the meantime, Manziel won't cost very much so 3 years from now we'd be *** raping the whole division.