Preparing To Trade Up.......the Signs Are Present

.....And not necessarily up from #6 to #1.

I'll admit that I'm making inferences based on the following factors.

1) Ever since compensatory picks were announced I've circled the 5th round pick as one that would likely be used in a trade up. Why? Because the 4th round compensatory pick we received is essentially an improved 5th rounder------ the compensatory is pick #139, our 5th rounder is #147. Getting rid of the 5th rounder would be "painless" in a sense.

2) We've been linked to a lot mid-round TEs, MLBs, and a few 3rd day FB prospects

3) We worked out Greg Jones a few weeks ago. We didn't sign him, BUT we also didn't bring in another vet FB for a workout. To me, that brings up an interesting inference: I believe the Falcons have intentions on drafting a FB, they may even have someone targeted in the late rounds.

I believe we have a comfort level with Greg Jones. I believe initially our plan was to sign him if whomever we were targeting in the later round weren't there. But it is also possible that he is also a back up plan if we deal the pick that was designated for a FB.

4) The same theory applies for our workout with Dan Connor and signing Bear Pascoe. We appear to be getting contingencies in place for positions we would address with mid-round picks, should we actually move the picks.

Conclusion:

I believe the Falcons are closer to calling Houston's bluff than they are to giving in to the outrageously high demands that have been reported.

IF we move up for Clowney--whether it be with Houston or St. Louis, I expect the trade to look more like Vick the (Swap ones for a 3, 5, and a player) or Orlando Pace (swap ones for a 3, 4, and 7) trade ups.

The more likely scenarios, though, would involve moving back up into the back end of the first or the second, using our 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up for a pass rusher in the first or HB or safety of our choice in the 2nd, respectively

Bear Pascoe can do both at the same time while taking the end-around 90 yards to the house.

Nope, no he can't. You're delusional. We needed both, and we will still have both, and both will be on the field at the same time, in numerous plays.

The 5th round of the draft is where I've seen things get a little thin. I'd be cool with moving that one in a package.

If we sent our 1st, 3rd, 5th (maybe another mid next year) to move up, I'd want TD to look into trading down from 37 to the mid 40s to replace the 3rd.

Either way, we have options.

2014 1st, 3rd, 6th, plus 2015 2nd, 4th, 7th (from the Rams), seems like a good deal to me.

2014 1st, 3rd, 6th, plus 2015 2nd, 4th, 7th (from the Rams), seems like a good deal to me.

IDK...seems a little too heavy for me. Thats an entire draft.

I'd rather just stay put and take whos there. Its not as sexy but I think the overally returns are probably better.

I may have officially just jumped off the trade up train.

IDK...seems a little too heavy for me. Thats an entire draft.

I'd rather just stay put and take whos there. Its not as sexy but I think the overally returns are probably better.

I may have officially just jumped off the trade up train.

It's basically what we gave up for Trufant, plus two picks next year. The only way that I see them taking fewer picks, is if we give them our 2015 1st, which I don't want to do. I'd rather the scenario that I posted before.

3) We worked out Greg Jones a few weeks ago. We didn't sign him, BUT we also didn't bring in another vet FB for a workout. To me, that brings up an interesting inference: I believe the Falcons have intentions on drafting a FB, they may even have someone targeted in the late rounds.

I believe we have a comfort level with Greg Jones. I believe initially our plan was to sign him if whomever we were targeting in the later round weren't there. But it is also possible that he is also a back up plan if we deal the pick that was designated for a FB.

4) The same theory applies for our workout with Dan Connor and signing Bear Pascoe. We appear to be getting contingencies in place for positions we would address with mid-round picks, should we actually move the picks.

Or Falcons are planning to trade back in the draft and Jones, Connor and Pascoe are simply camp bodies who'll be cut as soon as a better player is available.