Houston Wants 1St, 2Nd & 4Th This Year + 1St Next

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the 2nd and 4th was a 3rd and 5th I'd do it. Although the 4th rounder is offset by the compensatory 4th

Our 4th round this year is like a 3rd because we're pick up top. The comp pick is at the end of the round 30 some picks later

The most I'd do is 1st, 4th and 1st in 2015 and even then I'd just tell them to **** off. That 1st in 2015 simply isn't worth giving up for a player who has motivational issues on the field.

Also this draft is to deep to throw so many picks away in it.

All in all even if they want less it is a stupid idea.

At #6 we can fix our Oline for the next decade, with picks 2nd-4th we can get a starting safety, a young fat a@@ NT and a pass rushing DE. The rest of the picks can be BPA and we then go into 2015 with a full draft.

**** the entire idea of trading anything for Clowney.

Edited by MAD597

Guest fibonacci

where's all the people who said they only wanted a third? then changed their story to two seconds at most.

I tried telling everyone what they wanted. some listened but some really had it in their heads they could get away with a second and a third.

where's all the people who said they only wanted a third? then changed their story to two seconds at most.

I tried telling everyone what they wanted. some listened but some really had it in their heads they could get away with a second and a third.

the truth is the best Falcons could hope for is giving up #1-006 and 2015 1st rounder

the worst Falcons would give up is #1-006, #2-037 and 2015 1st rounder

I say the deal gets done at #1-006, #4-103 and 2015 1st rounder - or it does not get done at all. my prediction.

I wouldn't even do a second and 3rd this year. The draft is deep and that second and 3rd could be our starting safety and pass rushing DE.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/rick-smith-knows-who-he-wants-sees-value-in-trading-down/

Rick Smith knows who he wants, sees value in trading down

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 1, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT

ricksmith.jpg?w=250

AP

Texans General Manager Rick Smith knows who he wants to select with the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. Unless some team offers him a package of picks that he wants even more.

I absolutely know who I want,” Smith told FOX Sports Southwest. “I know the guys we like. The fortunate thing about having the first pick is I’ve got the pick of the litter, so I will know exactly who I want at that point.”

Most people seem to think the player Smith wants is South Carolina defensive endJadeveon Clowney, but there are those who think he wants Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel, Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles or Buffalo linebacker Kahlil Mack. The question is whether, at some point in the next week, some team will bowl Smith over with an offer that makes Smith move down.

“Now where the game is played is if there’s an opportunity to move and, in this case, obviously to move back if somebody else wants to come up to that first pick,” Smith said. “Then you weigh what the opportunities are versus who the individual is that you want to take and what that value is relative to the value that somebody might be offering you. But as you move through the draft, obviously you don’t know who’s going to be picked when.”

There will probably be some team that loves Clowney enough to give the Texans a good deal to move up to No. 1. Smith may end up with the player he wants, and some extra picks as well.

I actually do not want a OT at #6 but that trade is just insane. Stay at 6 or move down and draft an OT if Mack is also gone at 6... though I still hope there is a chance to draft Mack at 6.

I'd be ok trading down and getting Lewan as our OT and getting a few more picks this year.

I've been saying all along the value to Houston is this years 2nd. A year where if you select right you can get a top 15 talent in the early 2nd or where they can package those two 2nds and move back into the first. They are also going to want next years first as well. That's the starting point if you want to get Houston to listen two 1st and this years 2nd. One problem with ATL trying to trade future picks is that Houston will probably devalue them. Cleveland's, Oakland's, etc 2015 1st is worth a whole lot more then ATL's.

Edited by GrumpyGrumbler

I've been saying all along the value to Houston is this years 2nd. A year where if you select right you can get a top 15 talent in the early 2nd or where they can package those two 2nds and move back into the first. They are also going to want next years first as well. That's the starting point if you want to get Houston to listen two 1st and this years 2nd. One problem with ATL trying to trade future picks is that Houston will probably devalue them. Cleveland's, Oakland's, etc 2015 1st is worth a whole lot more then ATL's.

Houston can demand anything they want and reject anything they want. If I was Houston, I would ask for what you mention above - however, it does not mean Falcons have to comply.

I do believe Falcons want Clowney but I don't think they are desperate for him - that is why its probably less than 50% chance we end up with him. should be interesting.

This is an quote from the nfl.com article.

http://www.nfl.com/n...nt-at-no-1-pick

"Now where the game is played is if there's an opportunity to move and, in this case, obviously to move back if somebody else wants to come up to that first pick," Smith said. "Then you weigh what the opportunities are versus who the individual is that you want to take and what that value is relative to the value that somebody might be offering you."

My take :

1. They want a QB, you don't consider other offers unless you feel your prospect may still be available after trading down.

2. We haven't tried to hide any of the smoke when it come to our affection for clowney the Texans know this. Henceforth Clowney won't make it pass #2

3. I fully Expect Houston to name either Bortles or Manzel as their pick before next Wednesday then the real games will begin

Edited by atlGM

Houston can demand anything they want and reject anything they want. If I was Houston, I would ask for what you mention above - however, it does not mean Falcons have to comply.

I do believe Falcons want Clowney but I don't think they are desperate for him - that is why its probably less than 50% chance we end up with him. should be interesting.

Can't argue with that. Just throwing it out there for the sake of argument.

Misleading title as this is the opinion of a beat writer and is not even quoting the ubiquitous "unnamed" with in the organization. His opinion seems more rooted in the draft value chart rather than reality. If their was a QB other teams were salivating for it would be a different story. The Texans have zero leverage

Call their bluff and let them pick. If Houston takes a QB and anyone else in the top 5 takes Watkins we are golden with one of the big 4 dropping in our laps.

Houston isn't gonna trade down. We're not gonna overpay and there's no guarantee Bortles or Manzel makes it pass Jacksonville and Cleveland. The only way they trade down is if they like Bridgewater which imo would be their smartest move

You all know that even if we get clowney, we are still probably not a superbowl contender with the strength of the NFC right? This kind of move would screw us for next year. Unless you are a team like Denver or New England that have a close window this would be a bad idea.