Remember: Dimitroff Has Two Advisors Now That Have Sat In Gm Chair

Well....no Super Bowl for Falcons until they're dominant on D....best chance of winning one.

No argument here. Whilst all the homers have been chanting SB...SB the last 3-4 years, I kept pointing out we didn't have the D. But...it's at least a two-year fix...if we hit this year and next, the OL can be wrapped up with a neat tidy bow with one player. Now, it's not like we'll be Gods, but it's good enough to win a SB once we get our D together.

I mean why get our QB killed when a Clowney or Mack only soves 25-33% of our defensive woes?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We would be fools not to sit at 6 and take Jake Matthews. I want Greg Robinson more, but it's not worth giving up another starter or two for him or Clowney. Dimitroff said in the presser that versatility is key on the offensive line. No one has his combination of SEC experience, versatility, and technique. I agree he looks light with the way he absorbs blockers instead of standing them up, but the guy had 24 reps. It's not a stretch to say he could get that close to 30 on an NFL workout regiment.

Not to mention he's been taught and coached by a Hall of Famer his entire life. If you prescribe to the 10,000 hour expertise, he's closer than anyone else in this draft.

Edited by Power I

Heres my prediction from what Im reading. We trade up to 1 and get Clowney, probably have to give up next years first which hopefully is number 32 and maybe a third rounder to move up five spots. If we get Clowney and keep all of our picks this year! Look out. I think Houston takes Mack or OT at no.6 and next year they use theyre two first rd picks to move up to 1 and get Marcus Mariotta. The question I have is who do we take at 37? The best TE or the best Safety or even a stud RB. I doubt RB because this draft is so deep so maybe we can get that big back out of Towson in later rounds. Im thinking we will get impact players early and get OTs later in the draft. Remember Clabo and Dahl were not early round picks. I do think we need another big fast WR because Roddy is getting old and we need depth. We need depth period, found out the hard way last year but if we get Clowney or even Mack we will have a dominant D. Running a 3-4 scheme will be much better

No argument here. Whilst all the homers have been chanting SB...SB the last 3-4 years, I kept pointing out we didn't have the D. But...it's at least a two-year fix...if we hit this year and next, the OL can be wrapped up with a neat tidy bow with one player. Now, it's not like we'll be Gods, but it's good enough to win a SB once we get our D together.

I mean why get our QB killed when a Clowney or Mack only soves 25-33% of our defensive woes?

When Abe was healthy during the regular season last year, we gave up an average 18.7 points a game. During the playoffs, when he was hurt, we gave up an average 27 points a game. A pass rush can have a very drastic effect. Also we fixed a lot of holes on defense. FS is the only major hole left. MLB, WLB, and SLB are question marks, because we do not know how Wor and Bartu will progress or if Spoon will be healthy all season, but We can get some insurance in the 4th/5th for that problem. And biermann is athletic enough to play SLB for us for some time.

If we want to win games, we have to fix the defense. Our offense scored only 4 points less on average this year compared to last year. Shraeder was graded as .9 by PFF in his limited snaps. Hawley was graded as .2, so if we can roll with hawley, then I feel confident we can roll with Shraeder for one season.

Some areas are going to take bandaid fixes. Oline is going to need a bandaid. Defense needs a real fix. We cannot expect Matt Ryan to score more than 27.7 points on average. ****, only the broncos averaged more than that.

What? We were a play way from the Super Bowl. One bad fluke season in 6 years and everybody goes crazy.

At ease lieutenant. I'm simply talking about the drafting during TD's tenure and the building of this team, which has been subpar. And please spare me on the "one play/5yds-away-from-the-Super Bowl-routine". We as fans have to stop clinging to that as our claim to fame. One bad fluke season and 5 winning seasons still equals only one playoff win. But maybe you're content with that.

Edited by Beast-N-Da-Sheetz

When Abe was healthy during the regular season last year, we gave up an average 18.7 points a game. During the playoffs, when he was hurt, we gave up an average 27 points a game. A pass rush can have a very drastic effect. Also we fixed a lot of holes on defense. FS is the only major hole left. MLB, WLB, and SLB are question marks, because we do not know how Wor and Bartu will progress or if Spoon will be healthy all season, but We can get some insurance in the 4th/5th for that problem. And biermann is athletic enough to play SLB for us for some time.

If we want to win games, we have to fix the defense. Our offense scored only 4 points less on average this year compared to last year. Shraeder was graded as .9 by PFF in his limited snaps. Hawley was graded as .2, so if we can roll with hawley, then I feel confident we can roll with Shraeder for one season.

Some areas are going to take bandaid fixes. Oline is going to need a bandaid. Defense needs a real fix. We cannot expect Matt Ryan to score more than 27.7 points on average. ****, only the broncos averaged more than that.

Beirman has survived on motor alone. Almost zero natural talent. Even when he sniffs the QB, he's cant seal the deal.

We don't have one interior D lineman who can get a consistent push

No FS

No DE capable of consistent pressure

No OLB capable of consistent pressure

That's 4 players IF all your ? LBs work out

Try again...

Houston/Atlanta Trade:

Its this simple. Falcons will offer #1-006, #4-103 and 1st rounder in 2015

Houston will want #1-006, #2-037 and 1st rounder in 2015

Falcons will counter at #1-006, #3-068 and 1st rounder in 2015 - take it or leave it.

that is what I think happens. If Texans pass on Clowney, Falcons start over with Rams but final offer will be less than to Texans.

Arguably there may be blue chip OTs most years but only if you're picking in the top 10. Do you expect us to pick in the top 10 a lot more? If we don't address OT this year maybe we will pick on the top 10 next year and have another shot at getting an OT then... That is...unless we trade that pick to Houston... rolleyes.gif

And if Clowney is a generational talent, why did he have 8 out of 11 games with 0 sacks this year? And his coach called him out for his lack of work ethic. That doesn't concern you?

No it doesn't.I been following Clowney's off season workouts like a Hawk the guy is working his tail off.

I get we need an influx but Falconaide made some great points in an earlier post.

Either way if the FO make a choice and go defense I'll bet you the o-line is a alot better than last year.Remember 2012 we didn't have a great running game or a great line but they still managed to do the job and heaven forbid almost got to the big dance whose to suggest otherwise we can't do it now.

The only part of that o-line that really needed to be solidified was the pocket you give Ryan something to step up into we'll be good.

You let Ryan run the no-huddle/hurry up which he couldn't run last year this to will help the line out also.

Heaven forbid we get any semblence of a run game,there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Beirman has survived on motor alone. Almost zero natural talent. Even when he sniffs the QB, he's cant seal the deal.

We don't have one interior D lineman who can get a consistent push

No FS

No DE capable of consistent pressure

No OLB capable of consistent pressure

That's 4 players IF all your ? LBs work out

Try again...

Corey Peters had 5 sacks last year. I think he can get a consistent push, especially if a guy like Clowney is next to him with Soliai and Jackson taking the double team on the other side.

I already admitted FS was still a hole.

How is DE and OLB two question marks, when you said my LBs work out? Last I checked we do not have 4 LBs and 2 DEs. Shouldn't DE/OLB be one question mark, which would potentially get fixed by Clowney.

Corey Peters had 5 sacks last year. I think he can get a consistent push, especially if a guy like Clowney is next to him with Soliai and Jackson taking the double team on the other side.

I already admitted FS was still a hole.

How is DE and OLB two question marks, when you said my LBs work out? Last I checked we do not have 4 LBs and 2 DEs. Shouldn't DE/OLB be one question mark, which would potentially get fixed by Clowney.

I don't see how a defensive lineman can play 16 games and not get 4-5 sacks. I know it happens, I just don't get it, having played DE myself.

You MUST have two edge rushers...not my words, the God Polian spoketh this. Doesn't matter if it's two DEs, two OLBs or one of each.

We're light years behind Seattle and SF even if we do draft Clowney or Mack.

All that being said, you won't see me bitczhen if we take either one, I just think OT completes the offense and I'd rather have one working car than two up on blocks.

Based on what Ive seen so far, my opinion is they're doing all they can to see what the best deal is. Meanwhile, they have an acceptable amount in mind. If we get a good deal, we'll move and if not, stay at 6. JMO

+1

Logical. Any GM worth his salt has several contingency plans

Everyone keeps talking about 3 picks #6 #37 and 1st pick 2015

somewhere there is a thread I read yesterday that had a post quoting some person that has kept track of all trades on the floor of every draft for over 20 years.

His thoughts were that THIS YEAR FOR THIS TRADE it wout take 4 picks #6 #37 and 1st and (at least 3rd) pick of 2015

don't ask me to find it --cause I really don't care --if you need it you find it

Everyone keeps talking about 3 picks #6 #37 and 1st pick 2015

somewhere there is a thread I read yesterday that had a post quoting some person that has kept track of all trades on the floor of every draft for over 20 years.

His thoughts were that THIS YEAR FOR THIS TRADE it wout take 4 picks #6 #37 and 1st and (at least 3rd) pick of 2015

don't ask me to find it --cause I really don't care --if you need it you find it

All we can go by is the value chart

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

If a team wants more or will take less is not known till after the fact.

I agree with another poster, I don't think TD is willing to give full chart value for the pick with the other options they could draft @6.

All we can go by is the value chart

http://profootballta...ft-trade-chart/

If a team wants more or will take less is not known till after the fact.

I agree with another poster, I don't think TD is willing to give full chart value for the pick with the other options they could draft @6.

I think what the man was implying was that this year for Clowney you had to throw the charts out the window

would I love to have Clowney YES BUT would I give away the farm for him NO

I feel fixing the O-line is priority #1 STILL

2nd (for me) inside DTs(or NTs) that can actually collapse the pocket consistently

3RD FS

4th outside pass rush

That's priorities NOTE priorities do not have to be filled in decending sequence

Falcons have already addressed the Oline- there is a new Oline coach and a new RG, they signed Hawley and Carimi.

Reports are that Holmes and Konz are working hard. Both Baker and Johnson are recovering well.

Not taking a OT at 6 will not doom Ryan to IR next year. Wasn't just the Oline- Gonzo was a horrible blocker, starting FB went out second game, both starting WRs and starting RB missed huge chunks of time.

Find blocking TE & FB late rounds/FA, have the skill positions stay healthy, Oline will look much better with or without a pick at 6.

Dimi already addressed the Oline by drafting Sackmaker Baker, Dead President, MyJohnson, Surelock Holmes, King Konz, Reynolds Wrap and Throw Hawley. He also signed Blood, Manu, Shredder, PhillipKeith, Terron, VeeTek, Romberg, Bruggerman and Gunn. Then he either cut or let Clabo, Dahl and McClure walk. What did that get us bro? So now he brings in a first round bust like Carimi and signs a KC guard that lost his job to the guy we should have signed. Of course the Giants jumped all over him. For less money. And you're happy? It's obvious to me the man knows absolutely nothing about building an NFL caliber Oline. You can say the same for the Dline. I think our best bet is to tie Dimi up and lock him in a closet in the basement of the Branch until the draft is over next weekend. angry.png

let me rephrase, there is no reason that Carimi, Asamoah etc can't be as good a unit as the DL.

There's no reason I can't be a wagon if I had wheels. Point is this is not an NFL line right now, it's a collection of guys that we hope can become one. Clowney would be great but Matthews/Lewan/Robinson and Attachou/ford +all our picks would be greater.

There's no reason I can't be a wagon if I had wheels. Point is this is not an NFL line right now, it's a collection of guys that we hope can become one. Clowney would be great but Matthews/Lewan/Robinson and Attachou/ford +all our picks would be greater.

Well put. We have do have a "collection"! Need a 'unit'

Going to be a huge disappointment if Falcons don't land Clowney

Coming off a 4-12 season

Ticket sales will be down

No buzz in the building

rebuild process has kicked in

Back to the good ole days

Pandering to fanbase who consistenyly want style over substance and flash over toguhness, is why we are in the current mess.

Here's the deal. Pioli brought in his bust draft picks at KC. All the ex-KC guys we signed didn't live up to their draft expectations in KC.

So let's say they succeed. Pioli redeems himself.

But if they fail...You really have to question our FO, not only in their inability to scout talent, but also their ulterior motives and ego.

OT was the worst problem not OG. Considering that Carimi is often projected as a guard at this point and was never any good at OT in the NFL to begin with, we have not addressed OT AT ALL. Look at the mass suckage:

You said Falcons haven't addressed the Oline- yes they have- they got a new Oline coach and a new RG- that IS addressing the Oline- need to do something in the draft, draft isn't here yet.

and, as usual, you ignored the rest of my post.

You've convinced yourself that if the Falcons don't spend the 6th pick on an Olineman that Ryan will be in a body cast by week 6. It's just not true.

You persistently ignore all the other factors that contributed to the problems.

1. lack of coherence- never had the same group out there for consecutive games. Same 5 players playing together the whole year would have made a huge difference. For someone who studies the Oline, you are curiously silent on how important it is to have all 5 players on the same page.

2. injuries to skill position players- Jones being hurt meant the D could crowd the LOS, SJax being hurt meant they didn't have to respect the run, White's injury meant that they didn't have to double team him- assuming they're all healthy this year, Oline's job will be much easier.

3. blocking from other positions- Gonzo was a horrible blocker, the starting FB went down, RBs missed their fair share of blocks.

Add a 2nd rounder from the draft, get the same 5 starting for weeks at a time, get healthy all around, add a solid FB/TE to the mix and the Oline will look much better.

If the best player at 6 is an Olineman, great, but if Mack is there, really good bet they go Mack at 6 and Oline at 37.

I don't see how a defensive lineman can play 16 games and not get 4-5 sacks. I know it happens, I just don't get it, having played DE myself.

You MUST have two edge rushers...not my words, the God Polian spoketh this. Doesn't matter if it's two DEs, two OLBs or one of each.

We're light years behind Seattle and SF even if we do draft Clowney or Mack.

All that being said, you won't see me bitczhen if we take either one, I just think OT completes the offense and I'd rather have one working car than two up on blocks.

First, we are not talking about DEs. We are talking about DTs. Justin Smith on SF had 6.5 sacks last year. That is with all the talent on their defense. Seahawks had 1 guy in the middle with 5+sacks. 5+ sacks is good for a DT.

We have a few options at Edge rusher #2. We have Osi or Mass or even Bartu. Bartu had 3.5 sacks as a rookie at SLB, which is our second outside rush point, if we send more than 4 guys. With guys like Jackson taking the double team and Clowney on the other side, I could see Bartu improving to 6-7 sacks.

Lets say we complete the offense. How well do you think the offense will play? What do you think our overage points per game would be?

Houston/Atlanta Trade:

Its this simple. Falcons will offer #1-006, #4-103 and 1st rounder in 2015

Houston will want #1-006, #2-037 and 1st rounder in 2015

Falcons will counter at #1-006, #3-068 and 1st rounder in 2015 - take it or leave it.

that is what I think happens. If Texans pass on Clowney, Falcons start over with Rams but final offer will be less than to Texans.

I agree G-Dawg and I think they'll take it. I'd still rather keep our picks, take Matthews at 6 and Attachou at 37 but... This would be a fair deal and I think our FO really wants Clowney.

Edited by CraigSmackDaddy