Remember: Dimitroff Has Two Advisors Now That Have Sat In Gm Chair

g-dawg

espnapi_dm_140122_nfl_news_scott_pioli_falcons_wmain.jpgDevaney_420_310_April6.jpg

everybody is so worried that Thomas Dimitroff is going to go off "half-cocked" and give away the farm for Clowney. I honestly don't think it will happen. Scott Pioli and Billy Devaney - neither of those guys were big trade-up guys at NE/KC and St. Louis, respectively.

Arthur Blank did not pay the extra $2mm in salary for Pioli/Devaney to watch the Falcons draft Clowney and no other players in the top 100 while giving away next year's 1st rounder. I think Dimitroff brought in Pioli/Devaney to "curb TD's enthusiasm" and lust for trading up.

I am not saying Falcons won't trade up for Clowney - what I am saying is it won't be a total surrender on trade negotiations. Dimitroff admitted that it would certainly take next year's 1st to get there - he's right about that - you did not here anything about the 2nd round pick this year.

If Falcons are inclined to pursue Clowney, I think we will be pleasantly surprised at what we gave up to get him - because it will be on OUR TERMS or it won't happen. I think Falcons stand firm at giving up no more than our 3rd this year and 1st next year - if Texans don't want that - then it won't happen.

relax people. Pioli and Devaney are going to moderate Dimitroff a tad. Otherwise, what was the point in bringing in Pioli/Devaney?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes everyone think that Blank feels the need to curb TD's enthusiasm? For all any of you know, Blank could be pushing for Clowney.

everyone just assumes that TD is the only guy making picks. Got some breaking news for you, he's not. Every pick is the result of all of the FO guys, the coaches, and the owner giving input.

Incompatible statements. I will NOT be pleasantly surprised if we give up our 2015 1st. I will be LIVID!

You seem so willing to toss away our 2015 1st. I'm not. I want to keep our 1st next year and our 2nd this year which basically means NOT trading up to #1.

If we trade up for Clowney it means we haven't addressed OT which means we are likely picking in the top 10 again next year. But...that also means that Houston would own that top 10 pick. No thanks.

Falcons have already addressed the Oline- there is a new Oline coach and a new RG, they signed Hawley and Carimi.

Reports are that Holmes and Konz are working hard. Both Baker and Johnson are recovering well.

Not taking a OT at 6 will not doom Ryan to IR next year. Wasn't just the Oline- Gonzo was a horrible blocker, starting FB went out second game, both starting WRs and starting RB missed huge chunks of time.

Find blocking TE & FB late rounds/FA, have the skill positions stay healthy, Oline will look much better with or without a pick at 6.

Incompatible statements. I will NOT be pleasantly surprised if we give up our 2015 1st. I will be LIVID!

You seem so willing to toss away our 2015 1st. I'm not. I want to keep our 1st next year and our 2nd this year which basically means NOT trading up to #1.

If we trade up for Clowney it means we haven't addressed OT which means we are likely picking in the top 10 again next year. But...that also means that Houston would own that top 10 pick. No thanks.

There is absolutely ZERO correlation between picking Clowney and our future record. You are smarter than that.

Swapping Holmes for Robinson or Matthews would do a he11 of a lot more for this team than swapping Osi (and a bunch of picks) for Clowney.

We will not have a winning record with the current OTs. You can quote me on that, save it, whatever. It's 100% true. I was harping about the right side of the OL since preseason when many here were convinced that Holmes was God's gift to the OL.

lets be clear. You would have never quoted me bc I don't post enough. Point is, the OL is a concern but as a unit it can be better than the defensive line.

In those 33% of seasons he's stayed mostly healthy and played adequately, yes. However even though Baker is paid like a franchise OT, he is clearly not one.

you are arguing not being objective and are changing your tune. Baker either is or isn't better than Holmes? Empirically he is. Period.

If you want to be pisssed about his pay, contract...then fine. Bottom line he is actually decent when not hurt. Don't mix his pay for serviceability..and he is NOT paid like a franchise LT.

Baker is better than Holmes but he can't be trusted to protect Ryan's blindside every year when he's VERY OFTEN been hurt or under performed. We need a major talent influx at OT. Ideally someone who can play LT and RT so we can put him at whatever spot we need him.

true. Matthews would be that fit. However, Baker can play. Clowney is a generational talent. There are blue chip OTs every year. Let's keep it in context, IMO.

Lol, SP and BD were hired and brought in by TD. They needed jobs and were friends of TDs. They both are also good at evaluating talent.

TD is still calling the shots.

As far as compensation goes to trade up for Clowey it really depends on what they want and how our guys feel about our team.

Why do you keep mentioning Carimi? He's been a total bust in the NFL thus far. He was projected to be a stud LT out of the draft but he's been cut multiple times and moved to guard. We cannot project Carimi to be the savior at RT, far from it. He will compete for a roster spot at OT or OG. That's it.

'Keep mentioning Carimi'? Dude, relax, it's literally the first time I've EVER mentioned him.

even empirically Baker is better than Holmes. Period.

It's hard To be better than anyone when you are hurt all the time. Baker missed games in 4 of 6 season. OT is a Big need and without upgrade will mean 100mill QB can't do his best, and a 50 mill WR can't do his and whatever we end up paying Julio will be less than effective too.

I don't think Pioli and Devaney were brought in to curb TD "keep TD in line" I think if anything they were TD's idea because he knows how important this draft is and wants to hit on as much picks as possible and not have any misses. TD even said it himself today when mentioning how we need "instant impact" players and not guys who take 6 weeks to develop

What makes everyone think that Blank feels the need to curb TD's enthusiasm? For all any of you know, Blank could be pushing for Clowney.

everyone just assumes that TD is the only guy making picks. Got some breaking news for you, he's not. Every pick is the result of all of the FO guys, the coaches, and the owner giving input.

I can't believe somebody gets it!

Arguably there may be blue chip OTs most years but only if you're picking in the top 10. Do you expect us to pick in the top 10 a lot more?

And if Clowney is a generational talent, why did he have 8 out of 11 games with 0 sacks this year? And his coach called him out for his lack of work ethic. That doesn't concern you?

double and triple teamed all year. You think the NFL is going to double team him and let Soliali or Jackson crush there RB or QB? Look at USCs other DL and their stats.

Why do you keep mentioning Carimi? He's been a total bust in the NFL thus far. He was projected to be a stud LT out of the draft but he's been cut multiple times and moved to guard. We cannot project Carimi to be the savior at RT, far from it. He will compete for a roster spot at OT or OG. That's it.

Bu bu bu but Tice is gonna fix 'em...fix 'em all reeeeel good :D

False!