Banned For Life

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will sell the team to Shelly (estranged wife). He still wins.

I think a man in his position should not express those views nor talk about them nor act on them nor make decisions based on them, but I do think Ronald will sue whomever recorded him illegaly.

I don't agree with his views and think he is a racist pig, but I am sure there are more than a few of the people calling for his head that have said things they "Thought" were in private that were despicable as well.

I know the point is that an NBA owner in a league that is 70% African AMerican and has this opinion of his employees and tenants is completely abserd...

Not sure if I agree that the punishment here fits the crime but from a practical standpoint and the league and franchise standpoints IT HAD TO HAPPEN. They're never going to be able to sweep this under the rug, and it would have been bad for the league and it would have been worse for the Clippers.. Would have been better if they could have gotten Sterling to sell voluntarily though imo. I don't agree with what he said but punishing a guy for free speech in what he thought was a private conversation is hard pill to swallow in it's own end.

Not sure if I agree that the punishment here fits the crime but from the league and franchises standpoint IT HAD TO HAPPEN. They're never going to be able to sweep this under the rug, and it would have been bad for the league and it would have been worse for the Clippers.. Would have been better though if they could have gotten Sterling to sell voluntarily.

I understand forcing him out as an owner. That part I have no problem with. It would be like McDonald's revoking a franchise license from an owner who made comments that could hurt their brand.

The whole "he can never attend any NBA game ever" is what I think sounds excessive. But again, maybe I'm missing something.

They're banning him from ever attending any NBA game for the rest of his life? Unless I'm misunderstanding something about the "ban", that's too close to "thought police" for my taste.

What now? Can't attend?

I can see where you can rationalize his comments are bad for the league and his team, but how can you rationalize having racist thoughts means you can't enjoy a ball game as a fan?

I understand forcing him out as an owner. That part I have no problem with. It would be like McDonald's revoking a franchise license from an owner who made comments that could hurt their brand.

The whole "he can never attend any NBA game ever" is what I think sounds excessive. But again, maybe I'm missing something.

One word...Appeasement

This is not just about the NBA? This could set a very bad precedent of someone or something taking away your property for how you believe or think. This could go way deeper than racism. What he said in privacy how now come back to haunt him even if it was wrong!

wZuxj.gif?w=640

Do homeowners associations have the right to seize property? Lol

I'm in serious trouble then, cause my hood has an HOA with an all Black board of directors LOL

Lol it was just a question. The formation isn't much different than the NBA. Just depends on what's in their constitution I guess

Agreed, I think what alot of the talking heads out there are forgetting is that he broke no laws here and should be and is protected by the 1st amendment. There was no way that in a league that is 75% African American that he's was ever going to earn their respect back so from a practical standpoint he could not continue as Owner. But a lifetime ban from all things NBA even just tickets seems excessive. This should be an business decision not a moral one. Give Sterling all the $$$ from the sell he deserves with the understanding that this is a league severance and let that be it.

I've gone over the covenants many times, nothing about thoughts or private speech, but it can always be amended to 'fit the times' :(

Home associations are weird.

I have to pay someone to tell me how to use my property? Interesting

Btw from a moral standpoint I think what Jim Irsay (of the Colts) did was just as bad maybe worse when he put lives in danger with his decision to drink and drive.

There is nothing worse than racism in this country. Not saying I agree or disagree. Maybe murder. But I'm willing to say racism for the fact there are "motivational" attachments to murder that make it worse.

But it goes racism, homophobia, drugs, duis, etc.

There is nothing worse than racism in this country. Not saying I agree or disagree. Maybe murder. But I'm willing to say racism for the fact there are "motivational" attachments to murder that make it worse.

But it goes racism, homophobia, drugs, duis, etc.

Public Racism I might agree and while I DO NOT think private racism is harmless, one of the great things about this country is we have an certain expectation of privacy and this was just supposed to be between Donald and his GF. It's makes him a phony and *** hole but not someone intending harm. But (and just imo) drunk driving is only so easily forgivable because at some point we've all done it. Given the staggering amount of lives lost every year the carelessness of it makes it a far worse offense. Long point made short Irsay should count his blessings that he got off easy compared to Sterling.

The rules and regulations of life can be confusing and inconsistent at times , but the old barnyardrule ....don't shitt where you eat ...Sterling successfully pizzed off enough people,something had to be done...many terrible things are said in private but when they become public....you can't unring a bell

Public Racism I might agree and while I DO NOT think private racism is harmless, one of the great things about this country is we have an certain expectation of privacy and this was just supposed to be between Donald and his GF. It's makes him a phony and *** hole but not someone intending harm. But (and just imo) drunk driving is only so easily forgivable because at some point we've all done it. Given the staggering amount of lives lost every year the carelessness of it makes it a far worse offense. Long point made short Irsay should count his blessings that he got off easy compared to Sterling.

Oh Im not saying my personal opinion. Im talking about the media lol.