Charlie Campbell's 6-Round Mock Draft Has Atlanta Selecting:

theProf

6. Atlanta Falcons: Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan

I think the Falcons will try to move up and land either Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack. If Atlanta misses out on them, I think the team will change course and try to move down while targeting Anthony Barr. The Falcons could use extra picks to address depth on the roster. If Atlanta is stuck at No. 6, the best value is offensive tackle. Matthews is closer in makeup to Sam Baker, while Lewan fits the organization's desire to get more physical up front. Lewan could start out at right tackle before eventually taking over for Baker at left tackle.

Lewan played well in 2013. He did a nice job against Michigan State and was consistent in his pass protection throughout the season. Lewan looked much better versus Notre Dame in Week 2 this year against the Fighting Irish than he did in 2012. Lewan was impressive all night in pass protection and run blocking. He did well against Notre Dame's edge rushers Stephon Tuitt and Prince Shembo. Against Connecticut, Lewan was beaten for a sack.

2012 was Lewan's third straight season as the starter at left tackle, and he got better as the year progressed. Lewan was solid as a pass-protector and very effective as a run-blocker. The redshirt junior didn't have his best games against Alabama or Ohio State, but he wasn't dominated by Jadeveon Clowney in the Outback Bowl. The Wolverines tackle held his own and had his share of wins. Lewan was a Second-Team All-Big Ten selection in 2011.

The 6-foot-7, 309-pounder is a good run-blocker with the athleticism to be a pass-protector. He should fill out his frame, but has ideal length and athleticism. Lewan has some upside and just needs more development.

Pick change; previously Anthony Barr, OLB

37. Atlanta Falcons: Dee Ford, DE/OLB, Auburn

The Falcons need a speed rusher off the edge and have shown interest in Ford.

Sources have told WalterFootball.com that Ford is grading out as a late second-rounder, but teams think that someone will reach for him late in the first round. In 2013, Ford had 29 tackles with 14.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. He finished the season playing his best football. Ford recorded six sacks with 34 tackles and a forced fumble in 2012. He missed the majority of the 2011 season with a back injury.

After Aaron Donald, Ford was the most impressive defensive prospect at the Senior Bowl. He had a great week and continued his tremendous play in the game. All week, Ford used his great get-off and quickness to burn edge blockers in the one-on-ones. He has the agility to drop his hips and juke tackles to the inside. Ford also has enough upper-body strength to help him break the grip of tackles' hands before using his speed to close in an instant. However, Ford is basically a one-trick pony as a speed rusher.

The 6-foot-2, 243-pounder projects best as an edge rusher in a 3-4 defense. Ford played defensive end in college, but he doesn't have the size to do that in the NFL. In a 4-3 defense, Ford would have to play as a linebacker who rushes off the edge in passing situations, similar to Von Miller in Denver.

Pick change; previously Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE

68. Atlanta Falcons: Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State

The Falcons need another starting safety, and Bucannon fits their desire to get more physical this offseason.

The 6-foot, 216-pound Bucannon has a nice mix of ball skills, run-support tackling and hard hitting ability. The senior recorded six interceptions with 114 tackles, three forced fumbles and one pass broken up in 2013. He notched four interceptions, four passes broken up, one forced fumble, and 106 tackles the year before. Bucannon had three interceptions, 80 tackles and four passes broken up in 2011.

103. Atlanta Falcons: Terrance West, RB, Towson

The Falcons could use a back to groom as a replacement for Steven Jackson for a year or two. They've shown lots of interest in West.

West (5-9, 225) had a massive 2013 with 2,509 yards and 42 touchdowns. That season broke records in the Subdivision (Division I-AA). Towson totaled 86 touchdowns and 4,584 yards.

In 2011, West ran for 1,294 yards with an average of 6.7 yards per carry. As a sophomore, he ran for 1,046 yards with an average of 5.4 yards per carry. In those two seasons, West had only 10 receptions.

139. Atlanta Falcons: Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami

The Falcons could target more offensive line help. They want to get bigger and more physical up front. Henderson already has a developed relationship with Atlanta offensive line coach Mike Tice, who would be a good mentor to get the most out of the talented Henderson.

The 6-foot-6, 331-pound Henderson has athletic talent, but injuries limited his early years in college. He started nine games at right tackle as a true freshman in 2010. His sophomore season was virtually lost to a back injury. Henderson's career also included a concussion, a car accident and getting in the dog house a few times with the Miami coaching staff.

The senior flashed at times as a run-blocker in 2013, but he also had some missed blocks and incurred another suspension. Henderson is the former No. 1 recruit in the nation, but his collegiate career was a big disappointment. Henderson has the body and athletic ability of a first-rounder, so his upside is immense as a developmental pick.

147. Atlanta Falcons: Jordan Tripp, LB, Montana

The Falcons could bolster their linebacking corps and have been interested in Tripp.

Tripp (6-3, 234) has had a strong postseason with quality performances at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. The senior had 100 tackles with 5.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, three interceptions and two passes broken up. In 2012, he recorded 95 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss. Tripp lost the 2011 season to injury, but had 99 tackles in his first year as a starter in 2010. Tripp has some quickness and strength.

182. Atlanta Falcons: Spencer Long, G, Nebraska

The Falcons grab some offensive line talent.

Long (6-5, 320) played well for Nebraska in 2013 before going down with a torn ACL. He could be a steal in the 2014 NFL Draft, as he was a potential top-100 selection before the injury. The senior didn't work out at the Combine. Long was solid for Nebraska in 2012 with improved pass protection. He was a tough run-blocker who had a lot of success opening up holes in the ground game. The former walk-on was an All-Big Ten performer in a breakout sophomore season in 2011.

http://walterfootbal...2014charlie.php

If we don't trade up, I think there is a very good chance that Greg Robinson fall right into our laps @ #6. This can be seen on Walt's mock.

Yep, I saw that. I didn't post Walt's latest mock draft yet, because it is still in the process of being updated

the only way i would want to trade up is if 3 of our big 4 went in the top 3 picks (Clowney, Mack, Matthews, Robinson). We either need to land one of those 4 or trade back. I would not want Lewan right at #6. One of the big 3 OT's will fall to #9 at least (BUF) and after them could fall to #12 (NYG)

I wold rather move up to 4 for Mack than 1 for Clowney. Then we can just K.I.S.S. and stick to a straight 3-4.

I like this mock draft by Charlie Campbell. It would have been even better to me, if Charlie had mocked TE Fiedorowisz at #139 to Atlanta, rather than Seantrel Henderson.

Charlie is still stuck on that "Senior Bowl thing" where he thinks Mike Tice likes Henderson. Everyone agrees that Henderson is talented - but he lost his starting job several times, and got suspended two-three times - presumably for smoking pot. Now, he walks off the field in the middle of his pro-day.

Can you say "red flags"?

Agreed with gdawg sit tight. Let the texans jags brown and raiders have the guts not to get a qb! **** mack may even get to us!

Plenty of very good front 7 guys in the 2nd 3rd round range this year

Of the big three (Clowney/Mack/Greg Robinson), the only one that likely to fall is Robinson - you could have QBs @ #4/5, WRs @ #4/5 and even Jake could get drafted ahead of G-Rob. I think both Clowney and Mack are gone in the first three picks.

and got suspended two-three times - presumably for smoking pot. Now, he walks off the field in the middle of his pro-day.

Can you say "red flags"?

Yes I can: "red flags". If true, must have needed a toke really, really bad to walk off the field during his pro-day.

If we don't trade up, I think there is a very good chance that Greg Robinson fall right into our laps @ #6. This can be seen on Walt's mock.

Walt's latest mock as of today:

• Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    I've said all along that the Texans were 50-50 between Jadeveon Clowney and Blake Bortles, so Charlie and I decided that it would be a good idea to have our mocks begin with each of those players. That changed two weeks ago, as it appears as though Houston has settled on selecting Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.
    This pick is pretty close to being locked in. There's still a chance it could be traded, but the rumored Atlanta deal is probably not going to happen. The Texans would love to get a Robert Griffin-type package for this choice, but it's not going to happen.
    From what I'm hearing, it seems like Houston believes there isn't enough of a difference between the first- and second-round quarterbacks to warrant passing on the greatest pass-rushing prospect in years. Besides, there's actually a chance the Texans can grab either Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel at No. 33; especially the former. Multiple teams believe Bridgewater will fall.
    Comment on this NFL Mock Draft here on our new comment board.
    By the way, I'm doing this live because I thought it'd be fun to get instant feedback. I'm going to post my mock anyway, so why not do it this way? Follow @walterfootball for NFL Draft updates.

• St. Louis Rams: Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo
    This is what St. Louis' preferred options look like, in order:
    1. Trade down with a team wanting Jadeveon Clowney or Blake Bortles.
    2. Draft Clowney if available.
    3. Draft either Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins.
    Most mocks have Watkins or Greg Robinson here, but the Rams are deciding between Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins at No. 2 barring a trade or Clowney being available. They are also "falling in love" with Mack, per Charlie Campbell's report. And for those wondering, this is not a smokescreen; it's the same source that gave us Alec Ogletree in 2013, which is why both Charlie and I had the Georgia linebacker mocked to St. Louis last year.

• Jacksonville Jaguars: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    The Jaguars probably want Khalil Mack if they don't go with a quarterback at No. 3, but the Rams snatched him off the board. Fortunately, there are other great consolation prizes available, including Sammy Watkins.
    Justin Blackmon is suspended indefinitely. Jacksonville has reportedly been conducting business as though it doesn't expect him to be back anytime soon. Even if Blackmon does return, having Watkins on the team would give their second-round quarterback (Jimmy Garoppolo?) a very potent trio of receivers to work with.

• Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    The Browns are expected to take a quarterback at No. 4, but which one? They've been linked to Derek Carr by numerous sources, as you can see in our NFL Draft Rumors page. However, Blake Bortles has surfaced as an option recently as well. Peter King mentioned him as a possibility, as did a source of ours.
    Johnny Manziel can't be counted out either. He has been linked to Cleveland as well. DawgPoundNation, which reported the Joe Banner and Michael Lombardi firings 24 hours before they happened, says that the front office loves Manziel.
    This selection will almost certainly be one of those three quarterbacks. Manziel would make the most sense in terms of sparking a morbid franchise that hasn't been in the playoffs
  • since January 2003.

• Oakland Raiders: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    The Raiders are desperate to trade down. If they can't move out of the No. 5 spot, this pick will come down to Mike Evans or Greg Robinson. I had previously listed a quarterback as a possibility, but this regime needs to win now.
    Both Robinson and Evans make sense. The former might be considered a slightly better prospect, but he fills less of a need. Menelik Watson hasn't shown much promise thus far, but the Raiders just spent a second-round pick on him and still considers him a viable option at right tackle. They might be willing to give him a chance, which would open up the possibility of drafting Evans, who would give Oakland a No. 1 receiver - something it doesn't have at the moment.
  • Pick change; previously Derek Carr, QB

• falconsb_logo.gif Atlanta Falcons: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn Auburn_logo.gif
    It's been speculated that the Falcons want to move up for Jadeveon Clowney, but that's no longer a possibility if the Texans just take him. Thus, if Houston does go with Clowney, it's likely that Atlanta will just stay put at No. 6 and draft the best player available who makes sense for them.
    The Falcons would prefer a pass-rusher like Clowney or Khalil Mack, but Greg Robinson is not a bad consolation prize. He would fill an immediate need at right tackle and would eventually move over the blind side, unless Mike Tice does a great job of coaching up Sam Baker, which could easily happen. Either way, Matt Ryan's protection will improve tremendously.

Walt has agreed with Charlie Campbell for Atlantas second and third round selections as follows:

If the Falcons can't obtain Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack in the first round, they'll almost certainly draft a pass-rusher here. Dee Ford fits what Thomas Dimitroff looks for in a prospect. I'm sure Mike Smith would love to have Ford on his team after the Auburn pass-rusher destroyed his offense at the Senior Bowl.

The Falcons addressed a bunch of needs this offseason, but one hole that remains is the safety position, as the team recently cut Thomas DeCoud.

Walt's rounds 4 thru 6 are still in the process of being updated.

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2014.php

Charlie is still stuck on that "Senior Bowl thing" where he thinks Mike Tice likes Henderson. Everyone agrees that Henderson is talented - but he lost his starting job several times, and got suspended two-three times - presumably for smoking pot. Now, he walks off the field in the middle of his pro-day.

Can you say "red flags"?

Seriously. With all that piled on, I'd be surprised if he's drafted before the seventh. Why take a chance on a kid who doesn't care enough to put in even the most basic effort? I wouldn't take him in the draft at all - if he's there as a UDFA, give him a shot based on Tice liking him (assuming he actually does - all we have on that is a bit of print from a couple of months ago) as a training camp body.

Walt's latest mock as of today:

• Houston Texans: Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina
    I've said all along that the Texans were 50-50 between Jadeveon Clowney and Blake Bortles, so Charlie and I decided that it would be a good idea to have our mocks begin with each of those players. That changed two weeks ago, as it appears as though Houston has settled on selecting Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.
    This pick is pretty close to being locked in. There's still a chance it could be traded, but the rumored Atlanta deal is probably not going to happen. The Texans would love to get a Robert Griffin-type package for this choice, but it's not going to happen.
    From what I'm hearing, it seems like Houston believes there isn't enough of a difference between the first- and second-round quarterbacks to warrant passing on the greatest pass-rushing prospect in years. Besides, there's actually a chance the Texans can grab either Teddy Bridgewater or Johnny Manziel at No. 33; especially the former. Multiple teams believe Bridgewater will fall.
    Comment on this NFL Mock Draft here on our new comment board.
    By the way, I'm doing this live because I thought it'd be fun to get instant feedback. I'm going to post my mock anyway, so why not do it this way? Follow @walterfootball for NFL Draft updates.

• St. Louis Rams: Khalil Mack, DE/OLB, Buffalo
    This is what St. Louis' preferred options look like, in order:
    1. Trade down with a team wanting Jadeveon Clowney or Blake Bortles.
    2. Draft Clowney if available.
    3. Draft either Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins.
    Most mocks have Watkins or Greg Robinson here, but the Rams are deciding between Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins at No. 2 barring a trade or Clowney being available. They are also "falling in love" with Mack, per Charlie Campbell's report. And for those wondering, this is not a smokescreen; it's the same source that gave us Alec Ogletree in 2013, which is why both Charlie and I had the Georgia linebacker mocked to St. Louis last year.

• Jacksonville Jaguars: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
    The Jaguars probably want Khalil Mack if they don't go with a quarterback at No. 3, but the Rams snatched him off the board. Fortunately, there are other great consolation prizes available, including Sammy Watkins.
    Justin Blackmon is suspended indefinitely. Jacksonville has reportedly been conducting business as though it doesn't expect him to be back anytime soon. Even if Blackmon does return, having Watkins on the team would give their second-round quarterback (Jimmy Garoppolo?) a very potent trio of receivers to work with.

• Cleveland Browns: Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
    The Browns are expected to take a quarterback at No. 4, but which one? They've been linked to Derek Carr by numerous sources, as you can see in our NFL Draft Rumors page. However, Blake Bortles has surfaced as an option recently as well. Peter King mentioned him as a possibility, as did a source of ours.
    Johnny Manziel can't be counted out either. He has been linked to Cleveland as well. DawgPoundNation, which reported the Joe Banner and Michael Lombardi firings 24 hours before they happened, says that the front office loves Manziel.
    This selection will almost certainly be one of those three quarterbacks. Manziel would make the most sense in terms of sparking a morbid franchise that hasn't been in the playoffs
  • since January 2003.

• Oakland Raiders: Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    The Raiders are desperate to trade down. If they can't move out of the No. 5 spot, this pick will come down to Mike Evans or Greg Robinson. I had previously listed a quarterback as a possibility, but this regime needs to win now.
    Both Robinson and Evans make sense. The former might be considered a slightly better prospect, but he fills less of a need. Menelik Watson hasn't shown much promise thus far, but the Raiders just spent a second-round pick on him and still considers him a viable option at right tackle. They might be willing to give him a chance, which would open up the possibility of drafting Evans, who would give Oakland a No. 1 receiver - something it doesn't have at the moment.
  • Pick change; previously Derek Carr, QB

• falconsb_logo.gif Atlanta Falcons: Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn Auburn_logo.gif
    It's been speculated that the Falcons want to move up for Jadeveon Clowney, but that's no longer a possibility if the Texans just take him. Thus, if Houston does go with Clowney, it's likely that Atlanta will just stay put at No. 6 and draft the best player available who makes sense for them.
    The Falcons would prefer a pass-rusher like Clowney or Khalil Mack, but Greg Robinson is not a bad consolation prize. He would fill an immediate need at right tackle and would eventually move over the blind side, unless Mike Tice does a great job of coaching up Sam Baker, which could easily happen. Either way, Matt Ryan's protection will improve tremendously.

Walt has agreed with Charlie Campbell for Atlantas second and third round selections as follows:

If the Falcons can't obtain Jadeveon Clowney or Khalil Mack in the first round, they'll almost certainly draft a pass-rusher here. Dee Ford fits what Thomas Dimitroff looks for in a prospect. I'm sure Mike Smith would love to have Ford on his team after the Auburn pass-rusher destroyed his offense at the Senior Bowl.

The Falcons addressed a bunch of needs this offseason, but one hole that remains is the safety position, as the team recently cut Thomas DeCoud.

Walt's rounds 4 thru 6 are still in the process of being updated.

http://walterfootbal...m/draft2014.php

TOO perfect to happen.

AAAA

I can't hate this because I believe Lewan is going to be a hale of a player and he has the nastiness and bad intentions so sorely lacking on this team. Throw in Dee Ford to have some pass rush and it's already a win. Bucannon and West are going to be solid contributors for somebody. TD and Co. could do a whole lot worse than this.