Is The N A A C P's Credibility Going To Take A Hit Because Of This Sterling Situation?

HolyMoses

I have always philosophically supported the NAACP. My personal view is that we have made progress as a Nation regarding racial fairness, but there are still issues that need to be addressed. To the extent that the NAACP or other organizations works towards addressing those issues, I think that's a good thing.

But how in blazes does a guy like Donald Sterling get a Lifetime Achievement Award from the NAACP? How in double blazes does ANYONE, especially a guy like Donald Sterling, get a SECOND Lifetime Achievement Award from the NAACP?

Apparently, Sterling's bigotry was somewhat of an open secret. Seemingly, he believed in a separation between heart and wallet. But for him, his "charitable" donations were probably an investment into his reputation to bolster his considerable economic holdings.

What is really going on at the NAACP for them to buy into this charade? I am not ready to dismiss them as a worthy cause, but certainly some questions need to be answered before they merit any kind of continued support.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always philosophically supported the NAACP. My personal view is that we have made progress as a Nation regarding racial fairness, but there are still issues that need to be addressed. To the extent that the NAACP or other organizations works towards addressing those issues, I think that's a good thing.

But how in blazes does a guy like Donald Sterling get a Lifetime Achievement Award from the NAACP? How in double blazes does ANYONE, especially a guy like Donald Sterling, get a SECOND Lifetime Achievement Award from the NAACP?

Apparently, Sterling's bigotry was somewhat of an open secret. Seemingly, he believed in a separation between heart and wallet. But for him, his "charitable" donations were probably an investment into his reputation to bolster his considerable economic holdings.

What is really going on at the NAACP for them to buy into this charade? I am not ready to dismiss them as a worthy cause, but certainly some questions need to be answered before they merit any kind of continued support.

Like most special interests, I've always saw the NAACP as an organization geared toward convenience. If they think something advances their cause, they promote it, even if it's dead wrong. If they think it doesn't, they ignore it, even if it's dead right.

They are also a political organization, pushing for Democrat causes. I don't know Sterling's politics at all, but I'd wager just based on this alone he's a Democrat.

Like most special interests, I've always saw the NAACP as an organization geared toward convenience. If they think something advances their cause, they promote it, even if it's dead wrong. If they think it doesn't, they ignore it, even if it's dead right.

They are also a political organization, pushing for Democrat causes. I don't know Sterling's politics at all, but I'd wager just based on this alone he's a Democrat.

Hard to say . ..

Donald Sterling, Los Angeles Clippers

Records show Sterling has donated just $6,000, with no activity since the early 1990s. He supported Gray Davis early in his career, as well as Bill Bradley.

Edit: Apparently NOT so hard to say if you want to make it a political issue:

"LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling is a Racist Democrat"

Hard to say . ..

Donald Sterling, Los Angeles Clippers

Records show Sterling has donated just $6,000, with no activity since the early 1990s. He supported Gray Davis early in his career, as well as Bill Bradley.

Perhaps. It's just a hunch on my part.

Bank on this -- if he were a Republican, the NAACP wouldn't be giving him any lifetime achievement awards. I wonder why Jack Kemp never won one?

Also, it's not like they didn't know he had racist tendencies before they decided to give him the award:

http://articles.lati...ports/sp-crowe6

To me it seems amazing that now "everyone" knew he was a racist, but kept a lid on it. I just have to shake my head at this nonsense.

Thats my thing. His players never once said a thing? If he is such a bad man you would have known he was a racist ******* this whole time. Were you just okay with it because you were making millions? Now you have the entire world on your side, and you want to start a war. Shoulda done something from the start if he is such an *** you won't even work for him.

You are saying he is a Democrat? Please tell me you have evidence beyond what is posted in this thread . . .

When you're that rich you don't care about parties.

You care about who you can pay to do your work in Washington.

the odds are that he is....the NAACP isn't in the habit of honoring Republicans

The guy is worth 1.9 Billion and the last political contribution he made was over 20 years ago . . . . and it was only $6,000. If you have a net worth of $2 Millions that would be the equivalent of $6. I am certainly not saying he was a Republican. But I think he was a Sterling, and cared for little else.

I'm really starting to dislike the people of this country.

Why does his political affiliation matter?

Were now going to use this situation as a political point? You don't want to vote for them! Republicans are racist! Look at sterling.

What a ******* joke.

I'm really starting to dislike the people of this country.

Why does his political affiliation matter?

Were now going to use this situation as a political point? You don't want to vote for them! Republicans are racist! Look at sterling.

What a ******* joke.

I don't care one way or the other, but it was questioned here so I shared it.

I don't care one way or the other, but it was questioned here so I shared it.

Oh I wasn't putting it on you at all. I remember the questions.

I'm just talking about how if you look up donald sterling democrat or republican you get about 6 pages of links posted within two days.

Its ridiculous. You KNOW the only reason people care is so they can make a political point out of it. Like somehow since sterling is racist and a republican other republicans are racist by association