Report: Falcons Seriously Considering Moving Up

Report: Falcons Seriously Considering Move Up For Clowney

By Dave Choate@TheFalcoholic on Apr 28 2014, 8:44a 9

20120911_kkt_sm8_410.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Denny Medley-US PRESSWIRE

Why Ian Rapoport's latest report is one you'll want to put more stock in, whether you're for the trade up or against it.

 TWEET (6) SHARE  SHARE

COMMENTS

This morning, Ian Rapoport sent out an interesting series of Tweets regarding theFalcons' 2014 NFL Draft plans:

What to make of this? At first glance, he's not saying anything we haven't heard before. The Falcons may move up or down? Okay, we've been discussing that since February,because those words came out of Thomas Dimitroff's mouth.

A deeper look is warranted, however. Rapoport isn't infalliable, but he's a quality reporter, and if he tells me he's reporting I'm very inclined to believe he's working off of sources. All the speculation about the Falcons moving up thus far has come from outside the organization, but this is different. Judging by the way Rapoport is presenting this—"open to moving," "talks have not started between #Falcons & #Texans"—his source is connected to the Falcons. Ditto Peter King.

Not saying it’s going to happen; I’d list the odds at 40 percent. But if the Texans want to trade the No. 1 pick, the Falcons, as of this morning, are their best option. When Clowney visited Atlanta last week, he left a very positive impression with the Falcons’ coaches and brass. I’d heard before that meeting that the Falcons weren’t inclined to entertain thoughts about making such a bold move, from sixth pick in the first round to No. 1 overall. Now they are thinking of it.

There are two strong possibilities here. Either someone inside the organization is leaking legitimate interest in Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack or Greg Robinson and a willingness to move to get talks started, possibly by trying to call Houston's bluff, or they're deliberately trying to create uncertainty to mask the move they're planning.

The first possibility is based off of the Texans' reported eagerness to move down and the oft-reported lack of suitors. In this case, the Falcons would be essentially indicating they could move up elsewhere in the top four or five for a player they like/Clowney, leaving the Texans without a partner. I have no idea if that has a remote chance of working, but the optimistic view says it could make Houston more willing to listen to what Atlanta considers a reasonable offer. If the Texans really want no part of Clowney at #1, then I'd lend a lot of credence to this idea.

In the latter instance, the Falcons actually have no plans to move up for Clowney but want to sow as much chaos as they can. This is always a worthy goal, even if I have my doubts about the effectiveness of comments like these in that context.

Either way, Rapoport and King's comments are worth weighing carefully. The Falcons are clearly seeding the ground for something, and at this point you and I would be crazy to rule out any moves. The game is afoot.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking this morning that unless they've fallen deeply in love with Clowney that No.2 with the Rams is the more likely trading spot updwards, they want to trade one of their 1st round picks and I have a feeling ATL just wants one of the big 3 or Robinson, Mack or Clowney

Hopefully they can play it properly, I'd say if Houston doesn't accept our initial offer and they counter, we say thanks but no thanks for now at the very least. That way they sweat if they don't want to invest the first overall pick in any player, we can call them back on draft day and remind them of our offer, then see what happens from there. If we aren't able to make a deal (I hope we aren't) there's no reason to move up to #2 imo because I don't think the Rams will take Mack or Robinson (Watkins is who I have them getting). So then it just depends on who we want, if we want Mack we may have to move to 3 because Mack should be higher on the board considering they just drafted Joekel. That saves us a pick or two already and we still land a potentially stud pass rusher. Still not a big fan of this but I'd be able to live with it. Lastly, if we really like Robinson we could move to 4 which would be the cheapest obviously, the Browns may want to move down with Watkins already being taken and they can still get a QB at 6.

I know Jacksonville and Cleveland may not want to move down, or so we haven't heard, but I think they would for the right price...which would still be far less than a move to #1.

Guest fibonacci

Lol at where this is all coming from. We all heard what Thomas Said, yet they're making it out like he said, "omg I'm going after clowney 100% at number one".

Then the other source is the Texans saying they are looking to trade back.

Cone on people this is clearly smoke.

So, how does "Talks have not started between Falcons and Texans" and "With a stacked Top 10, it appears unlikely #Falcons actually stay at No. 6. Could move up. Also very open to moving back. Will be creative" translate to trading for Clowney?

How is that any different than TD's proclamation from months ago that he's willing to entertain all trade ideas?

Only other time he had a top ten pick, he had the QB he wanted to draft.

This is the first draft since then he's had a real valuable chip to trade down with.

TD will either trade up for Clowney or Mack, or just stay put and take which Tackle is left.

So, how does "Talks have not started between Falcons and Texans" and "With a stacked Top 10, it appears unlikely #Falcons actually stay at No. 6. Could move up. Also very open to moving back. Will be creative" translate to trading for Clowney?

How is that any different than TD's proclamation from months ago that he's willing to entertain all trade ideas?

It's possible these guys are hearing the the Falcons FO loves Clowney enough to jump up for him....and they could be hearing it from reliable sources.

There's enough smoke here to make me think that either A) the FO is seriously considering it or B ) the FO is making a concerted effort to make people think they're thinking about it.

I think either way, this is coming from close to the organization. It's no longer just dot connecting, IMO.

Look here's the thing:

TD and the FO know that the draft is sometimes a complete crapshoot outside of guys like Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. First rounders have a better shot at being NFL stars because they were the best at the college level but it isn't set in stone they will be great and we all have seen enough first round draft busts on EVERY team to know this is true. IF TD thinks that Clowney is an Luck-type talent at his position than TD will probably move to get him and risk later round picks that may or may not work out. I'm not saying that I agree with this strategy or that I necessarily want this to happen, but if it does, I'll understand and although I'll be uneasy, I won't be fundamentally unhappy.

I'm convinced that TD is trading up for Clowney. Too many signs point that way. The only question is how much we give up? I bet we give them everything they ask for (whoever it is). I don't know how we are going to get a, TE a, FS, and OL help after we give up the picks but that's the way TD operates. He likes to make a big splash and has never made a significant trade down since he's been GM. I believe he believes we are one great player away from the Superbowl. Hope he is right but it seems like we've been there and done that before.

SI's Peter King lists the odds of the Falcons moving up for South Carolina DE/OLB Jadeveon Clowney at 40 percent.

Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff annually operates as if he's one player away. This year, rumors are swirling that the one player is Clowney. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said Monday that it appears unlikely Dimitroff will stay at No. 6 as he could move anywhere into the top-4 and is also very open to moving back. Based on the draft pick trade chart, the Falcons would have to give up at least their first-round pick this year and next to get to No. 1.

Related: Falcons, Texans

Source: SI.com Apr 28 - 9:06 AM

Look here's the thing:

TD and the FO know that the draft is sometimes a complete crapshoot outside of guys like Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning. First rounders have a better shot at being NFL stars because they were the best at the college level but it isn't set in stone they will be great and we all have seen enough first round draft busts on EVERY team to know this is true. IF TD thinks that Clowney is an Luck-type talent at his position than TD will probably move to get him and risk later round picks that may or may not work out. I'm not saying that I agree with this strategy or that I necessarily want this to happen, but if it does, I'll understand and although I'll be uneasy, I won't be fundamentally unhappy.

If Clowney can put Brees and Cam on their @$$ twice a year. I say it would be well worth it. We may trade picks away, but at least we can sign some undrafted FA's. That is how we got Worrilow and Bartu.

nothing matters on these rumors until we get to next Monday - May 5th - circle your calendars - usually by then, the wheels are in motion and some of these reporters w/ good sources (Schefter, King, Rapaport, Glazer) can actually catch wind of some good intel.