**** Tennessee Pd...

Y'all choking out white college kids now? Gotta know that won't be tolerated.

Tennessee policeman fired after photos show him choking student

By Tim Ghianni

NASHVILLE | Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:04am EDT

By Tim Ghianni

NASHVILLE (Reuters) - A sheriff in Tennessee fired an officer after a British newspaper published photographs on Sunday that showed him choking a handcuffed college student until he lost consciousness.

The photographs published by online edition of the Daily Mail showed an unidentified officer appearing to throttle 21-year-old Jarod Dotson, while two fellow officers handcuffed the student's hands behind his back, after arresting him at a party near the University of Tennessee, in Knoxville.

The student did not appear to show any sign of resistance, while the officer, later identified as 47-year-old Frank Phillips, held him by the neck until he collapsed to his knees.

John Messner, the Knoxville photographer who took the pictures, described to the Mail how the officer then slapped Dotson around the head a few times before walking off.

Knox County Sheriff Jimmy "J.J." Jones said in a written statement that Phillips was found by department investigators to have used excessive force during the arrest on Saturday night.

"In my 34 years of law enforcement experience, excessive force has never been tolerated," Jones said in the statement, posted on the Knox County Sheriff's Department website.

"After an investigation by the Office of Professional Standards, I believe excessive force was used in this incident," the sheriff said.

Jones said that Phillips had been terminated with immediate effect and that the investigation would be turned over to the Knox County Attorney General's Office to determine if any charges should be filed. Phillips had been with the Sheriff's Office since 1992.

"This incident provides a perfect example of why we are in the process of purchasing officer-worn body cameras (video and audio recordings) so incidents like this will be fully documented," the sheriff concluded.

Dotson was charged with public intoxication and resisting arrest. He was released from jail on $500 bond Sunday morning.

He was among several party-goers arrested, when law enforcement personnel were summoned to a party, attended by a reported 800 revelers, that had turned unruly and spilled onto the streets. Beer bottles were thrown at officers when they arrived at the scene, according to local media reports.

No comment was available from University of Tennessee spokesmen, the university police department or from various student organizations Sunday evening.

article-2614386-1D67E04400000578-766_634x422.jpg

article-2614386-1D67E05000000578-275_634x422.jpg

article-2614386-1D67E05800000578-899_634x422.jpg

article-2614386-1D67E05C00000578-907_634x421.jpg

article-2614386-1D67E06300000578-410_634x422.jpg

Guest fibonacci

love how he was arrested for public intoxication. yet he was at a party. I was arrested for the exact same thing.

Ron White: I got thrown out of a bar in New York City. Now, when I say I got thrown out of a bar, I don't mean someone asked me to leave, and we walked to the door together, and I said, "Bye everyone, I gotta go!" Six bouncers picked me up and hurled me out of that bar like I was a Frisbee. Those big old New York bouncers that think that bouncing is cool. They hang out with other bouncers, talking about bouncing. They go home at night and watch 'Road House' and fondle themselves. For wearing a hat. I walk into a bar and the bouncer comes over to me, real pissy, and goes, "Take off the hat!" I'm like, "What's the deal?" He goes, "I'll tell you what the deal is. Gay people in this area wear hats; we're tryin' to keep them out of our club!" Oh really? The only way we can tell down in Texas is if they have their hair cut like, yours. And he got all pissed. Anyway, I took off the hat, and he walked away. About an hour later, I was drinking and I forgot. Ever forget? It happened to me. I put the hat on, and he comes back over. Now, I'm between six-one and six-six depending on which convenience store I'm leaving. I weigh two hundred and thirty pounds, and this guy comes over, poking me in the shoulder. He says, "You're outta here!" and I said, "I don't think so, Scooter!" And I was wrong. They hurled me out of that bar. And then they squared off with me in the parking lot, and I backed down from the fight, cause I don't know how many of them it would have taken to whip my ***, but I knew how many they were going to use. That's a handy little piece of information, right there. Well, they called the police because we broke a chair on the way out the door, and I refused to pay for it. I refused to pay for it cause *we* broke it over *my* thigh. The cops showed up, and at that point, I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability. The cop was like, "Mr. White, you are being charged with drunk in public-KA!" I was like, "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey! I was drunk in a bar! They, threw me into public-KA! I don't want to be drunk in public-KA! I wanna be drunk in a bar, which is perfectly legal! Arrest them!" Well, he didn't arrest them, instead he made me do a field sobriety test, where you stand on one foot, raise the other foot six inches off the ground, and count to thirty. I made it to "woo!" Is that going to be close enough? It wasn't, so they called in for my arrest record. There's some good news! Satellites are linking up in outer space. Computer banks at NASA are kicking on. There's a telegraph in Fritch, Texas, going: beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep.

[Takes breath]

Ron White: Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep, beep. This part takes a while. Brrrrinnnng! Shorthand.

[pause]

Ron White: Beep. Now, I told you that story, to tell you this story. When I was seventeen, I was arrested for being drunk in... public-KA.

Jeff: Kinda seems to be a pattern there, Ron.

Ron White: If you knew Morse code, you'd already know that. And one DWI, which was a bogus charge, cause it turns out they were stopping every driver, traveling down that particular sidewalk. And that's profiling. And profiling is wrong! The arresting officer, who I had literally known, all my life. You know what I mean? This guy lived four doors down the street me, in a town of less than four hundred people. *We've met.* Now, he takes me to jail, and he asks me if I have any aliases.

[Confused, stupid look]

Ron White: And I was just being a smartass, and I said, "Yeah. They call me, "Tater Salad!" " Seventeen years later, I'm handcuffed on a bench in New York with blood coming out of my nose, and this cop goes, "Are you Ron 'Tater Salad' White?" Ya caught me! Ya caught the tater!

they now make it like it is basically illegal if you want to get drunk anywhere.

This kid is about to get paid. And rightfully so (unless he is a UT fan).

I don't think it's enough to just fire the officer. Fire all of them for not reporting him. Then bring the cop up on attempted murder charges. **** that guy. Give his pension to the kid.

Guest fibonacci

Can't you drink too much without making a spectacle of yourself? Just don't act like it's your first time and you should be ok.

alright, I'll agree with you on that one. to bad when I drink I am acting like its my first time. LOL

Guest fibonacci

I don't think it's enough to just fire the officer. Fire all of them for not reporting him. Then bring the cop up on attempted murder charges. **** that guy. Give his pension to the kid.

I was wondering why the other cops just stood there. I know pictures don't tell the whole story. but it seems like someone would have stopped this.

They demoted the other cops involved.

thanks

And that's part of what's wrong with our society today. The kid obviously was obviously drunk and being stupid. The cop obviously lost his composure, got ticked off at the drunk idiot and did something stupid. The drunk kid should not benefit from being drunk and stupid.

The kid basically got put to sleep and the cop lost his job. Done deal as far as I'm concerned.

People want to sue for millions at every turn, but then complain about the people who sue for millions at every turn.

And that's part of what's wrong with our society today. The kid obviously was obviously drunk and being stupid. The cop obviously lost his composure, got ticked off at the drunk idiot and did something stupid. The drunk kid should not benefit from being drunk and stupid.

The kid basically got put to sleep and the cop lost his job. Done deal as far as I'm concerned.

People want to sue for millions at every turn, but then complain about the people who sue for millions at every turn.

It's called hypocrisy and it's more abundant than water :(

So police brutality is ok. But people suing for having their rights violated is not ok.

I didn't say he deserves millions. I said he was going to get paid.

This cop using a badge to be a thug (yep!) is unacceptable. I'd also question whether these officers accounts of him being drunk and disorderly are accurate, seeing as they completely ignored a blatant case of police brutality.