Executing The Trade Up.

etherdome

Word play aside, how would you carry out this possible trade? The details will dictate the costs. Here are two possible scenarios:

1. The trade is signed and sealed before Goodell reaches the podium:

In other words, the Falcons would hold the first pick and be on the clock. If this were to happen, the Falcons would be guaranteed to get their guy, but the Texans would be tangling in the wind, waiting for their pick in the #6 spot. To carry out this deal, the Texans will want/demand more in compensation. Their willingness to gamble would come at a price.

Under these circumstances, Tommy would have to throw in next year's first round pick, as well as this year's second and next year's third. The price would be steep.

2. The trade is made after the 5th selection:

In this instance, the Texans would draft Clowney at #1 and wait. If their preferred QB target is available at #6, then the trade is carried out. But if the object of their desires is off the board, then they simply walk away with their brand new DE. For the right of refusal, the Texans will have to "pay" by accepting less in trade compensation. After all, they will be holding all the cards on draft day.

In this case, Tommy would have to part with significantly fewer draft choices. My guess is that the 2015 first rounder would be pulled from the deal and the 2015 third rounder would be upgraded to a second rounder. In other words, the Texans would get a first and a second rounder this year, as well as our second rounder next year.

Which option would you choose for the Falcons?

Neither.

Stay at 6...........and get a bunch of d.amn good football players.......because you didn't waste picks on a "Name".

Not a "Media Star"........not a "Can't Miss"..........not a "Prima Donna Plus".

FOOTBALL PLAYERS............the kind that will work their a.ss off to get better weekly to WIN.

Neither.

Stay at 6...........and get a bunch of d.amn good football players.......because you didn't waste picks on a "Name".

FOOTBALL PLAYERS............the kind that will work their a.ss off to get better weekly to WIN.

And what players do you know 4 a fact will do that, what you know. Not going off what scouts, gm, college coaches say???? None. Just because ppl are saying that about clowney doesn't mean squat. Rhodes & milliner were better than trufant from what I heard! Shariff Floyd was a top 5 pick from what I heard. Brady Quinn was the next best thing from what I heard. That's all u can go by. All of these players are a name. You take one not only based on what he has do r but what you could possibly get him to do. All this khalil Mack talk I could only imagine what clowney may have done playing against. Stoney brook, kent state & others like that. You ppl need to chill seriously

Word play aside, how would you carry out this possible trade? The details will dictate the costs. Here are two possible scenarios:

1. The trade is signed and sealed before Goodell reaches the podium:

In other words, the Falcons would hold the first pick and be on the clock. If this were to happen, the Falcons would be guaranteed to get their guy, but the Texans would be tangling in the wind, waiting for their pick in the #6 spot. To carry out this deal, the Texans will want/demand more in compensation. Their willingness to gamble would come at a price.

Under these circumstances, Tommy would have to throw in next year's first round pick, as well as this year's second and next year's third. The price would be steep.

2. The trade is made after the 5th selection:

In this instance, the Texans would draft Clowney at #1 and wait. If their preferred QB target is available at #6, then the trade is carried out. But if the object of their desires is off the board, then they simply walk away with their brand new DE. For the right of refusal, the Texans will have to "pay" by accepting less in trade compensation. After all, they will be holding all the cards on draft day.

In this case, Tommy would have to part with significantly fewer draft choices. My guess is that the 2015 first rounder would be pulled from the deal and the 2015 third rounder would be upgraded to a second rounder. In other words, the Texans would get a first and a second rounder this year, as well as our second rounder next year.

Which option would you choose for the Falcons?

I would choose OPTION #2.

To get the best deal you can on a player - from trade compensation POV - you have to be willing to risk losing said player.

I would not give up any picks other than 6 for this year I would do option 2 and offer a 1st next year I could compromise and give up our 4th this year but no higher pick. I would tell Houston its simple you get your qb for 6th pick money not 1st and a 1st rounder next year take it or leave it. if they don't take it go lewan or trade down for Donald. why Donald he will be a pass rushing stud in the 3-4 he can reak havoc from both the de and dt position. this way we pick up a 2nd rounder and get our fs, and te, or ot. and still have a third rounder to add depth. frankly I could see a bidding war for the 6th pick by Detroit wanting mike evans ahead of tb and hou wanting manziel or bortles. pick 10 would be perfect to get Donald and we could get pick 45 in the process. that's jimmy ward, or deone buchanon and jace amaro, or maybe even dee ford olb. if he falls to 37.

If there is a trade up scenario, I expect it to be wrapped up the night before the draft.

If that's true......what happens if some team calls Houston 15 minutes before the Draft begins with a loony deal they simply can't refuse ??

Even tho Al Davis isn't with us any more........it could happen.

The key to making a good trade is knowing you don't have to make one. We are stronger in that regard than the Texans, so if Dimitroff insists on making this silly move, he at least is in a position of advantage.....provided he can recognize and assert that position.

My point exactly.

I am not in favor of trading for Clowney, but I recognize that the Falcons have a serious interest in him. Given the real possibility of a trade, I wanted to illustrate how we can avoid losing next year's first rounder.

Edited by etherdome

I don't think Texas is going to draft him, only to deal him five picks later. I just don't buy it.

They want their new QB but they want to get the most from their #1 pick. Doing it this way satisfies their needs.

Look around, the Falcons are the only team willing to part with picks for Clowney.

Edited by etherdome

Neither.

Winner!

TD needs to hit on at least 2-3 of these guys, with a trade for Clowney we basically have the entire draft riding on his success/ or lack of it. We stay and can cover all our needs with a deep draft. Setting us up for years, with Pioli with him, I believe we will come away with a solid draft.