Who Dimitroff Will Target Based On Dimitroff's History

Let me preface this by saying that I do not care about college football, I do not do mock drafts, I don't follow the off-season draft process, and I don't pretend to be a "scout" for college players. Here's what I do know: What this team needs and how Dimitroff thinks, and by that I mean what he looks for in players at particular positions, rounds, etc.

Dimitroff is not a BPA guy, he's not a strictly needs based guy. Dimitroff is a system specific, BPA at a position of need guy. What do we need more than anything right now? Pass rush and an OT. After that you have positions like FS and TE, but we're not going to be after that at the top of the first round. So here's where we are. I can determine that those are the two positions we're targeting, it's fairly obvious. Now, from here, we now look at the "system specific" side of things. That's not necessarily about what Koetter or Nolan runs schematically, but personality fits as well.

Dimitroff likes senior year, leader types(team captains) that boast a good work ethic, polished technique, good college production. Think of Matt Ryan, Sean Weatherspoon, and Julio Jones. Outside of Julio coming out as a junior, they all match that profile. Now, out of the top 10 players at the positions of need, who fits that mold the most?

• Clowney is not a senior, is not a leader, has questionable work ethic, whose production dipped heavily his last year. I would be shocked if Dimitroff went after Clowney in this draft.
  • Khalil Mack is a "Dimitroff/Falcons" type player if there ever was one. He's coming out after a very productive senior season, is a team captain, has excellent work ethic, is very polished, and on top of that, he fits what both Nolan and Smith look for in defensive players(high motor, intelligent, etc.). Out of ALL players that have come out since 2008, he fits this team as well as anyone.
  • Tayor Lewnan is a senior, a team captain, and obviously was productive his senior year. Where things go off though is his legal issues and personal foul problems, but he's close enough that I think Dimitroff would take him as a back-up option.
  • Greg Robinson is a decent fit, but he's a very raw prospect that is coming out as a junior. Again, that's not what Dimitroff ideally looks for.
  • Jake Matthews is also another "Dimitroff player." He's a senior, very productive, a known leader, is very polished, has an excellent work ethic, and to top it off, has an NFL pedigree to go to his name.

Hardly an extensive break-down of these guys, but I'm not here for that. I think based off just a little research on these guys, it's easy to see who fits the Dimitroff mold better than others. Based on what I know about how Dimitroff thinks, I think it's safe to say that Mack and Matthews are the prospects we are targetting this year, with Mack getting a slight edge over Matthews. That's my take on our 1st round pick, and I'm not really interested in who is "supposed" to be the better prospect, who will be available, or anything else like that. Based on what I know of the top prospects at positions of need, those two will be who Dimitroff puts at the top of his board.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me preface this by saying that I do not care about college football, I do not do mock drafts, I don't follow the off-season draft process, and I don't pretend to be a "scout" for college players. Here's what I do know: What this team needs and how Dimitroff thinks, and by that I mean what he looks for in players at particular positions, rounds, etc.

Dimitroff is not a BPA guy, he's not a strictly needs based guy. Dimitroff is a system specific, BPA at a position of need guy. What do we need more than anything right now? Pass rush and an OT. After that you have positions like FS and TE, but we're not going to be after that at the top of the first round. So here's where we are. I can determine that those are the two positions we're targeting, it's fairly obvious. Now, from here, we now look at the "system specific" side of things. That's not necessarily about what Koetter or Nolan runs schematically, but personality fits as well.

Dimitroff likes senior year, leader types(team captains) that boast a good work ethic, polished technique, good college production. Think of Matt Ryan, Sean Weatherspoon, and Julio Jones. Outside of Weatherspoon's inconsistent production, and Julio coming out as a junior, all of them pretty much match that profile. Now, out of the top 10 players at the positions of need, who fits that mold the most?

• Clowney is not a senior, is not a leader, has questionable work ethic, whose production dipped heavily as a senior. I would be shocked if Dimitroff went after Clowney in this draft.
  • Khalil Mack is a "Dimitroff/Falcons" type player if there ever was one. He's coming out after a very productive senior season, is a team captain, has excellent work ethic, is very polished, and on top of that, he fits what both Nolan and Smith look for in defensive players(high motor, intelligent, etc.). Out of ALL players that have come out since 2008, he fits this team as well as anyone.
  • Tayor Lewnan is a senior, a team captain, and obviously was productive his senior year. Where things go off though is his legal issues and personal foul problems, but he's close enough that I think Dimitroff would take him as a back-up option.
  • Greg Robinson is a decent fit, but he's a very raw prospect that is coming out as a junior. Again, that's not what Dimitroff ideally looks for.
  • Jake Matthews is also another "Dimitroff player." He's a senior, very productive, a known leader, is very polished, has an excellent work ethic, and to top it off, has an NFL pedigree to go to his name.

Hardly an extensive break-down of these guys, but I'm not here for that. I think based off just a little research on these guys, it's easy to see who fits the Dimitroff mold better than others. Based on what I know about how Dimitroff thinks, I think it's safe to say that Mack and Matthews are the prospects we are targetting this year, with Mack getting a slight edge over Matthews. That's my take on our 1st round pick, and I'm not really interested in who is "supposed" to be the better prospect, who will be available, or anything else like that. Based on what I know of the top prospects at positions of need, those two will be who Dimitroff puts at the top of his board.

blink.png

Your post makes a lot of sense,given TD's history and you could be right on the leadership and good character traits he seems to value.I hope we end up with Clowney or Mack and I think the price will be right to trade up to #2 and get probably Mack.This way we don't over pay Huston and we still get a great pass rusher at a cheaper price than Clowney who I think will go at #1

Clowney because he's the wrecking ball on the edge this team needs.

This team does not need to watch Brees drop back 45 times with no pass rush.

This team needs someone bigger and faster than Cam to neutralize his running ability.

A wide long armed RT can be had later in the draft to throw in the competition with Johnson, Holmes and Carimi.

A safety can be found in the mid rounds to pair with a FA from the current crop or cuts after the draft.

Dimitroff likes senior year, leader types(team captains) that boast a good work ethic, polished technique, good college production. Think of Matt Ryan, Sean Weatherspoon, and Julio Jones. Outside of Weatherspoon's inconsistent production, and Julio coming out as a junior, all of them pretty much match that profile. Now, out of the top 10 players at the positions of need, who fits that mold the most?

• Clowney is not a senior, is not a leader, has questionable work ethic, whose production dipped heavily as a senior. I would be shocked if Dimitroff went after Clowney in this draft.

I think your analysis and theory are spot on. I agree that Jake Matthews and Khalil Mack seem to be the most "Dimitroff-like" players. So, giving your post grade an "A".

However, this is discussion thread so might as well play devil's advocate to promote discussion. Clearly Dimitroff - for the first time in his career - is making moves as if his job depended on immediate success - clearly it does. You could tell from offseason pressers from Smitty and Dimitroff that they are feeling the heat from Arthur Blank. Blank has put a large portion of his billionaire fortune into this new stadium - he cannot afford to have an inferior product on the field.

Dimitroff also brought in two other former GMs - one that was his boss in New England - Arthur Blank is probably droppin' another $1.5mm on salaries for Pioli/DeVaney. These are moves made by Dimitroff to get a 2nd and 3rd look on this roster and moves to be made in free agency/draft.

So, my theory back to you is this - Dimitroff is in a very pressure-packed position and he has two former GMs advising him - his moves are going to look different - clearly the whole offseason has looked different and Pioli/Devaney are part of the reason.

So, going by past drafts, it won't necessarily tell the story here.

I think your analysis and theory are spot on. I agree that Jake Matthews and Khalil Mack seem to be the most "Dimitroff-like" players. So, giving your post grade an "A".

However, this is discussion thread so might as well play devil's advocate to promote discussion. Clearly Dimitroff - for the first time in his career - is making moves as if his job depended on immediate success - clearly it does. You could tell from offseason pressers from Smitty and Dimitroff that they are feeling the heat from Arthur Blank. Blank has put a large portion of his billionaire fortune into this new stadium - he cannot afford to have an inferior product on the field.

Dimitroff also brought in two other former GMs - one that was his boss in New England - Arthur Blank is probably droppin' another $1.5mm on salaries for Pioli/DeVaney. These are moves made by Dimitroff to get a 2nd and 3rd look on this roster and moves to be made in free agency/draft.

So, my theory back to you is this - Dimitroff is in a very pressure-packed position and he has two former GMs advising him - his moves are going to look different - clearly the whole offseason has looked different and Pioli/Devaney are part of the reason.

A+ response.Carry on.

excellent post and i agree with your assessment! HOWEVER, there's a wildcard in this draft/year. and i think that wildcard is..'i'm on the hotseat' wildcard. i think there will be a certain sense of desperation (for lack of a better word) that has not been there before for this regime. a tend to 'maybe' ignore the filters that have been in place up til now. but with that said i still like your take!!

"Think of Matt Ryan, Sean Weatherspoon, and Julio Jones. Outside of Weatherspoon's inconsistent production, and Julio coming out as a junior, all of them pretty much match that profile."

So.....basically you mean only Matt Ryan matches? lol

The only trend I see in Dimitroff's drafting style is that he likes Senior/Captains, but most draftable Seniors were captains anyway. So basically, he likes Seniors.

But then went after Julio as a Junior because he was super-talented.

So really he shows no patterns. lol

I agree. There has clearly already been a massive Pioli stamp on the FA process, and I would think each draft pick will be pretty much a group-selection with everybody including Nolan and Smith providing input, rather than TD throwing out his personal choice and that decision just being rubber-stamped.

"Think of Matt Ryan, Sean Weatherspoon, and Julio Jones. Outside of Weatherspoon's inconsistent production, and Julio coming out as a junior, all of them pretty much match that profile."

So.....basically you mean only Matt Ryan matches? lol

The only trend I see in Dimitroff's drafting style is that he likes Senior/Captains, but most draftable Seniors were captains anyway. So basically, he likes Seniors.

But then went after Julio as a Junior because he was super-talented.

So really he shows no patterns. lol

The idea being that they so strongly exhibited the characteristics Dimitroff wants from a player otherwise, he'd ignore that flaw.

I also did an accidental sentence splice on an edit. Weatherspoon matched TDs desired qualities to a pinpoint coming out, he just hasn't really produced for us since joining the team. I ended up blending those sentences together, so ignore his mention there.

Clowney because he's the wrecking ball on the edge this team needs.

This team does not need to watch Brees drop back 45 times with no pass rush.

This team needs someone bigger and faster than Cam to neutralize his running ability.

A wide long armed RT can be had later in the draft to throw in the competition with Johnson, Holmes and Carimi.

A safety can be found in the mid rounds to pair with a FA from the current crop or cuts after the draft.

But what is TD thinking? I assure you that unless he's found something we don't know about, he's not looking at Clowney as a viable choice.

Dimitroff likes senior year, leader types(team captains) that boast a good work ethic, polished technique, good college production. Think of Matt Ryan, Sean Weatherspoon, and Julio Jones. Outside of Julio coming out as a junior, they all match that profile. Now, out of the top 10 players at the positions of need, who fits that mold the most?

• Clowney is not a senior, is not a leader, has questionable work ethic, whose production dipped heavily as a his last year. I would be shocked if Dimitroff went after Clowney in this draft.

Wow....dude, excellent points, I totally overlooked his penchant for leader types.....that makes me feel better about the possibility of

not throwing the draft away on Clowney.

• Clowney is not a senior, is not a leader, has questionable work ethic, whose production dipped heavily as a his last year. I would be shocked if Dimitroff went after Clowney in this draft.

You left out one important fact we also love to draft guys that did well in the college all star games. He does understand top picks tend not to attend the all star games though.

Your logic is flawless. Mathews is the obvious choice based on the player types we covet.

However I am 100% convinced that we are trading up to #1 for Clowney. I think her are far too many rumours and supporting comments from scouts /sources, for it be pure speculation on the part of he media. TD doesn't do smokesceens and I don't think we'd have brought him in for the forceplate tests unless he was nailed on as out #1 target.

The only question for me at this point is the cost of the deal, altough I don't think it matters as even the cheapest deal we could realistically get will have a devasatng effect on or ability to address our needs.