Maybe It's Just Me

Falcon918

Am I the only one that thinks had we not lost Julio, Jackson, biermann, baker, Weatherspoon, Johnson, and had a healthy Roddy we would not be discussing depth. It would be great to have starters sitting behind starters but if you lose that many of your main pieces that is going to make it difficult for any team.

Every team has injuries but if you take away key players from any team it will in most cases cause a negative effect. We lost a lot of games by a touchdown or less. But we gave some teams a run for there money even with everything going against us.

If you look at where we have been picking the last 5 or 6 years this may be a blessing in disguise. We have an opportunity to get a top prospect in the draft. So please stop with the Td is a failure threads it is far from the truth. We could be like the cowboys and be a 500 team for most of the last 15 years. Just saying we are in the playoffs almost every year since Td and Smith came don't take away from what they have done. But give them a chance to build on it and obviously you can tell that they are trying to get better year in and year out.

One thing you can't say about our owner, gm, or coach is that they are not trying to better this team.

Not trying to say you have to agree with every move but they have earned enough success to get a chance to fix it.

Go Falcons!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that thinks had we not lost Julio, Jackson, biermann, baker, Weatherspoon, Johnson, and had a healthy Roddy we would not be discussing depth. It would be great to have starters sitting behind starters but if you lose that many of your main pieces that is going to make it difficult for any team.

Every team has injuries but if you take away key players from any team it will in most cases cause a negative effect. We lost a lot of games by a touchdown or less. But we gave some teams a run for there money even with everything going against us.

If you look at where we have been picking the last 5 or 6 years this may be a blessing in disguise. We have an opportunity to get a top prospect in the draft. So please stop with the Td is a failure threads it is far from the truth. We could be like the cowboys and be a 500 team for most of the last 15 years. Just saying we are in the playoffs almost every year since Td and Smith came don't take away from what they have done. But give them a chance to build on it and obviously you can tell that they are trying to get better year in and year out.

One thing you can't say about our owner, gm, or coach is that they are not trying to better this team.

Not trying to say you have to agree with every move but they have earned enough success to get a chance to fix it.

Go Falcons!

I was actually thinking the same thing. If we didn't have those injuries we might not have made the playoffs but we would probably won at least 8 games. We would be picking much later and not have the option to do what we can in the draft.

every team has injuries some overcome (depth) some don't

from year to year the # injuries vary from team to team etc

2012 and 2013 the Falcons had a rash of injuries----

they overcame in 12 didn't in 13

in 2011 only Ovie and Mike Johnson missed a lot of time

in 2010 only Norwood and Meier missed a lot of time

every team has injuries some overcome (depth) some don't

from year to year the # injuries vary from team to team etc

2012 and 2013 the Falcons had a rash of injuries----

they overcame in 12 didn't in 13

in 2011 only Ovie and Mike Johnson missed a lot of time

in 2010 only Norwood and Meier missed a lot of time

It makes a difference when it is your star players. Hard to replace a Julio. You know what I mean?

I dont think we would have made it back to the NFC championship game last year with those guys healthy. And we would be picking in the late 20's this draft if they were healthy. And I dont want to imagine what TD would give up to get Clowney from that position.

Go Falcons!

Very well stated! I have been saying this the entire time but everyone keeps ignoring it but it's the truth. No team in the NFL could lose as many starters as we did and still win NO TEAM.

Holmes, Konz and Baker were supposed to be our starters and they were all terrible. Bad bad drafting is why we ended up being so bad

Actually it had been reported that Mike Johnson was running away with the battle for RT, not Holmes.

And Baker was bad because he was hurt, not because he's a bad player normally.

Konz was a let down i'll admit.

We would still be talking depth because you don't know who Worrilow, Bartu, Schraeder and Johnson are. You don't force Ryan to learn to trust other players beside Roddy and Julio. You don't find out what the bottom of your roster is made of.

Smitty refused to trust and develop the bottom of the roster because he always relied on the stars. This past season forced his hand and we've unearthed some solid depth now because of it. We never played with a contingency plan in case players went down because we didn't have to.

Go Falcons!

I'll give this a "like" and a BUMP!!

Go Falcons!

Fluke season, what can we say.

Holmes, Konz and Baker were supposed to be our starters and they were all terrible. Bad bad drafting is why we ended up being so bad

Correction, Johnson was supposed to be the starter at RT not Holmes and Reynolds was supposed to be as solid as he was in 2012, there was no way anyone could have seen him sucking an egg like he did last year. I'll give them a pass on those 2 positions. Konz though, is perplexing because every expert had him slotted to go where we took him and had him ranked as the #1 center. While he's not what I want in a center (at least yet), it's hard to figure out why he hasn't lived up to his billing...

Remember Holmes is a little more seasoned and Carimi is low risk high reward. We are not as bad as some are saying but we do need players to step up. We will be better this year I believe because our new OL/DL coaches will hold players accountable.

Edited by Falcon918

Actually it had been reported that Mike Johnson was running away with the battle for RT, not Holmes.

Baker I'd average at best when he's healthy and we paid him like one of the best. That was a huge mistake that added to the pile last year

Well I have never really blamed last year's failure totally on TD or Smith. We did have a ton of injuries to crucial players that could not be predicted. It is really hard to predict how this team would have fared if all our guys had been healthy. However, where I do fault them has nothing to do with the injuries, or last season. Since they came here both lines have been average at best, and recently in a fairly steady decline to mediocrity. Even without the injuries, it's hard to fathom how a guy like Konz could be so unready to play, or Holmes could be in such bad shape. Even harder to understand is using a 3rd round pick on such mediocre talent.

However, I still never wanted either TD or Smitty fired over this extreme shortcoming. I really think they have realized they are clueless at evaluating line talent which is why I believe they brought in Pioli. I still wonder if Smith can hire good coaches though, as evidenced by our really bad line play the last few years, and the obvious lack of physical conditioning of the team. Hopefully they received the message and have made the right moves to correct it. If not, I still won't call for their firing. I won't have to as we have an owner who won't hesitate to get rid of anyone who does not produce results.

Edited by FalconFanForLife

The above is why the Falcons won't take a T at 6.