Falcons Perform Fancy Schmancy Tests On Clowney

Tom Servo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000344174/article/jadeveon-clowney-will-undergo-biomechnical-assessment

The Atlanta Falcons used what they called a "cutting-edge athletic performance program" Friday on South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney.

Clowney's test took place with a "force plate." A player moves around on that piece of equipment, which takes all sorts of measurements that are fed into a software program. Presumably, the software enabled the Falcons to look at Clowney's range of motion, how well he moved and how stable he was during that movement.Last week, NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport reported that Clowney wouldn't do any team workouts exceptfor one drill for one team; that drill was expected to take about five minutes and was not deemed physically demanding, which matches up with what happened with Clowney on Friday. That Clowney is doing the test for the Falcons, who own the sixth pick in the draft, has led to speculation that Atlanta wants to acquire the No. 1 overall pick from Houston.

According to NFL Media reporter Albert Breer, Clowney scored a 71 out of 80on his speed of movement test, which is comparable to the Falcons' Devin Hester. Breer also reported that Clowney's strength was "at average" for an NFL offensive lineman.

In February, the Falcons announced they have a partnership with Silicon Valley-based Sparta Software Corp., which developed the program. In a release, the Falcons said they will be able "to prioritize player training before and during the season by monitoring player fatigue and injury risk as well as maximizing players' off-field preparation."

The Falcons noted that the software allows for position-specific comparisons.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter@MikeHuguenin.

Does it measure his desire and heart? If not, pretty much a waste of time in Clowney's case.

This is how I feel about him. All the ability in the world isnt going to change him from a "contract year performer".

I refuse to believe that the falcons can screw up the 6th pick in this draft. It's hard to go wrong from where they're sitting.

Agreed. Mack, Clowney, Robinson, Matthews, one of them will be there. Trade back get one of the top two safeties and garner more picks a win win. Only mistake would be trading up for Clowney!

wZuxj.gif?w=640

I refuse to believe that the falcons can screw up the 6th pick in this draft. It's hard to go wrong from where they're sitting.

Agreed, but if you look at a large pct. of Falcon fans in TATF, they're begging them to **** it up and give up multiple picks to move up and take this guy.

Somehow, I don't see Dimitroff being nearly as stupid as many Falcon fans. They stay at 6, even if Mack's gone they'll still come out smelling like a rose. Considering who their quarterback is, that's not a bad thing at all.

SERIOUSLY??? You want to give up multiple picks for this guy?rolleyes.gif

Yes. You wouldn't? I wouldn't trade a draft for him but he's worth two 1s. I'll give up next year's first round for a rusher who draws triple teams.

aint fans go no room to talk about falcs making questionable draft day moves when they give up a whole draft for a tool that likes to smoke tree and wear brides dress and pretend to marry an old senile washed up nfl has been as a coach.get real.all you nfc south posers are scared to death that we are gonna get a beast that will destroy your pathetic teams.and you know,devin hester is gonna make yalls life miserable also.ENJOY!!!!!!