G-Dawg Conclusion: We Need Offensive Tackle In 1St Round

g-dawg

I anxiously await the names of these bad *** OT we decided not to use last year because we wanted to get our starting QB killed and an early draft pick.

Baker is your LT. We have about half-dozen players to compete for RT. We don't need an OT at #6. Period. End of story. Been nice talking to you.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

every other year we go out and find us a nice shiny pass rusher to solve our pass rushing woes.

Ray Edwards, Osi whens the last time we really set down and said the ******* schemes the issue and it doesn't matter if the cheerleaders are rushing its still not going to work. going for this missing pass rusher that solves all our defensive woes at this point is insane.

Last year our point of attack on offense was exposed as a joke, we will not reach the level you guys want until we acquire suitable talent on the offensive line, and we rectify the defensive scheme falling flat in the pass rushing for the last five years regardless how much we invest in it.

The key here is having that 2nd which would likely be gone if we trade up for Clowney. I'd have no problem with Mack at 6 and a OT with our second rounder. But if Mack isn't there, I'd go OT. Not sold on Barr.

I think that we get better production from a healthy Baker a coached up Holmes, a solid starter with Hawely and good guard play from Jon A. I would love to get a Vet to compete at RT as opposed to a Rookie but I do think we need to pull the trigger on Clowney and make that happen and do it without giving up our 2nd round pick. If we have to give up the 2nd then I wouldnt make the trade.

every other year we go out and find us a nice shiny pass rusher to solve our pass rushing woes.

Ray Edwards, Osi whens the last time we really set down and said the ******* schemes the issue and it doesn't matter if the cheerleaders are rushing its still not going to work. going for this missing pass rusher that solves all our defensive woes at this point is insane.

Last year our point of attack on offense was exposed as a joke, we will not reach the level you guys want until we acquire suitable talent on the offensive line, and we rectify the defensive scheme falling flat in the pass rushing for the last five years regardless how much we invest in it.

After all the half-brained attempts to fix the pass rush with pretenders as you mention, don't you think it's time to stop effing around, pay the price and get a legit, impact pass rusher?

you know that could completely and logically argued from the same direction on the opposite side of the trenches.

You know that our offensive stats are way better than our defensive stats, right? You know the Falcon defense was last or among the worst in the league in most major categories last year, but the offense still put up decent numbers and lost games because the defense coughed up leads and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Yes, you can argue for an OT at #6 all day, but the argument is weak sauce when you compare our offensive stats with our defensive stats, ESPECIALLY THE PUTRID PASS RUSH.

After all the half-brained attempts to fix the pass rush with pretenders as you mention, don't you think it's time to stop effing around, pay the price and get a legit, impact pass rusher?

No because the edge has never been the issue, its always been the inability to get pressure inside and force the QB out of the pocket.

No defensive end or OLB will fix that.

but regardless i don't care who plays defense if they are on the field 90% of the time because our offense can't convert 3rd down its a waste. Not even Reggie White could make the impact needed to overcome literately no offense.

We need both OT and pass rusher.

Arguing that we have bodies at RT (Holmes, Johnson, Carimi) leads to the argument that we have bodies at pass rusher (Osi, Massaquoi, Biermann, Maponga) and the pass rushing crew is a lot more talented than the OT crew.

Regardless, both need a top guy to push the others down, but to argue that a guy who was horrible last year, a guy who has never won a starting spot and is generally injured, and a guy who has been cut from 2 teams in 2 years has you "covered" is disingenuous at best.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Start reading and don't stop until you've read and comprehended every word of the 1st post in this thread:

http://boards.atlant...e-top-10-picks/

I'm not wrong. You're just too caught up in your own obsession with OL to see the relatively obvious truth. Even worse, you've helped brainwash poor G-dawg into believing the same psychotic delusion. For shame, sir.

You know that our offensive stats are way better than our defensive stats, right? You know the Falcon defense was last or among the worst in the league in most major categories last year, but the offense still put up decent numbers and lost games because the defense coughed up leads and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Yes, you can argue for an OT at #6 all day, but the argument is weak sauce when you compare our offensive stats with our defensive stats, ESPECIALLY THE PUTRID PASS RUSH.

I don't think our Run Game was a positive stat.

We need both OT and pass rusher.

Arguing that we have bodies at RT (Holmes, Johnson, Carimi) leads to the argument that we have bodies at pass rusher (Osi, Massaquoi, Biermann, Maponga) and the pass rushing crew is a lot more talented than the OT crew.

Regardless, both need a top guy to push the others down, but to argue that a guy who was horrible last year, a guy who has never won a starting spot and is generally injured, and a guy who has been cut from 2 teams in 2 years has you "covered" is disingenuous at best.

We've seen Osi, Mass, Biermann and Maponga play numerous snaps. They are not the answer at pass rush. We have not seen how the new OL we picked up will perform with our OL coaches, and with our other starting OT back from injury. So it's disingenuous of you to criticize Asamoah and Carimi. As for getting cut by 2 teams in 2 years, ish happens. If the guy is garbage, why would TD bring him in? Same for Asamoah. You're writing off Lamar Holmes, even though the coaches and FO have clearly not given up on him? Isn't that also a bit disingenuous? Second-guessing our beloved Boy Genius? The truth is you know the people now on our roster have not been able to provide any pass rush, but you do NOT know how the situation is going to shake out at OT with who we now have on our roster, so just can the self-righteous chest-beating, dude.

I think that we get better production from a healthy Baker a coached up Holmes, a solid starter with Hawely and good guard play from Jon A. I would love to get a Vet to compete at RT as opposed to a Rookie but I do think we need to pull the trigger on Clowney and make that happen and do it without giving up our 2nd round pick. If we have to give up the 2nd then I wouldnt make the trade.

Ya, I don't want to give up the 2nd either. I like the depth at OT and think we can get a good one with our 2nd, potentially even the 3rd. Baker healthy is good, but it's hard to bank on that and if you think of what we have beyond him, there isn't anything of real substance (IMO). I think the new coaching will help, but just don't want to rely on that and be in the same boat as last year (from the OT perspective).

We've seen Osi, Mass, Biermann and Maponga play numerous snaps. They are not the answer at pass rush. We have not seen how the new OL we picked up will perform with our OL coaches, and with our other starting OT back from injury. So it's disingenuous of you to criticize Asamoah and Carimi. As for getting cut by 2 teams in 2 years, ish happens. If the guy is garbage, why would TD bring him in? Same for Asamoah. You're writing off Lamar Holmes, even though the coaches and FO have clearly not given up on him? Isn't that also a bit disingenuous? Second-guessing our beloved Boy Genius? The truth is you know the people now on our roster have not been able to provide any pass rush, but you do NOT know how the situation is going to shake out at OT with who we now have on our roster, so just can the self-righteous chest-beating, dude.

We haven't seen how the pass rushers will perform now that we completely solidified the interior DL with our 2 primary free agents. Nor how they will work now that we have added Bryan Cox. Why don't we see how Mass, Maponga, and Goodman work out now that they can truly develop.

See how the argument is nearly identical?

I don't argue we don't need a pass rusher. We do. The argument that we don't need a pass rusher and that we don't need an OT are the same...they're based on hopes and dreams. I'd rather go ahead and fix the problems, and if other guys develop...great.

We haven't seen how the pass rushers will perform now that we completely solidified the interior DL with our 2 primary free agents. Nor how they will work now that we have added Bryan Cox. Why don't we see how Mass, Maponga, and Goodman work out now that they can truly develop.

See how the argument is nearly identical?

I don't argue we don't need a pass rusher. We do. The argument that we don't need a pass rusher and that we don't need an OT are the same...they're based on hopes and dreams. I'd rather go ahead and fix the problems, and if other guys develop...great.

Yes our only point of contention is what needs to be done first. My view of pass rush first is based on our defensive stats last season, our lack of pass rush for several years and the fact you have to have a superior athlete/talent to have a valid pass rush. I don't believe you have to have an elite OL to have a solid OL. I think OL play is much more of a unit position, while DE/OLB has to have elite physicality, talent and attitude to be successful, and thus will require a higher draft pick than OT. But of course you're right that either side of this could be argued until the cows come home.

Yes our only point of contention is what needs to be done first. My view of pass rush first is based on our defensive stats last season, our lack of pass rush for several years and the fact you have to have a superior athlete/talent to have a valid pass rush. I don't believe you have to have an elite OL to have a solid OL. I think OL play is much more of a unit position, while DE/OLB has to have elite physicality, talent and attitude to be successful, and thus will require a higher draft pick than OT. But of course you're right that either side of this could be argued until the cows come home.

And this is why I wanted a FA RT for 5M. You don't need elite at OL, but if you don't have at least "pretty good," you're sunk. But, leaving the OL in the hands of who is there now can submarine the season.

They don't need elite at OT, but they need to know the guy can start and play well. We may not get that in the 2nd. They've bound their own hands, which is just annoying.

I have also come to the conclusion that we should go OT in the first. BECAUSE, I feel like we need to protect our 100M QB AND I feel like the additions to our Dline, namely Soliai, will eat up blockers allowing other players to get sacks.

But, I wouldn't cry if we got a top tier pass rusher in the first either. If we go something other than OT or pass rusher in the first I will flip my lid. The problem with the top tier pass rusher, is we would almost certainly need to trade up for that...and I don't want to give up this year's early second round pick.

And this is why I wanted a FA RT for 5M. You don't need elite at OL, but if you don't have at least "pretty good," you're sunk. But, leaving the OL in the hands of who is there now can submarine the season.

They don't need elite at OT, but they need to know the guy can start and play well. We may not get that in the 2nd. They've bound their own hands, which is just annoying.

AMEN