G-Dawg Conclusion: We Need Offensive Tackle In 1St Round

g-dawg

Ok, I have been over the draft scenarios a thousand times in my head:

• trade-up for Clowney
  • trade-up for Mack
  • sit still and hope Mack falls
  • trade-up for Greg Robinson
  • sit still and take the best of 1) Robinson, 2) Matthews, 3) Lewan

I have finally decided that the last two options are the best way to go. This Falcons team is an offensive team. We are so deficient in personnel on defense that we are never going to be San Fran or Seattle. We need the defense to be passable and better - much better than it was in 2012 - but we don't need a great defense.

This team is going to succeed or fail based on Matt Ryan/Julio Jones/Roddy White. Obviously if Julio does not come back healthy, we are screwed no matter what we do in the first round. Spoon is already hurt and sounds like he is tracking for another dud/nothing season. I hope the Falcons will have a great season but I think most on here will agree that we will be fortunate to make the playoffs in the loaded NFC South and NFC in general. To risk giving up next year's 1st rounder in a trade-up is very risky business. It seems painless now but would not seem painless next offseason.

Right now, we have a QB that does not have time to throw the ball. Go find a tape on NFL.com or youtube and watch an entire Patriots game and then watch a Falcons game behind it - see how many times Tom Brady is pressured/sacked compared to Matt Ryan - the difference will be astonishing. Matt Ryan is getting CRUSHED. Falcons would lose all credibility talking about improving the LOS and then the only piece brought in on offensive line is right guard Jonathan Asamoah - the h3LL you say!

img23974855.jpg

Falcons will have opportunity at their choice of 3-4 passrushers in 2nd round (Dee Ford, Kony Ealy, Jeremiah Attaochu, DeMarcus Lawrence, Marcus Smith, Scott Crichton). Maybe 1-2 of those guys might be gone but some are going to be available. Are they as good as Clowney? NO. Could 1-2 of those guys possibly develop into pro-bowlers? sure, you just have to pick the right one(s).

Right now Falcons have a Left Tackle(Baker) they may choose to cut next year and another 1st round pick(Spoon) who is in a contract year and coming off his third major injury - we need at least 3 starters out of this draft and hopefully 4 - that is a tall order.

We will need our 1st round draft pick next year - and our 2nd rounder this year.

I said it before free agency and I will say it again - Falcons have too many holes to right the ship and be SB contenders in one season. We need to re-stock this team. We need a starter at RT or LT this season out of this draft. I came up with a pretty decent mock draft w/o our 2nd rounder this year but assumes Jawuan James falls to #3-068 - if he does not, we would be screwed.

I just think the Falcons #1 need this offseason - even over passrusher - is a guy that can start "day 1" at Right Tackle an then eventually take over at Left Tackle. Ideally that is either 1) Greg Robinson or 2) Jake Matthews.

GregRobinson_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Naah, you haven't done 500 mocks, much less a 1000laugh.png

Would much rather trade back into the 8-12 range, pick up an extra pick or two than trade up.

Be really fascinating if both Mack and Matthews are available at 6 to see which TD would take. Don't think there's a wrong answer to that question.

Ok, I have been over the draft scenarios a thousand times in my head:

• trade-up for Clowney
  • trade-up for Mack
  • sit still and hope Mack falls
  • trade-up for Greg Robinson
  • sit still and take the best of 1) Robinson, 2) Matthews, 3) Lewan

I have finally decided that the last two options are the best way to go. This Falcons team is an offensive team. We are so deficient in personnel on defense that we are never going to be San Fran or Seattle. We need the defense to be passable and better - much better than it was in 2012 - but we don't need a great defense.

This team is going to succeed or fail based on Matt Ryan/Julio Jones/Roddy White. Obviously if Julio does not come back healthy, we are screwed no matter what we do in the first round. Spoon is already hurt and sounds like he is tracking for another dud/nothing season. I hope the Falcons will have a great season but I think most on here will agree that we will be fortunate to make the playoffs in the loaded NFC South and NFC in general. To risk giving up next year's 1st rounder in a trade-up is very risky business. It seems painless now but would not seem painless next offseason.

Right now, we have a QB that does not have time to throw the ball. Go find a tape on NFL.com or youtube and watch an entire Patriots game and then watch a Falcons game behind it - see how many times Tom Brady is pressured/sacked compared to Matt Ryan - the difference will be astonishing. Matt Ryan is getting CRUSHED. Falcons would lose all credibility talking about improving the LOS and then the only piece brought in on offensive line is right guard Jonathan Asamoah - the h3LL you say!

Falcons will have opportunity at their choice of 3-4 passrushers in 2nd round (Dee Ford, Kony Ealy, Jeremiah Attaochu, DeMarcus Lawrence, Marcus Smith, Scott Crichton). Maybe 1-2 of those guys might be gone but some are going to be available. Are they as good as Clowney? NO. Could 1-2 of those guys possibly develop into pro-bowlers? sure, you just have to pick the right one(s).

Right now Falcons have a Left Tackle(Baker) they may choose to cut next year and another 1st round pick(Spoon) who is in a contract year and coming off his third major injury - we need at least 3 starters out of this draft and hopefully 4 - that is a tall order.

We will need our 1st round draft pick next year - and our 2nd rounder this year.

I said it before free agency and I will say it again - Falcons have too many holes to right the ship and be SB contenders in one season. We need to re-stock this team. We need a starter at RT or LT this season out of this draft. I came up with a pretty decent mock draft w/o our 2nd rounder this year but assumes Jawuan James falls to #3-068 - if he does not, we would be screwed.

I just think the Falcons #1 need this offseason - even over passrusher - is a guy that can start "day 1" at Right Tackle an then eventually take over at Left Tackle. Ideally that is either 1) Greg Robinson or 2) Jake Matthews.

GregRobinson_crop_exact.jpg?w=1500&h=1500&q=85

The only Oline we end up drafting will be Lewan, Robinson and Matthews are gone before we pick. And chances are, they will end up struggling. We have some bad luck.

at this point, does not really matter what any of us think - we might have the #1 pick by next Friday. I am excited regardless which direction we go. If we end up with Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Matthews or Lewan - I will find the positive and move on.

The only Oline we end up drafting will be Lewan, Robinson and Matthews are gone before we pick. And chances are, they will end up struggling. We have some bad luck.

fairly confident that both Matthews and Lewan will be available.

I think we are not realizing what Tony was doing for our offense. I think this is going to be a retooling or re make of our offense, because without Tony it changes a lot. We were really spreading out the defenses with these players, without all 3 of them the teams are going to attack us differently. They will go after the QB and take more chances with getting hands on Ryan. We know we are going to switch some things up with more inline TEs and going back to more traditional pro style offense, with relying on running game and blocking and forcing teams to try and beat us rather than us finessing them to death. We tried with the finesse way and almost got there, and thats a great testament to our recievers, but this game is still won at the core of the lines. I think we are going to go back for that, and ****, we can find tons of reasons why we should get clowney, wont be this high in draft again, etc etc. Can get tackle in later rounds, all of this is true, but I think our offense is nowhere near what it was without Tony, and the coaches know this, so we are going to have to retool as much as possible, while getting CLowney can def change the defense and how we play on that side of the ball, I think we just need too many players on the Off than we think we do, probably several more. I am not against getting the Clown, and really want to see him on our team, but I just think the offense will sputter if we do not focus on the running game and stop putting so much pressure on Julio and Roddy. Julio is not that durable and we need him healthy. We have to run the ball and we need FB another RB and probably another guard in the later rounds plus a top tackle.

If we keep all of our picks, we have 4 in top 100, which if you look at top 100 players can def get 4 starters here if you are lucky and draft well, I think you will see us draft 2 Olineman a FB and another RB/ inline TE. Tonys preformaance may not seemed like he was making that much of a diff but teams were playing us a different way than they will this year, they are going to attack us even more this year.

fairly confident that both Matthews and Lewan will be available.

Maybe if teams trade up for certain players but as of right now, Lewan is the likely pick at #6. Rob/Matthews at 2 and the other will end up going #5. And this team is going to fail because of our defense and how pathetic it is. If TD was smart, he'll trade up for Clowney or Mack.

I've been saying for awhile, assuming no trades:

1. OT

2. OLB

3. S

4. BPA at RB / TE / ILB

4. BPA at RB / TE / ILB

5. BPA at RB / TE / ILB

6. FB

7. BPA

7. BPA

7. BPA

I think we will do the following trades:

1. Use 4th and 5th to move up into late 3rd

2. Use 6th and 7th to move up into late 5th

Thus a Mock (with the trades above) like the following (sort of cookie cutter, but insert your own guy at the position):

1. Matthews (OT)

2. Attaochu (OLB)

3. Bucannon (S)

3. Amaro (TE)

4. West (RB)

5. JC Copeland (FB)

7. BPA at DT

7. BPA at WR

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

I've been saying for awhile, assuming no trades:

1. OT

2. OLB

3. S

4. BPA at RB / TE / ILB

4. BPA at RB / TE / ILB

5. BPA at RB / TE / ILB

6. FB

7. BPA

7. BPA

7. BPA

I think we will do the following trades:

1. Use 4th and 5th to move up into late 3rd

2. Use 6th and 7th to move up into late 5th

that looks about right as long as the value on the board works for the position you list in each round - think it would.

People seems to not realize just how much our weak offensive line effected our record last year. Even with a top 10 QB we had a 4-12 record. We had stars appear on defense and still we couldn't form a constant threat on offense.

Only a fool wouldn't come out of this draft with a at least two serous pickups in our front 5, to compete at Tackle and Guard. Even with a huge pickup on defense end it won't matter if our offense can't force the other team to actually score.

Here is where I'm at on a Clowney trade. I believe the price is gonna be 1, 2, 1(anymore than that and shouldn't even be considered). After some research, a lot of the better RTs in the league come from the 2nd round. So lets assume we are losing a starting RT in this trade. Next year's first I'm gonna value at mid-level pick, call it 20. This is either a starting FS, LT, or LB(based on needs).

We are married to Baker for the next 2 years(I believe, 1 for sure). The effects of this trade don't impact LT imo.

Assuming Holmes is an outright bust, we have a 2nd round pick next year to address RT. This trade impacts RT for this year, but can be fixed next year.

Free safety is where the other glaring hole is at, and I've been told by all the draft gurus that the 2nd round is not the round to address this, it's the 3rd. So therefore, this trade doesn't impact this FS.

I'm not gonna argue from a depth perspective, because I believe giving up a 1 and 2 is losing potential starters. And by my calculation, we lose a starting LB in this trade, and RT for this year. If the Clown is what everyone says he is.....it's worth it.

if we get Clowney, I'm still going to be excited about it though.....but I do think the better move is to get the future left tackle and immediate right tackle.

I like Clowney, I just dont like him for 3 high picks. We've traded up too many times and down not enough(if ever) and its starting to show in our lack of depth. When we need 3-4 starters as you said in your post, stay put, fix the O-line. This team wins and loses through the offense regardless if we like it or not.

Maybe if teams trade up for certain players but as of right now, Lewan is the likely pick at #6. Rob/Matthews at 2 and the other will end up going #5. And this team is going to fail because of our defense and how pathetic it is. If TD was smart, he'll trade up for Clowney or Mack.

its not an "either/or" - both the offensive line an the passrush is deficient. At least if you go Offensive Tackle in 1st round, you still have the assets to address the passrush. Does not really work as well the other way, plus you are crippling yourself in 2015.

that looks about right as long as the value on the board works for the position you list in each round - think it would.

Check edited Mock above

Most would probably switch Bucannon with Reynolds / FSU kid, RB would be Sims or West, TE could be CJ or ASJ, or Amaro...

Im pretty convinced Robinson will not be there at #6, but I'm also convinced that I like Matthews by a smidge over Robinson...

Here is where I'm at on a Clowney trade. I believe the price is gonna be 1, 2, 1(anymore than that and shouldn't even be considered). After some research, a lot of the better RTs in the league come from the 2nd round. So lets assume we are losing a starting RT in this trade. Next year's first I'm gonna value at mid-level pick, call it 20. This is either a starting FS, LT, or LB(based on needs).

We are married to Baker for the next 2 years(I believe, 1 for sure). The effects of this trade don't impact LT imo.

Assuming Holmes is an outright bust, we have a 2nd round pick next year to address RT. This trade impacts RT for this year, but can be fixed next year.

Free safety is where the other glaring hole is at, and I've been told by all the draft gurus that the 2nd round is not the round to address this, it's the 3rd. So therefore, this trade doesn't impact this FS.

I'm not gonna argue from a depth perspective, because I believe giving up a 1 and 2 is losing potential starters. And by my calculation, we lose a starting LB in this trade, and RT for this year. If the Clown is what everyone says he is.....it's worth it.

Sam Baker's cap hit is takeable next year without much damage to salary cap. If he gets hurt again this year, then he will be cut in 2015. Spoon may be allowed to walk next year - which means one of our players that was supposed to be an impact player(but wasn't) is also gone. On top of that, now our 2015 1st round pick is gone. That is a lot to potentially replace in 2015 without the benefit of a 1st round pick.

We need the BPA at a position of need in the 1st round. No trade ups. Not position tunnel vision. Be patient and get the BPA at a position of need. That simple.

agreed. but I'm assuming that Clowney/Mack are gone - of course I did not say that. I do think the offensive tackles in round 2 are not as appealing as the DE/OLBs in round 2 - and not sure that Mack is rated much higher than Matthews/Robinson - maybe slightly.

i definitely think the draft sets up better for Falcons if they select offensive tackle in 1st round.

its not an "either/or" - both the offensive line an the passrush is deficient. At least if you go Offensive Tackle in 1st round, you still have the assets to address the passrush. Does not really work as well the other way, plus you are crippling yourself in 2015.

We need an impact player on defense with our first pick. But it doesn't matter what we think.