Ed Werder

atljbo

I said this in a thread a while ago and I'll say it again. What if this was the plan all along? Go out and get huge guys in FA to eat double teams (Soliai, Jackson) and bring back some guys then trade for Jadeveon. That's leaving Clowney in a 1v1, maybe even free almost every time.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this in a thread a while ago and I'll say it again. What if this was the plan all along? Go out and get huge guys in FA to eat double teams (Soliai, Jackson) and bring back some guys then trade for Jadeveon. That's leaving Clowney in a 1v1, maybe even free almost every time.

And shift to Clowney's side

http://www.cbssports...p-deal-in-works

Are the Atlanta Falcons positioning for a Jadeveon Clowney trade?

The Falcons, who numerous league sources say remain very focused on South Carolina pass rusher Clowney, hosted him for a visit this week and are scheduled to spent more time with him Friday.

The Falcons are seen by many execs as the team most likely to trade up to first overall with Houston, with Clowney their target. Pass rush remains a big void for the team,which hopes to bounce back to Super Bowl contention after a disastrous 2013. GM Thomas Demitroff has pulled off big draft-day moves in the past and the Texans are very open to trading down, with at least three players under consideration for the top selection.

Clowney was in Atlanta on Wednesday and on Friday he will not have a full workout for them, but, according to a source, he "will do a few things on the field," with Falcons brass on campus. The Falcons are likely to work out South Carolina WR Bruce Ellington as well.

The Texans could well take Clowney is they stay at first overall, but if they trade down, Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles would be in play, while the Texans have also spent considerable time considering Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack, who won't be there at No. 6 overall, as well as quarterback Johnny Manziel.

I'm with you. To me he's worth next year's #1, but we need our 2nd round pick. I don't want to sacrifice too much in this draft. Losing next year's hurts, but Clowney is a rare player.

I'd rather grab Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan in the 1st and get Attaochu or Ford in the second than Clowney and no 2nd rounder. If we could get Clowney, and grab Moses somehow, that would be amazing, I just don't see us being that lucky.

what you have to be careful about is trading next year's 1st. Before the Julio trade, Dan Reeves traded the following year's 1st rounder - it ended up being the #5 overall pick in the draft.

Let's say we don't get an offensive tackle and Matt Ryan gets pummelled - separates his shoulder and misses half the season - next thing you know the Falcons are 4-12 again -and without a 1st round pick - ouch!

1st next year and 3rd + 5th

Plus a player . Would not be shocked to see a player like Spoon or Bierman gone

How do you support this trade but call Julio a shiny ornament? You spent a long time harping on build through draft yet you cavalierly trade away high picks. SMH

what you have to be careful about is trading next year's 1st. Before the Julio trade, Dan Reeves traded the following year's 1st rounder - it ended up being the #5 overall pick in the draft.

Let's say we don't get an offensive tackle and Matt Ryan gets pummelled - separates his shoulder and misses half the season - next thing you know the Falcons are 4-12 again -and without a 1st round pick - ouch!

That's always the risk, but I still think TD is playing win for now.

@JohnKincade: For a roster with so many holes and lack of depth, Falcons mortgaging future again seems inconceivable. Not buying it.

@MoveTheSticks: @JohnKincade we're doing a segment on their roster today. Much worse than I thought.

I listen to Buck and Kincaid everyday and Kincaid never makes any sense. Where are all the holes?! I just don't see them. We had an abnormal amount of injuries to key players last season all those guys should be healthy and ready to go.

This is not just idle speculation. Apparently the Falcons have been talking with all the clubs at the top of the draft and gauging their interest in trading down. The GM's are leaking this info and saying the Falcons have been the most aggressive in pursuing trade up scenarios.

To me it all comes down to the cost. Clowney would add an intimidation factor that our defense hasn't had for so long. But there are lots of other players I would love to have in this draft, too.

I just don't know that Clowney is the guy I want as the the leader in the locker room. I am talking about from a leadership and work ethic standpoint. He reminds me too much of MV7 with the combination of HOF abilities, diva qualities, and coasting on natural ability without wanting to work that hard. It is a such a high risk/reward. That nonchalant attitude can rub off on other guys who can't just get by on natural talent.

As long as we keep this years 2nd.

The only way i'd want us to give up next years first is if we do something like this

Trade up for Clowney

Give up our 1st, 3rd, and something else.

Then if pick 20 or so is there, and Pryor is there, trade up again and give up next years first and something this year.

Matt Ryan did a good job last year with Douglas and other WRs, with a hurt Roddy. Exit Tony, insert Julio, and Roddy healthy. Douglas as well. We added a guard, who was our biggest weakness. Ryan could never step up in the pocket. Ever. Tice also brings toughness to coach these guys up. Ryan put us in spots to win, and he can continue that. What always made us lose, was our Defense could NOT get off the field. We have the Corners. We have the DT's. We even have the LBs. We were missing a PREMIER pass rusher, and a FS who isn't afraid to tackle.