Ed Werder

atljbo

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The statement is kind of whack and makes no sense.

I do think that drafting Clowney with the intention of trading down later is tough, but it doesn't have anything to do with the rookie salary cap.

The problem is that if that is there plan, it means they want Bortles or Manziel, or possibly Mack, and the rest of the top 5 is so up in the air that there is no way of them knowing if the guy they really want is going to be there at the pick they want to trade two.

Or even if one of their top 2 choices are going to be there. Or three even.

Prisco and La Canfora are speculating the same.

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 2m

There are no shortage of execs in the league who believe the Texans best odds of trading out of 1st overall is w/ Atlanta to get Clowney

The Falcons already hosted Jadeveon Clowney and will also meet with him and do a few drills on S. Carolina campus on Friday...

Pete Prisco@PriscoCBS 4m

@JasonLaCanfora And then they trade up to No. 1 to get him

Most confusing draft I can remember. I think we all need to prepare ourselves for the fact that TD may trade away some picks to move up for Clowney. If this happens I'll be super pumped and scared as heII at the same time. Our D-line would be beastly with Clowney on it but we have too many other needs to give up our second round pick this year....

but what does that mean? to Falcons at #6.

based on Dimitroff's reputation alone? or is there more to it than that?

Noooo ...After he said houston is expected to trade the pick and the teams he talked to said they expect it to be to the falcons..... They were basically saying this trade will have to be a before the draft type trade... They said it couldnt be a Eli type trade because the rookie signing money wont match up..... Its a 1 million dollar difference in the assigned for the 6th pick and the 1st pick...

Basically the trade will have to go down before the draft .. It cant be a .. Texans draft Clowney .. Then wait for us to draft a guy.. Then a trade happens

Noooo ...After he said houston is expected to trade the pick and the teams he talked to said they expect it to be to the falcons..... They were basically saying this trade will have to be a before the draft type trade... They said it couldnt be a Eli type trade because the rookie signing money wont match up..... Its a 1 million dollar difference in the assigned for the 6th pick and the 1st pick...

Basically the trade will have to go down before the draft .. It cant be a .. Texans draft Clowney .. Then wait for us to draft a guy.. Then a trade happens

that seems ridiculous that you have to do the trade before draft day because of slotting.

keep in mind, if Falcons pulled the trade, they likely would not have their 2nd round pick - so that would bridge a lot of the difference right there - I would think.

I think that means a trade is not going to happen. Whoever the Texans have their heart set on, there is no guarantee that player is going to be there at 6. They can't even have a clue.

Most confusing draft I can remember. I think we all need to prepare ourselves for the fact that TD may trade away some picks to move up for Clowney. If this happens I'll be super pumped and scared as heII at the same time. Our D-line would be beastly with Clowney on it but we have too many other needs to give up our second round pick this year....

I want to hold at 6 or trade down, but know TD isn't consulting with me or half the board here so I am the same way. Excited as **** if it works out but nervous as **** he ain't what everybody says he is.

I think that means a trade is not going to happen. Whoever the Texans have their heart set on, there is no guarantee that player is going to be there at 6. They can't even have a clue.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make - clear as mud.

Thats why Phil Savage said it would have to be 2 players the texans like that they think will be there at 6 for them to make the trade... Like a guy like Matthews that it has been said that they like

So basically if Clowney is drafted at 1 for Texans and then traded to Falcons don't get 1st pick rookie allocation pool which would be bad for us if we plan to keep our 2nd round pick

LOL, if we get Clowney we are not going to be able to keep our 2nd round pick. To go all the way to #1 overall( from #6), it will cost the Falcons this year's 2nd rounder and next year's 1st.

I don't understand the point you are trying to make - clear as mud.

Ok.

Let me see if I can explain.

I assume if the Texans are wanting to trade down, they either want Mack or Bortles or Manziel at 6.

If all those players are gone, then they jacked up their draft.

So basically if Clowney is drafted at 1 for Texans and then traded to Falcons don't get 1st pick rookie allocation pool which would be bad for us if we plan to keep our 2nd round pick

Yea something like that ... They said its $1 million difference in rookie allocation money between the 6th pick and the 1st pick... They trade would need to happen before the pick is made..... Not a draft then trade type deal