Home And Season Opener Vs. Saints... M U S T W I N!

Supes™

At the end of our miserable 2013 season, I stated in here that one of the things Mike Smith must do moving forward to keep his job is to stop being a whipping boy for the Saints. He has to do a better job dealing with our arch rival and NFC South nemesis and improve his horrid W-L record against them.

Now the stage is set, boys and girls. We open against them, here in Atlanta, and I for one am penciling this one in as a MUST WIN if I'm gonna keep defending and supporting Mike Smith. I'm not demanding that he win a Lombardi this season, or even go to the Super Bowl, but by gawd, he better at least split with the Sean Payton and his Saints. I think a loss here at home vs. the Saints to start the 2014 season could have disastrous consequences, at least here in the Supes household. Who's feeling me?

I'm feeling you, my brother. I agree completely. It's time Smith got up off the Mat and popped this smart-alecky Saints team and their hot-shot HC right in the chops. And with the whole season starting at home against them, well, the outcome of this game is going to be looked upon as an omen, a harbinger of things to come for the rest of the season and for Smith's fate as HC of the team. To me, it's a no-brainer, MUST WIN GAME and Smith better be able to deliver a victory, and I don't care who we do or don't get in the draft, who gets hurt in TC, or whatever, Smith needs to win this one badly.

At the end of our miserable 2013 season, I stated in here that one of the things Mike Smith must do moving forward to keep his job is to stop being a whipping boy for the Saints. He has to do a better job dealing with our arch rival and NFC South nemesis and improve his horrid W-L record against them.

Now the stage is set, boys and girls. We open against them, here in Atlanta, and I for one am penciling this one in as a MUST WIN if I'm gonna keep defending and supporting Mike Smith. I'm not demanding that he win a Lombardi this season, or even go to the Super Bowl, but by gawd, he better at least split with the Sean Payton and his Saints. I think a loss here at home vs. the Saints to start the 2014 season could have disastrous consequences, at least here in the Supes household. Who's feeling me?

The only way to assure a victory is the return of Falco LOL atleast for the Saints game

CartoonSaints.jpg

I absolutely agree! We lose this game and there is no way we win the division. It will get in the heads of our players and coaches. If we win however....I think we go on to great things this year, as long as we don't have major injuries.

I hope we come out and punch them in the mouth, then continue the beat down when they are in the fetal position...

I honestly think the 'Aints secondary will be really good. If S Jax comes in ready to truck people and breaking off 5-6 yard runs, they will come up. When they come up, Matt to Julio time deep!!

Brees will throw 3 picks. Screenshot this post.

I'm with you! I'm hoping to see something similar to the Monday night game in 2012 against the Broncos when Peyton couldn't stop throwing the ball to our secondary. He was highly confused that whole game. Where as teams have plenty of film on Nolan's defenses, they won't have any with our new players. Lets put Brees on his arse and make him throw his god-awful shovel pass for an INT three times in the game!!!!!

I really think the addition of Hester is soooo overlooked by Saints fans and us. We had little to no help on field position from special teams. Imagine if we could have started more than half of our drives 20 more yards ahead than what we did...Hester had 1,000+ return yards in 2013( we could have used that especially with our injuries and O-Line).

I remember just looking at punt returns and kick offs like "sure would like to see at least 5 yards out of it"

Field position will be a deciding factor in the Saints game. Book It! Throw in a Percy Harvin like run, catch, or ST TD from Hester in the game and it will be a big improvement from last year.

I'm with you! I'm hoping to see something similar to the Monday night game in 2012 against the Broncos when Peyton couldn't stop throwing the ball to our secondary. He was highly confused that whole game. Where as teams have plenty of film on Nolan's defenses, they won't have any with our new players. Lets put Brees on his arse and make him throw his god-awful shovel pass for an INT three times in the game!!!!!

What about that game in 2011 was it? When BVG blitzed the whole game and our defense was on fire. We lost but it was fun to watch our defense. Even the 5 pick game vs the saints in 12' was fun to watch. That was a different defense right there. wonder what happened.

I have NO doubt that we will come out fired up and punch those Saints in the mouth. In fact, I can almost guarantee that we'll go into halftime with the lead.

What I want to see is whether or not the 'toughness' that they've been touting all off-season carries over into the 3rd quarter and beyond. Coming out for four straight quarters of hard-nosed football will make me feel a h*ll of a lot better about our chances for the rest of the season.

We need to be ready by the time preseason games start. No more losing preseason games and not giving a crp about it. Let's not be caught off guard once in preseason game 4 where we realize our team isn't ready.

It was alarming how little depth we had.

I really think the addition of Hester is soooo overlooked by Saints fans and us. We had little to no help on field position from special teams. Imagine if we could have started more than half of our drives 20 more yards ahead than what we did...Hester had 1,000+ return yards in 2013( we could have used that especially with our injuries and O-Line).

I remember just looking at punt returns and kick offs like "sure would like to see at least 5 yards out of it"

Field position will be a deciding factor in the Saints game. Book It! Throw in a Percy Harvin like run, catch, or ST TD from Hester in the game and it will be a big improvement from last year.

Look up Hester's return yards against the Saints since Morstead was drafted. There's a reason Morstead got paid last year.

I fully agree. It will tell me if Smitty was all talk or if this team even has the nuts to beat good teams. You've got all summer to think about this game. If we come out like it's another game again, I don't know about Smitty and this team.

Last year I laughed off the idea that the season opener against the Saints was a must win. How can the first game of a season be a must-win?!

Well, I've done a full 180 because I couldn't agree more that we MUST WIN this opener. After the disaster of last season, a win against our arch-rival (who historically owns Smitty) sets the tone for 2014.

Good thing is Brees will not get to see the new D front until game time. I doubt they get enough film in preseason to gameplan for.

I'd a preferred to have a couple of games under the belt prior to facing the Saints. I think it takes a minimum of 8 games under a new d-coordinator for teams to start grasping the new scheme. I'll assume the same for a switch in schemes. Problem is right now the talent isn't there on defense. At best it's probably an average defense, at worst it stinks. Preseason isn't enough time to allow for them to really settle into a new scheme. Add one or two rookies who are going to have to start I think they come out of the gate in a similar scheme as last year and gradually introduce new things over the course of a 5-6 weeks.

In the end all that matters is pressuring Brees without bringing extra guys often. If not we're going to have to hope we can keep up with them offensively. The good news is we should be healthy and hopefully Graham is either just getting his contract settled or still holding out.

We need that win in the worst way,if things go sideways and the Saints beat us at home.......just pray that doen't happen.

Honestly I don't think it's the end of the world if we drop game 1. What matters is how we respond against Cin. 1-1 against two playoff teams followed by 6 winnable games going into the bye and a winning record going into the bye looks reasonable. Drop 2 and a sub .500 record going into the bye looks probable.