Vikings Could Be Our Security Blanket

Farmer2

The more I look at the draft the more I worry about the worst case scenario. Which would be Clowney, Robinson, Mack and Matthews all taken before our pick. While IMO Lewan wouldn't be a bad pick here, I believe the Vikings would allow us the opportunity to add a pick. If we get to our pick and Bortles is still on the board, I can't imagine the the FO's of both Tampa and Minnesota won't be salivating at the possibility to add the top QB prospect. At this point I think our FO places a call to Minnesota and offers the chance to jump Tampa and take their guy, while we move back two spots, add a pick and still take Lewan. Thoughts?

Who even is the Vike's QB? If no QB goes in the first 5 picks they'd probably be pretty excited over there getting their pick of the litter.

On the other hand they could look at TB, whom just added the guy they 'say' is their guy, and think they don't need to move up... hard to know really.

Yeah, if the 4 players we covet are gone, moving back for an extra 2nd or 3rd for 2 spots isn't really going to affect our number 1 pick anyway, so why not jump on it? The common assumption is that Tampa is going after a QB or WR, so likelihood is that a position player we want will still be there. It gives us more ammo to get the FS and the pass rusher we want.

I think its more likely that someone calls us for the #6 pick to take Mike Evans before Tampa does. The Lions and Bills have been linked to the guy. Detroit especially. New York Giants have as well and they need a WR on the outside because all they have is Cruz in the slot and Reuben Randle on the outside.

No they definitely could, but regardless the whole point to me is the THREAT of them taking a guy like Evans. Even if they quietly like Lewan a lot. Other teams know about how they like Evans and may not want to risk it.

it is impossible to stop Tampa from getting a good player at #7 - they will - don't worry about that.