Gil Brandt

atljbo

He thinks there's a good chance something happens that has only ever happened once (to my knowledge), and even then only under incredibly odd circumstances?

Why again?

I'm guessing because they can take Clowney, and then if who they want to fall to 4 or 6 or 8 doesn't fall, they still have Clowney. If whoever they want does fall, they get the trade. That way, they don't take the risk of trading down and missing whoever they want.

I'm guessing because they can take Clowney, and then if who they want to fall to 4 or 6 or 8 doesn't fall, they still have Clowney. If whoever they want does fall, they get the trade. That way, they don't take the risk of trading down and missing whoever they want.

And what does the other party stand to gain from this? They're risking some guy falling instead of just trading up to get Clowney? I don't see it.

And what does the other party stand to gain from this? They're risking some guy falling instead of just trading up to get Clowney? I don't see it.

I think the idea would be, Houston says "we're taking Clowney, unless someone makes a deal in which a player we want (let's just say Manziel for kicks) falls to them, and then we'll swap." That means there's no way to get Clowney other than striking a deal that way.

In general, it should lead to less compensation given up. But it doesn't really hurt the lower team much. Let's say we do the trade (which I really hope we don't.) We sit at 6. If Manziel is there, we sign him with a preagreed trade to the Texans. If he isn't there, we just take who we would have at 6 anyway.

I think the idea would be, Houston says "we're taking Clowney, unless someone makes a deal in which a player we want (let's just say Manziel for kicks) falls to them, and then we'll swap." That means there's no way to get Clowney other than striking a deal that way.

In general, it should lead to less compensation given up. But it doesn't really hurt the lower team much. Let's say we do the trade (which I really hope we don't.) We sit at 6. If Manziel is there, we sign him with a preagreed trade to the Texans. If he isn't there, we just take who we would have at 6 anyway.

Maybe... It just seems if you take a guy 1'st overall you better be in complete love with him. And saying 'We'll keep him if nobody trades up, but we want (Bortles, whatever)' doesn't start things off the right way. The Chargers only did it because Eli flat out refused to play for them.

Maybe it'll happen, what do i know. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, personally.

Maybe... It just seems if you take a guy 1'st overall you better be in complete love with him. And saying 'We'll keep him if nobody trades up, but we want (Bortles, whatever)' doesn't start things off the right way. The Chargers only did it because Eli flat out refused to play for them.

Maybe it'll happen, what do i know. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, personally.

I wouldn't generally do it either, as the higher team. I think the guys up top are very squirrely about the QBs. If they could trade down, and even grab a 2nd, and get the guy they want, I think they can make the case that they got value.

Whereas if they take a QB number 1, and he flops, it's hard to recover from. It's a weird draft in general, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of trades and some odd player or even 3 team trades. They're all uncommon, but it's just a very odd draft.

For those who forget, the Chargers received Philip Rivers (the Giants' 1st round pick that year), a present year 3rd, a future year 1st, and a future year 5th, for the Giants to receive Eli.

Not bad. I'd try to make the future first a second if I was dealing to move up