Why Is Everyone Wanting Buchanon At Fs?

LouDog.

Ahmad Dixon ftw. This guy is going to slip and provide Jairus Byrd type impact. I remember wanting Byrd when he came out. At the time he was a corner/safety tweener. Dixon is a fs/ss tweener but showed at the combine he has the speed needed to be rangy after posting two low 4.4 forty times. I'm not saying Byrd is the best safety in the league, but I am saying that the guy provides playmaking ability. Dixon is flying wayyyy under the radar.

http://youtu.be/MK-eILuV_xk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucannon is listed as a SS because his strength is coming downhill & knocking heads off. Major playmaker. 3 time captain. He is not known as well for coverage because he only just got better at it this past year. Based on top measurables Bucannon has elite potential. If he develops into a very good center fielder then he & WiMo would be an awesome duo & interchangeable for Nolan.

I believe people are excited about a dual threat FS (cover & hit) with top size/speeds #s who also could provide scheme trickery by flipping to SS on the fly. He has amazing recovery, but perhaps is out of position at times. The GREAT NEWS is our entire staff knows firsthand whether Bucannon (or Ward) could excel at FS in the NFL thanks to the Senior Bowl.

I just want us to draft the S our FO rates the highest & to trade up as high as #20 if need be to get him.

Bucannon is listed as a SS because his strength is coming downhill & knocking heads off. Major playmaker. 3 time captain. He is not known as well for coverage because he only just got better at it this past year. Based on top measurables Bucannon has elite potential. If he develops into a very good center fielder then he & WiMo would be an awesome duo & interchangeable for Nolan.

I believe people are excited about a dual threat FS (cover & hit) with top size/speeds #s who also could provide scheme trickery by flipping to SS on the fly. He has amazing recovery, but perhaps is out of position at times. The GREAT NEWS is our entire staff knows firsthand whether Bucannon (or Ward) could excel at FS in the NFL thanks to the Senior Bowl.

I just want us to draft the S our FO rates the highest & to trade up as high as #20 if need be to get him.

but other than yourself and a few others, nobody sees him as a good cover guy

THis is true, we may have to get cute...lol. So far I am not confident we can stop the pass. We will have spurts now that we can eat blocks but...

Yeah, I'm very curious what they do. When you're in the nickel 65% of the time, and pressure on the QB is your biggest problem...I have to think they have some plan for Soliai and Jackson in pass rush situations. I don't know what it is, but otherwise these were stupid acquisitions. I'm really giving the benefit of the doubt and hoping that these guys actually can play the pass better than they're given credit for. Like, that Soliai can penetrate on pass plays instead of just be an immovable force.

We'll see. It's the biggest question mark. Can we get pass rush (and if not, why did we get the guys we did?) and can we create a pocket.

Yeah, I'm very curious what they do. When you're in the nickel 65% of the time, and pressure on the QB is your biggest problem...I have to think they have some plan for Soliai and Jackson in pass rush situations. I don't know what it is, but otherwise these were stupid acquisitions. I'm really giving the benefit of the doubt and hoping that these guys actually can play the pass better than they're given credit for. Like, that Soliai can penetrate on pass plays instead of just be an immovable force.

We'll see. It's the biggest question mark. Can we get pass rush (and if not, why did we get the guys we did?) and can we create a pocket.

They eat blocks, but dang man. Without a guy who really has an attack button, we are still looking for a pass rush.

They eat blocks, but dang man. Without a guy who really has an attack button, we are still looking for a pass rush.

I get the eating blocks against the run. But if Soliai can't penetrate, there's no reason to double him on pass plays. He'll only get doubled if he "needs" to be doubled because he'll collapse the pocket otherwise. I thought they'd get more "pocket collapsers" instead of "run stuffers." I'm mostly just glad they hit the OL and DL in free agency, but I am curious how they're going to use those guys in the pass game. If I'm an OC, I single team Jackson and Soliai in the pass game until they show me that's a problem.

Because he is a pretty great player, with a good attitude and the physical traits that could allow him to move to FS pretty seamlessly. His coverage skills aren't bad at all.

says the few on here. I have yet to see a reporter say anything other than his coverage ability is not the greatest

but other than yourself and a few others, nobody sees him as a good cover guy

He is not a bad cover guy and has shown great improvement this past year. If that part of his game continues to develop then he will be a standout player.

Having seen him (& Ward) so thoroughly at the Senior Bowl it is possible our staff feels he has what it takes to be/become "a good cover guy" and desire him enough to draft him. If they don't then we won't and you can have a cookie for being right. I don't really care who it is as long as we draft someone at/near the top of our Safety prospect list.

Strengths Weaknesses

STRENGTHS: Boasts an imposing build with broad shoulders and a thick, muscled-up top half. Best attribute may be his explosive hitting, as Bucannon at times appears as though he is shot out of a cannon, unloading on runners and receivers crossing the middle and forcing fumbles. Doesn't only rely on his big hits to create fumbles, also demonstrating the wherewithal to rip at the ball as he's making the tackle (career-high three forced fumbles in 2013). Also showed improved range and ball-skills in 2013, recording a career-high six interceptions in 2013 to give him 15 for his career... Enjoyed a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

WEAKNESSES: Has a high, choppy backpedal and is stiff in the hips, limiting his ability to change directions fluidly. This leaves Bucannon vulnerable to double-moves and ball-carriers with the agility to cutback against the grain. While a big-hitter, too often Bucannon will lunge at ball-carriers, occasionally resulting in some ugly whiffs. Struggles a bit with tunnel vision, focusing strictly on the ball-carrier and losing sight of would-be blockers, who take advantage of his lack of spatial awareness to seal him off from the play.

COMPARES TO: Craig Dahl, San Francisco 49ers - Like the 6-1, 212-pound Dahl, Bucannon possesses an imposing frame and good closing speed which can result in some big hits. While possessing better ball-skills perhaps than Dahl, Bucannon is not particularly fluid which could lead to his struggles earning (and keeping) a starting role in the NFL

Mack, Robinson, Matthews, Clowney all gone before we pick.

Trade back. Get a 2nd.

Get

Pryor.

Moses

Attaochu.

Who exactly would trade with us, with all those guys off the board? What do we call the Cowboys and say "Yeah, buddy all the guys we wanted are gone. Do me favor and take this pick off my hand and throw a 2nd in to call it even!"

Because people like him and just think he can play FS because they always hear the "interchangeable" word thrown around.

But I know that Ward is listed as a SS, but he plays very FS like and has shown repeatedly he can play man in the slot and deep safety on the back end.

Because people like him and just think he can play FS because they always hear the "interchangeable" word thrown around.

But I know that Ward is listed as a SS, but he plays very FS like and has shown repeatedly he can play man in the slot and deep safety on the back end.

So you chirp posters talking about a SS that could plat FS (Bucannon), then cite your own SS that could play FS right after... ok makes sense?

is stiff in the hips, limiting his ability to change directions fluidly.

I agree that he is at times quite average as a centerfielder. The more I watch the more I seem to lean back towards Ward.

However, with "stiff hips" it would have been hard to run a 6.96 3 code drill at the combine like he did. The rest of his drills also confirm explosion, speed, agility and strength. I wonder if some of his struggles are due more to over-aggression and possibly some weak instincts.

I agree that he is at times quite average as a centerfielder. The more I watch the more I seem to lean back towards Ward.

However, with "stiff hips" it would have been hard to run a 6.96 3 code drill at the combine like he did. The rest of his drills also confirm explosion, speed, agility and strength. I wonder if some of his struggles are due more to over-aggression and possibly some weak instincts.

Not a fan of FS in this draft man.

The idea that a S can excel at both roles of the position is exciting, is it not? "Interchangeable" is an integral part of out schematic philosophy.

Ward is definitely the safer bet.