Pat Tillman

Mr. Hoopah!

Today is the 10 year anniversary of his death. He wasn't just some meat head who played football, nor was he some meat head who signed up for service. He was a very complex and intelligent person and that gets lost in his story. It's unfortunate the Army handled the situation in the manner in which it did. I remember exactly where I was 10 years ago when I heard the news he was killed. I've only shed a tear for the deaths of two NFL players, Tillman and Sean Taylor.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard many people say things like "Pat Tillman is no different than all the other guys who served".

Well....I did serve....and I am here to tell you......that is some straight BS. 99,999 out of 100,000 members of our Army would not have given up what Tillman gave up to sign up for the military.

That number might even be conservative.

He was a truly good guy who signed up for the right reasons. I hope he is always remembered that way.

<p>

I've heard many people say things like "Pat Tillman is no different than all the other guys who served".

Well....I did serve....and I am here to tell you......that is some straight BS. 99,999 out of 10,000 members of our Army would not have given up what Tillman gave up to sign up for the military.

He was a truly good guy who signed up for the right reasons. I hope he is always remembered that way.

Can't fit 99,999 into 10,000 bro.

Well....I did serve....and I am here to tell you......that is some straight BS. 99,999 out of 10,000 members of our Army would not have given up what Tillman gave up to sign up for the military.

a good majority of the people that join the military decide to leave the ones they love behind to help protect the country. They made the same sacrifice. Yall act like the guy gave back all of his cash when he went to war. I assure you he had plenty in the bank. What he did was brave, but no braver than what every other person in the military has done

a good majority of the people that join the military decide to leave the ones they love behind to help protect the country. They made the same sacrifice. Yall act like the guy gave back all of his cash when he went to war. I assure you he had plenty in the bank. What he did was brave, but no braver than what every other person in the military has done

He left a 3 year, $3.6 million dollar contract on the table.

Today is the 10 year anniversary of his death. He wasn't just some meat head who played football, nor was he some meat head who signed up for service. He was a very complex and intelligent person and that gets lost in his story. It's unfortunate the Army handled the situation in the manner in which it did. I remember exactly where I was 10 years ago when I heard the news he was killed. I've only shed a tear for the deaths of two NFL players, Tillman and Sean Taylor.

My point is that millions have made the exact same sacrifice with very little thanks yet 10 years later we are still talking about this guy because he could play a game on TV

You didn't read my first post. He's not just another guy that signed up. Apparently that's lost on you.

You didn't read my first post. He's not just another guy that signed up. Apparently that's lost on you.

so he was the only intelligent and complex person to sign up for the military? At the end of the day, he went to the military and left his fam with a couple mil in the bank to take care of themselves. Its a lot harder to be an 18 year old kid without a dime to your name, leaving off to go to war with no clue what your future holds for you or your family. Regardless of what happened, he knew that his family would financially be taken care of. Most in the military dont have that luxury. Question for you, if Pat Tillman was the same complex and intelligent person yet never played football would you be thanking him right now? Would you even know he ever existed in the first place?

So we shouldn't celebrate any single person that's ever served because they're no different than everyone else that served?

we shouldnt single out certain people and act as though their service means more because they were famous before doing so

I'll wait while you point out to me where I acted as though his service meant more than anyone else. Creating a thread about him does not mean I value his service over another service member's. He has a unique story.

Havent heard you thank anyone else yet. Im answering your questions. Why havent you answered mine? If he wasnt a pro football player would this thread even exist right now?

so he was the only intelligent and complex person to sign up for the military..............

He wasn't Lou, there are lots more like him that serve! Take it from a guy (me) that was an Army Ranger for 12 years, and I had a Mechanical Engineering degree! I see your point and understand it, but what is not open for debate (and tends to get lost) was that he was an elite soldier (Ranger), and that alone sets him apart from most!

Havent heard you thank anyone else yet. Im answering your questions. Why havent you answered mine? If he wasnt a pro football player would this thread even exist right now?

Probably not, but he was, so it does exist.

He wasn't Lou, there are lots more like him that serve! Take it from a guy (me) that was an Army Ranger for 12 years, and I had a Mechanical Engineering degree! I see your point and understand it, but what is not open for debate (and tends to get lost) was that he was an elite soldier (Ranger), and that alone sets him apart from most!

Boomtown.

I think that it is fair to say that Pat Tillman is prime example of how those who serve in our military give us their lives for a short while. Those years are valuable to every man and woman that serves. The difference with Pat Tillman is that almost everyone can see the value of his sacrifice, but all those who serve give up the same amount of their lives each tour and some give more.

Edited by Flip Flop

Yeah that's just not true. Having been in and worked for the military for the majority of my adult life, I can confidently say that almost everyone in the Army is doing it for professional reasons / to improve their own lives.

Are they proud to be serving their country? Absolutely. But it is the actual reason that very few people serve. And to those people I also say - bravo.

I would never have joined if I had the talent to make millions playing football like Pat Tillman. I don't feel ashamed to say that.

Yeah that's just not true. Having been in and worked for the military for the majority of my adult life, I can confidently say that almost everyone in the Army is doing it for professional reasons / to improve their own lives.

Are they proud to be serving their country? Absolutely. But it is the actual reason that very few people serve.

I would never have joined if I had the talent to make millions playing football like Pat Tillman. I don't feel ashamed to say that.

Wouldnt you agree that people signed up when Pat Tillman did were more likely to be the kinds of people who would give up other opportunities to serve. I have a friend who enlisted at 30 in 2001. He had a good career already and he had to lose about thirty pounds before they would let him sign. I don't doubt that he would have walked away from an NFL contract. Your right, though, there aren't many people like that.

Wouldnt you agree that people signed up when Pat Tillman did were more likely to be the kinds of people who would give up other opportunities to serve. I have a friend who enlisted at 30 in 2001. He had a good career already and he had to lose about thirty pounds before they would let him sign. I don't doubt that he would have walked away from an NFL contract. Your right, though, there aren't many people like that.

I don't know. Maybe Pat Tillman did inspire to do that.

Hopefully they didn't end up as jaded with the cause as Pat Tillman was before he died.