Is O-Line Still That Important?

Well, we've done a nice job in FA, and Baker and Johnson should stay healthy - do we really need to acknowledge O-Line at 6?

I think we have the players capable right now, that being said, we have to address the issue, but maybe later in the draft. If Robinson and Matthes are of the table - I don't see the point in picking Lewan - because he is not that much better than what we can get in round 2.

I would rather have Barr as of right now, than Lewan...

It depends. If Baker and Johnson are healthy, the offseason workouts help strengthen up Konz and Holmes and they build cohesiveness with each other then it shouldn't be a major issue.

If, however, it is anything like last year then it's a HUGE issue.

I'll say I won't feel comfortable going in to the season having only replaced. Hopefully they prove me wrong but I don't see much talent there.

Healthy Baker. For how long? Will he be as good as his contract year?

Johnson? A starter for all of two games and forever on the IR list.

Konz and Holmes? After last year they better show something before I put any faith in them. They looked completely void of talent last year.

This guy again?

"Baker and Johnson should stay healthy"

Really? Why "should" they? Johnson hasn't ever been healthy and Baker is always injured as well. Don't see how you can say they "should" stay healthy.

So you don't want Lewan at 6 because you think he isn't much better than the 2nd round OT's yet you would prefer Barr at 6? They are in the same boat bro. C'mon

Edited by Clark Kent™

The other thing that always gets me....is why does anybody think that Mike Johnson can play RT anyway?

Is it because he has already proven that he can't play anywhere else?

Even if he is healthy, there is no evidence the guy is an adequate player.

The other thing that always gets me....is why does anybody think that Mike Johnson can play RT anyway?

Only evidence is that he wont the RT job in training camp, but was that because he played well or because he was the best among crappy players? Who knows.

I think the only reason is because he was named the starter last year before the injury. If you look at it though, it was basically due to lack of competition because everyone else sucked.

Only evidence is that he wont the RT job in training camp, but was that because he played well or because he was the best among crappy players? Who knows.

I think he got hurt before even the first preseason game though if I recall. He might have just been at the top of the depth chart out of seniority and the fact that Holmes wasn't showing anything at all.

I think he got hurt before even the first preseason game though if I recall. He might have just been at the top of the depth chart out of seniority and the fact that Holmes wasn't showing anything at all.

Yeah it was before the preseason game so that very well could have been a possibility, but I think its more of he was the best of a bad bunch.

Our Oline situation last year is still baffling to me.

As NFL talent evaluators and coaches how do you go into camp and preseason with THAT as your line of protection?

Banking on Johnson, Carimi, and Holmes at RT is asking for a disaster. Baker is at least serviceable when healthy and it's an even numbered year so he should be. We definitely need a RT in this draft though.

Agreed. I fail to see the difference between this scenario, and what transpired last year.

As NFL talent evaluators and coaches how do you go into camp and preseason with THAT as your line of protection?

A combination of arrogance and ignorance. Dimitroff struggles to cut bait on bad draft decisions and Pat Hill was incompetent as an NFL Oline coach.

Agreed. And how do you draft 2CBs with your first 3 picks knowing your O line and D line suck that bad. Don't get me wrong i love Tru, but how did they get in the mindset of "oh we will be fine with this O line "

Baker? Eh..... lets just pray for his sake. Johnson? Seriously? We know more about Holmes than we do about Johnson. #1 rule in football is to protect your QB. # 2 rule is to get after opposing QB's. We don't do #1 or #2 very well but you still have to solidify rule #1 1st.

Agreed. And how do you draft 2CBs with your first 3 picks knowing your O line and D line suck that bad. Don't get me wrong i love Tru, but how did they get in the mindset of "oh we will be fine with this O line "

I actually think that was planned, with the hope that the line would be atleast adequate to be replaced this year. Now i'll be livid if we draft another corner in the 1st even with this passing league.

You don't need a dominant OL, but you can't have a tire fire of an offensive line.

Ours was bad enough in both areas that it needs upgrading. An OT at 6 offers improved run blocking, improved pass blocking and insurance for Baker's unreliable health. It's not a sexy pick but I think its a sound one.

Unless one of the top two pass rushers is there. Then you pick them.

Yeah, when virtually everyone was screaming for Warford. How nice would that have been?