Possible Late Round Fs Converts

atlGM

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah lol. I know we have shown interest in him. Most think he will be a great nickel corner and I know we want to upgrade that.

I will be quite mad if we take another CB high. Like livid and I never am cause i don't care that much lol.

We took 2(3 high picks) last year. We spent our free agency picking up 2 more. If we take one high TD cements himself as the matt millen of CBs.

I will be quite mad if we take another CB high. Like livid and I never am cause i don't care that much lol.

We took 2(3 high picks) last year. We spent our free agency picking up 2 more. If we take one high TD cements himself as the matt millen of CBs.

Can't ever have to many DBs lol. Plus all teams play nickel now around 70% plus nowadays. So you need 3 guys who can cover plus a safety. So we know we have 2. RM struggled some, but him or JA might could play some safety. Has some coverage skills and decent tacklers. Would just hope they could cover the deep middle and drop down and cover some along with blitzing.

Yeah Terrence from FSU? I don't know a ton about him, but have liked what I've seen. Is he a projected 3rd rounder?

Yeah. I think he's borderline second. Just depends on if he or buchannon go first.

But he's a converted safety. Very fast and fluid. Pretty decent tackler. Ran a 4.4 iirc. He's a little light right now. Not small, but not a haha or Pryor sized guy.

Well it sounds like his is the guy we should target!

WALT AIKENS, CB

SCHOOL: LIBERTY | CONFERENCE: BSOU

COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR | HOMETOWN: CHARLOTTE, NC

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-1 / 203 LBS.

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Aikens.jpg

Walt Aikens began his college career at Illinois after being recruited by Clemson and Louisville. As a freshman at Illinois Aikens started five games (at safety), notching 32 tackles and breaking up two passes.

However, he was kicked off the team and out of the school following an arrest and guilty plea (with regards to possessing a computer taken from another dorm room).

He then found himself at Liberty College, where he starred as a cornerback.

Strengths

Outstanding size. Good press strength. Good athletic ability. Can keep stride with receivers down the field and ride the hip pocket in man coverage. Aggressive tackler (though often shoots low) -- led the team in tackles as a senior and is unafraid to mix it up. Takes on blocks with physicality and attacks the run. Adequate production on the ball. Has gunner experience.

Weaknesses

Is tight-hipped and lacks ideal foot speed, which creates separation in man coverage. Average instincts -- can be late to diagnose run-pass reads and locate the ball, is a tick slow to sort out routes and too easily lured by nods and fakes. Often plays into the boundary. Benefits from facing average competition. Character will require closer examination following dismissal from Illinois after a misdemeanor theft conviction.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Exceptional-sized, Illinois transfer with enough physicality to function as a short-area, press corner and contribute on special teams.

Edited by FalconsFan#241

Can't ever have to many DBs lol. Plus all teams play nickel now around 70% plus nowadays. So you need 3 guys who can cover plus a safety. So we know we have 2. RM struggled some, but him or JA might could play some safety. Has some coverage skills and decent tacklers. Would just hope they could cover the deep middle and drop down and cover some along with blitzing.

You can sure spend too much on DBs though haha. Right now TD has spent 7 top 3 picks on DBs in his tenure. Do we really need to make it 8?

Yeah. I think he's borderline second. Just depends on if he or buchannon go first.

But he's a converted safety. Very fast and fluid. Pretty decent tackler. Ran a 4.4 iirc. He's a little light right now. Not small, but not a haha or Pryor sized guy.

Yeah I like him. I like Ward a lot also, but he may not be there and he definitely won't be there in the 3rd.

Well it sounds like his is the guy we should target!

WALT AIKENS, CB

SCHOOL: LIBERTY | CONFERENCE: BSOU

COLLEGE EXPERIENCE: SENIOR | HOMETOWN: CHARLOTTE, NC

HEIGHT/WEIGHT: 6-1 / 203 LBS.

Walt Aikens began his college career at Illinois after being recruited by Clemson and Louisville. As a freshman at Illinois Aikens started five games (at safety), notching 32 tackles and breaking up two passes.

However, he was kicked off the team and out of the school following an arrest and guilty plea (with regards to possessing a computer taken from another dorm room).

He then found himself at Liberty College, where he starred as a cornerback.

Strengths

Outstanding size. Good press strength. Good athletic ability. Can keep stride with receivers down the field and ride the hip pocket in man coverage. Aggressive tackler (though often shoots low) -- led the team in tackles as a senior and is unafraid to mix it up. Takes on blocks with physicality and attacks the run. Adequate production on the ball. Has gunner experience.

Weaknesses

Is tight-hipped and lacks ideal foot speed, which creates separation in man coverage. Average instincts -- can be late to diagnose run-pass reads and locate the ball, is a tick slow to sort out routes and too easily lured by nods and fakes. Often plays into the boundary. Benefits from facing average competition. Character will require closer examination following dismissal from Illinois after a misdemeanor theft conviction.

Draft Projection

Rounds 6-7

Bottom Line

Exceptional-sized, Illinois transfer with enough physicality to function as a short-area, press corner and contribute on special teams.

I couldn't find much tape on this guy. But he looked pretty poor in coverage and not much of a tackler

I couldn't find much tape on this guy. But he looked pretty poor in coverage and not much of a tackler

He wowed people at the Pro-Day for Liberty and at the north and south game. People are talking about a reach for him in the 5th-6th.

Tackling looks ok but nothing to write home about.

Coverage is physical and clean.

Also a tall body at 6-1

I say train him in the NB,FS or #2 spot.

Edited by FalconsFan#241

He wowed people at the Pro-Day for Liberty and at the north and south game. People are talking about a reach for him in the 5th-6th.

Tackling looks ok but nothing to write home about.

Coverage is physical and clean.

Also a tall body at 6-1

as late rounder he wouldn't be bad I just didn't like him over the other guys in my original

I have yet to see any late round guys lol.

If you're talking spending a 3rd or 4th why not just take a FS?

The 4th round is considered a late round, which is why it's on day 3 of the draft. Whether you consider it that or not is up to you. If you want 5th round guys to convert from CB, then you're not going to find obvious guys to do that. Those guys are definitely going to be 3rd or 4th round guys at the least. A few guys I thought we would look at for depth before we picked up JA and others was Bennet Jackson and Aaron Colvin. Walt Aiken was mentioned, and I took a look at him, and he seems like he may be a candidate. Like I said, you aren't going to find to may guys in the 5th or later capable of converting without having a few flaws as well.

Jerick McKinnon would be a great late rd project FS candidate. He looked pretty good in coverage at CB and he's a great athlete. I really think he could be a great FS.

Jerick McKinnon would be a great late rd project FS candidate. He looked pretty good in coverage at CB and he's a great athlete. I really think he could be a great FS.

The 4th round is considered a late round, which is why it's on day 3 of the draft. Whether you consider it that or not is up to you. If you want 5th round guys to convert from CB, then you're not going to find obvious guys to do that. Those guys are definitely going to be 3rd or 4th round guys at the least. A few guys I thought we would look at for depth before we picked up JA and others was Bennet Jackson and Aaron Colvin. Walt Aiken was mentioned, and I took a look at him, and he seems like he may be a candidate. Like I said, you aren't going to find to may guys in the 5th or later capable of converting without having a few flaws as well.

In this draft there is still a lot of talent in the 4th is my point. Theres no reason to draft a "converted CB" when there are solid FSs on the board.

Reynolds, Bailey, Ladler, Huff, and Boston could all be there in the 4th. Why pass over these guys for a CB that MIGHT transfer over.

The 5th round is really where you stop getting "close to" sure things at FS and I could see the value in converting a CB.