1980 Falcons - Still One Of The Best

I don't want to be a hater here, and I don't know all that went wrong, but if they were " some of the best", they should have had more than one great season in that time span. They had the same core on offense for 4-5 seasons.

The '80 team was right in the middle of the Leeman Bennett era 77-82. The only Falcon coach with a winning record besides Mora and Smith.

I remember that game when I was ten years old... After that game, I got very sick for a week!!! Never forgot that pain...

Same here. That game was heartbreaking. I think I recall hearing that Jeff Van Note (Center) commented that the coaching staff instructed the team to play prevent defense during early 4th quarter of Dallas game. He was resentful about this decision, I believe, for changing the pace (He wanted keep the aggresive attack mode going.

I don't want to be a hater here, and I don't know all that went wrong, but if they were " some of the best", they should have had more than one great season in that time span. They had the same core on offense for 4-5 seasons.

I agree. Read up on what happened after that great season. The following is a portion of an article on what transpired afterward:

"Bartkowski [ QB ] wanted to believe better days could be ahead, but he knew better. "Being the realist, I said, ‘Man, we just lost our best chance to win a ring,'" he said.

In that moment, everything seemed to change. A game that could have helped the Falcons capture the city and establish themselves in the NFL instead caused a downward spiral. In the offseason, management turned over much of the roster and, in the process, lost several players who had been integral to the team's rise.

Yeah...great team but it ended in absolute heartbreak. When Staubach got knocked out of the game and Danny White came in.....I think everyone thought we had it in the bag. NOPE

Yep got to love that they won the Western Division. I could never understand a team so far East in the Western Division.

I was so upset when they tossed a penalty flag on the play when they knocked out Staubach. I felt then that Dallas would win the game. I just knew that the Cowboys were the team the refs wanted to win and they found a way to do it. That drive they kept alive on that 3rd down play resulted in a TD that the Falcons couldn't overcome. To this day I still say it was just a good hit on the QB.

Yep got to love that they won the Western Division. I could never understand a team so far East in the Western Division.

I was so upset when they tossed a penalty flag on the play when they knocked out Staubach. I felt then that Dallas would win the game. I just knew that the Cowboys were the team the refs wanted to win and they found a way to do it. That drive they kept alive on that 3rd down play resulted in a TD that the Falcons couldn't overcome. To this day I still say it was just a good hit on the QB.

High Impact, You and me both brother, on that damX Staubach Penalty. That call against us was pure BS. That was a devastating but absolutely clean hit. To this day, I wish Staubach had remained in the game to the end. You are the first poster I have come across who has expressed the same sentiments that I felt and still feel to this day as a long-standing fan.

Thanks for posting. Good input, Bro.