Terrance West

MayorWest13

After looking at Terrance West more I think more of you should be excited if we choose to pick him up. Great at finding that endzone which is something we need.

Two-time first-team All-Colonial Athletic Association selection (2012-13). 2013: Walter Payton Award finalist (as top FCS player) and CAA Offensive Player of the Year. Started in all 16 games for a Towson team that lost in the FCS Championship Game to North Dakota State. Led FCS in rushing yards (2,519) and touchdowns (41). 2012: Played in 10 games and made six starts. Suffered knee injury against Delaware and did not start the rest of the season. 2011: Was a second-team FCS All-American pick and a first-team All-ECAC selection. Won Jerry Rice Award as top freshman in FCS and was named Eastern College Athletic Conference Offensive Rookie of the Year. Played in 11 games but did not start.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Equipped to run between the tackles and withstand a pounding. Good vision -- reads and cuts off blocks. Runs with attitude and power -- stays behind his pads, churns out yards after contact and finishes runs. Opens up his stride in space and has competitive speed to break long runs. Rare production. Bore a heavy workload and thrived with a lather. Has a nose for the goal line -- 83 rushing TDs in three seasons.

WEAKNESSES

Lacks elite timed speed. Average initial quickness and elusiveness. Tight hips. Can be more cognizant of ball security -- tends to swing the ball away from his body and fumbled five times as a junior. Needs to polish his third-down skills, including route running and pass-protection awareness. Running style and college workload do not lend to longevity -- tread is worn down from 780 carries in three seasons.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 3-4

BOTTOM LINE

Good-sized, compactly built, highly productive, physical workhorse and program-changer who took Towson to new heights while dominating inferior competition. Has the chops to factor prominently in a power-running scheme, showing the ability to slash and cut, run over defenders and contribute as a receiver.

2013 FCS Awards - Terrance West Interview

2013 Terrance West Highlights Part 1

Terrance West 2013 Highlights Pt 2

Combine Workout

My only thing is people have been saying 3rd round for him. Ehh. 4th comp and down? Absolutely, go get him.

Our 3rd is almost a low 2nd. We can't afford a RB, especially when there are probably better ones on the board.

http://www.washingto...16a3_story.html

Long before he ran into the record books on the football field, when it seemed every direction he turned led to another letdown, Towson junior running back Terrance West was working at a mall in Baltimore.

He rushed for more than 4,700 yards during a prolific career at Northwestern High in Baltimore, but low SAT scores forced him to spend a year at Fork Union Military Academy in 2010. Clemson showed interest in him at one point but never offered a scholarship. He lined up a chance to walk on at Maryland, but that fell through when Ralph Friedgen was fired and new Coach Randy Edsall did not call back. He even tried to walk on at Morgan State, but there was a paperwork issue.

With few options left, and a 3-year-old son sitting at home in West Baltimore, West went to a nearby Jimmy Jazz clothing store and applied for a job.

“I was selling shoes,” he said walking toward the locker room at Towson’s Johnny Unitas Stadium after practice this week, a parade of interviews nearly complete. “I’m like the only one from my area that’s doing something positive and it’s crazy. I could have gotten distracted, but I had a goal and I had a vision. I was still working out.”

Looking back, West, who leads all of college football with 2,295 rushing yards this season, can talk wistfully about how the disappointments shaped his career now that it all worked out.

The 5-foot-11, 223-pound tailback finally landed a walk-on spot at Towson before the 2011 season. Last week, he made national headlines when he rushed for a Football Championship Subdivision playoff record 354 yards and five touchdowns in a 49-39 win over Eastern Illinois. As a result, the seventh-seeded Tigers (12-2) advanced to the FCS semifinals for the first time in school history and will face No. 3 seed Eastern Washington (12-2) Saturday afternoon.

The emergence of West mirrors the rejuvenation of an entire program. The year before he arrived on campus, the Tigers sported a 1-10 record and hadn’t won more than three games since 2006.

Still, the time spent looking for a team left West hungry to prove he belonged. He continued to live with his mother and son in Baltimore, so he would take two buses every morning in order to make 5 a.m. spring practices. The public transportation schedule meant West usually arrived at Towson an hour early, before Coach Rob Ambrose had even unlocked the team facility.

His impact on the field, though, was almost immediate. After sitting out the first game of the 2011 season, West rushed for 1,294 yards and won the Jerry Rice Award as the best freshman at the FCS level. He racked up another 1,046 yards last year.

But this season, West outperformed even his wildest expectations. He has rushed for more than 100 yards in all but three games, and eclipsed 200 yards four times. Last week, when he averaged 9.1 yards per carry, he had three runs that went for at least 37 yards and churned out 12 of Towson’s 26 first downs with his legs.

“I really was just taking it play by play,” West said. “After the game, they told me the stats, I was like, ‘Wow.’ That’s when it really hit me.”

West’s outburst, both last week and this season, has drawn the attention of pro scouts and some have called him the best FCS running back prospect since former Philadelphia Eagles star Brian Westbrook (DeMatha).

Ambrose, a former Towson wide receiver who has become a trendy name in the college football world after orchestrating the program’s resurgence, noted this week, “Two of the most commonly asked questions this season [are], ‘Is Terrance going to the NFL?’ and, ‘Am I going to be here after the season?’ ”

“I compare him real closely to [former Virginia Tech running back] Ryan Williams,” said senior linebacker Telvion Clark, who came to Towson after being dismissed from the Hokies’ football program in the spring of 2012. “He’s a much bigger back, but he has those feet like a little back would. He’s really smart and instinctive with the football.”

West dismissed any inquiries into whether he might forgo his final year at Towson to enter the 2014 NFL draft, telling reporters, “Ask me that question when we win a national championship.”

But he continues to be overlooked to a certain extent. On Monday, West finished third in voting for the Walter Payton Award — given annually to the FCS’s top offensive player. Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo won the award just two days after losing to Towson in the playoffs.

Voting was conducted before West’s record-setting performance, and he shrugged off the snub, saying he would be more upset if Towson hadn’t won the game.

“Moments like this are gonna last forever,” he said.

And it sure beats selling shoes.

“Terrance doesn’t need a trophy to tell him he’s the best player in the country,” Ambrose said. “We know he is.”

Guest King Jigsaw

The only thing that worries me is how much tread has been run off his tires already. Look at Arian Foster and what happened to him when he got run down.

I'd happily take West with our third rounder......I personally don't foresee there being in quality pass rushers or surefire immediate starters at OT on the board when we our third round pick comes around.

The only pause I would have in pulling the trigger for West would if Deone Buchannon is on the board...I don't think he will be on the board when we pick in the 4th. I also believe he is the in the last of the top two tiers of safeties in the draft ( Clinton-Dix, Ward, Buchannon----Personally I have some issues with Pryor). I do like Brooks and Dion Bailey a great deal, in terms of what they bring value wise and I feel we should be able to get one of them with our 4th.

All that to say, again, I'm good with West in the third. Happily. And I would dance my happy *** all the way from Mableton to Decatur if we could somehow have our draft go 1.Greg Robinson/ 2. Marcus Smith/ 3. Terrance West/ 4. Dion Bailey/ 4. Justin Ellis/ 5. Preston Brown

The CBA is going to need amendment for a rookie RB premium. It is kind of unfair that they have 3-4 years under rookie pay and only 1 real $ contract chance. Then they are "approaching 30" and teams avoid them.

Plus the fact RBs are not getting drafted in the 1st rd anymore, it seems like everyone considers them throw away replacements every 4-6 years.

Almost every other position a guy can expect at least 2 big $ contracts before he wears out. And the top QBs can hang for 10-15 years.