Report: Wal-Mart Costs Tax Payers 6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

cnasty

As am I, still won't work for free. Your skills are you biggest wealth building tool you have, I don't give it away for free.

But if you do, that's your choice, you shouldn't make your choice the standard for everyone.

40 hour work week.

Being exempt from being paid overtime is a characteristic of being a salaried employee.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being exempt from being paid overtime is a characteristic of being a salaried employee.

I had this choice before. I did the math and found that working hourly paid better than a salary. The only consequence is that people view you as a lowly hourly worker.

As am I, still won't work for free. Your skills are you biggest wealth building tool you have, I don't give it away for free.

But if you do, that's your choice, you shouldn't make your choice the standard for everyone.

40 hour work week.

Are you in IT? I know of no IT person in finances that doesn't work more than 40 hours... At least ones moving in their career.

I think bad luck is the norm. We have no control over the people to whom we are born, and your parents are, by far, the biggest indicator of future success. I am grateful every day that I was born to two loving parents who stayed happily married, and valued education, discipline, and compassion. I often wonder who I would be had I been born to a single mother living in poverty.

I also think you're discounting the effects of the job market.

We do have control over who WE are though. Doesn't take any kind of living conditions, love, etc to come to the realization that you want to better yourself and be better than the circumstances you are in. I was born to one loving parent who had to work all the time to make ends meet. Didn't meet my father until I was 20 and today, I wish I hadn't met him at all.

While we weren't in poverty, it was extremely tough but Mom worked 3 jobs at times to make ends meet. When I was 16, I went to work and insisted on paying my own way through college and all my vehicle costs so she wouldn't be burdened with it. Had she not worked, I'm pretty sure I'd have worked just to get the **** out of there.

We lived in apartments in the not so hot parts of town and saw plenty of the "wrong kind" growing up. There's no grand revelation, it's really just common sense...

We do have control over who WE are though. Doesn't take any kind of living conditions, love, etc to come to the realization that you want to better yourself and be better than the circumstances you are in. I was born to one loving parent who had to work all the time to make ends meet. Didn't meet my father until I was 20 and today, I wish I hadn't met him at all.

While we weren't in poverty, it was extremely tough but Mom worked 3 jobs at times to make ends meet. When I was 16, I went to work and insisted on paying my own way through college and all my vehicle costs so she wouldn't be burdened with it. Had she not worked, I'm pretty sure I'd have worked just to get the **** out of there.

We lived in apartments in the not so hot parts of town and saw plenty of the "wrong kind" growing up. There's no grand revelation, it's really just common sense...

Now, imagine that scenario, but with your Mom as a loser.

Can anyone explain retailers like Costco, who pay their employees an average of 40% more than competitors as well as good benefits, and Trader Joes, the starting pay for full time employees is 40-60,000 dollars. I have never shopped Costco, but I shop trader Joes often. They are swarming with employees while I am there so I know they aren't running bare bones.Their workers are beyond friendly and helpful. And I never got the people who say they are expensive. They are no more than any other store so far as I have seen. I mean, if you by specialty or pre prepared, sure. Same as everywhere.

My point is, these retailers treat employees with dignity AND their customers with care and they are not going bankrupt, draining the government of welfare or selling 10 dollar loaves of bread. Whats up with that?

And minimum is different in a rural area with 500 people vs ATL... It depends on where you live. It should be up to state and local government to do not the federal... Rent in small town USA vs large town.. Are you sure you are going to be okay with the unintended consequences of this...

This is a point that is very under-appreciated. I don't agree with simply leaving it up to states and local governments. That would simply incentivize businesses to move to states that have the lowest minimum wage, generally. However, indexing the minimum wage to the cost of living makes a lot of sense for all the reasons that you mentioned.

This is a point that is very under-appreciated. I don't agree with simply leaving it up to states and local governments. That would simply incentivize businesses to move to states that have the lowest minimum wage, generally. However, indexing the minimum wage to the cost of living makes a lot of sense for all the reasons that you mentioned.

They already do this to some extent, but there are resources available in certain areas that are more appealing even if it costs more to operate. Fort Mill SC is right next to Charlotte and they benefit heavily being connected to us. As does Union, concord, huntersville ect.. so there is more to it than that... I dont care what my costs are I cant move to podunk rural nowhere if I want to start an IT company, but I could if I wanted to house some sort of low wage factory type work.

I still prefer state and local due to the horrible side effects of federal wage increase...

New york, New york will impact surrounding area prices (as they should), but the further you get away, the less minimum wage should be relative to an area.

Then who is going to do these jobs?

The next guy in line. The sad truth is, the number of people who can just do basic service jobs is growing and growing and growing each day. It is not Walmarts fault - if anything they serve as a warning - and by looking at US demographics, I really doubt that the growth of uneducated labor will ever slow down. Walmart just operates with those parameters... if you don´t like those then I would suggest you do something against it, which is a topic of education, immigrations etc...

The next guy in line. The sad truth is, the number of people who can just do basic service jobs is growing and growing and growing each day. It is not Walmarts fault - if anything they serve as a warning - and by looking at US demographics, I really doubt that the growth of uneducated labor will ever slow down. Walmart just operates with those parameters... if you don´t like those then I would suggest you do something against it, which is a topic of education, immigrations etc...

The percent of the workforce with college degrees has been rising very significantly in the US. So what are you talking about with this "growth of uneducated labor"???

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/06/12/us/across-the-board-growth-in-college-degrees.html?ref=education

The percent of the workforce with college degrees has been rising very significantly in the US. So what are you talking about with this "growth of uneducated labor"???

http://www.nytimes.c...l?ref=education

You are telling me that all those illegal aliens soon to be amnestied have a college degree? It is nice to see that 40% of white people in that age group now have a college degree, but that is the demosgraphic that is becoming less and less significant. Those who grow exponentional in numbers are stuck on a way lower numbers (Hispanics 11% in 1980s, 14% now... but in total numbers they went from 14 million to over 50 million, more than 350% more... you do the math... but hey, they vote 75% for the democrats, hurrah), they simply outgrow their growth in better education.

Growth in America these days means growth in future people on food stamps, who really never had any other plans.

Edited by Herr Beast

You are telling me that all those illegal aliens soon to be amnestied have a college degree? It is nice to see that 40% of white people in that age group now have a college degree, but that is the demosgraphic that is becoming less and less significant. Those who grow expanationally in numbers are stuck on a way lower numbers (Hispanics 11% in 1980s, 14% now), they simply outgrow their growth in better education.

Growth in America these days means growth in future people on food stamps, who really never had any other plans.

And yet the percent with college degrees keep rising. If people without degrees "grow exponentially [sic]" relative to those with degrees, then that graph would have a downward slope. The facts don't fit your story.

And yet the percent with college degrees keep rising. If people without degrees "grow exponentially [sic]" relative to those with degrees, then that graph would have a downward slope. The facts don't fit your story.

What is the breakdown of the majors in these degrees?

There is a difference between educated and useful.

Dummy

If a demographic that has a way lower percentage of a college degree is growing exponential, it will slow down (currently) or even reduce (in the future) the overall rate.

Just do the math on your voters (means Hispanics):

• 1980: 12 Million population, 89% had no college degree, means over 10.5 million people with no college degree
  • Today: 50 million population, 86% had no college degree, means 43 million with no college degree

Means 33 million more potential employees for Walmart. No matter how you spin it, this continious growth of uneducated people will never be compensated anymore (especially not by the stagnant part of the population) based on the current trend demographically. And heck, I am not even sure of those numbers include the illegal aliens or not.

But sure the voter base for the democrats will not stop growing. Which of course in return will spur even more growth of uneducated people. One hand washes the other. It is the same ugly game in most western countries, the fundament of the society is eaten away for... votes.

Edited by Herr Beast

Dummy

If a demographic that has a way lower percentage of a college degree is growing exponential, it will slow down or even reduce the overall growth.

Just do the math on your voters (means Hispanics):

• 1980: 12 Million population, 89% had no college degree, means over 10.5 million people with no college degree
  • Today: 50 million population, 14% had no college degree, means 43 million with no college degree

giphy.gif

So you are denying that there are over 30 million Hispanics more living in the US than in 1980 without a college degree?

How many millions more people are living in the US than in 1980 who have a college degree? Because again, the overall labor force in the US has become a lot more educated over the past 40 years.

Also, I was laughing at the hilarity of you calling me "dummy" followed by a pretty egregious math mistake (which you later edited). You have to admit, that was funny.

How many millions more people are living in the US than in 1980 who have a college degree? Because again, the overall labor force in the US has become a lot more educated over the past 40 years.

Also, I was laughing at the hilarity of you calling me "dummy" followed by a pretty egregious math mistake (which you later edited). You have to admit, that was funny.

A Fraudian slip does not change the truth. This thread is about Walmart and its employees (which in majority seem to be Hispanics). I argued that the number standing in line for a job at Walmart is growing by each day. I think I provided enough evidance where those people come from in exponentional numbers. As long as number one growing demographic in the US has just 1/3 rate of college degree of the average US citizens, there will be no shortage of people working for $7/h or less (and even more do not work at all). The market does the rest.

Those are facts. I think most people in the US are fully aware of that.