Report: Wal-Mart Costs Tax Payers 6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

cnasty

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a blast if all the simpleminded among us got their wish and everyone simply "got education" to avoid low paying jobs. Because then everyone would qualify for the higher paying jobs and then employers could simply treat you like a warm body who they can replace on a whim, you know, the way they now treat low wage workers. and you could then take all your diplomas and after you are replaced.... go work at Walmart.

Most people don't quit school because they are too cool for it. Many quit because working for even minimum wage is more important in the short run, when your whole family is struggling for food and rent, than sitting in a class for free.

It would be a blast if all the simpleminded among us got their wish and everyone simply "got education" to avoid low paying jobs. Because then everyone would qualify for the higher paying jobs and then employers could simply treat you like a warm body who they can replace on a whim, you know, the way they now treat low wage workers. and you could then take all your diplomas and after you are replaced.... go work at Walmart.

Most people don't quit school because they are too cool for it. Many quit because working for even minimum wage is more important in the short run, when your whole family is struggling for food and rent, than sitting in a class for free.

Because being a teenage baby daddy is just bad luck! It's not his fault that he has to take any job he can get...

And the fact that Acworth is reveling in the fact that the number of people on food stamps did not exactly double is just hilarious.

The only thing that I'm "reveling" in is the fact that WFW is a mathematical imbecile. Want to criticize Obama? Go for it. All I ask is that you use actual facts and evidence to do so, not make up a bunch of BS.

Also, if you're going to act like a condescending d-bag (like WFW does), then you should at least be able to reason at a level higher than a six year old by knowing something as simple as the meaning of the word "double".

If you qualify for public assistance and work full time that is a huge problem. I know people like to mock these types of jobs but they are needed and we all depend on them. People expect to be checked out quickly, be served their coffee, have stocked grocery stores and get their fast food on the run but no one wants the people that do these jobs to be able to makes ends meet?

They may be low skill jobs but without them our society could not be as fast paced and the rest of us would have issues keep up with our day.

So raise the f'n min wage and pay these people enough to live off of so they are not needing handouts to survive.

And if you scoff at the idea of this type of labor getting paid better, then make your own **** food, grind your own coffee, and stock and store your own supply of groceries while maintaining your own busy life.

So again we have a cycle of non solutions, don't raise the min wage, don't give people handouts, just let them die. How does that work?

I'm not a fan of Walmart, but I think it's interesting that the 'blame' falls upon an employer and not on the people who have chosen to work there, or on those who work there because they lack the education and skill to work somewhere else and earn higher pay. Most people would NOT be earning minimum wage if they had made two simple choices in life: Get an education beyond high school, and wait until they were married to have children.

Median annual earnings of U.S. workers, age 25+, by education, 2011

High school dropout

$20,329

High school graduate

$28,659

Associate degree

$36,853

Bachelor's degree

$49,648

Master's degree

$60,709

http://www.epi.org/p...th-foundations/

Uhh someone has to work these jobs or the rest of us would not be able to be efficient with our time. If you don't think this type of labor deserves enough pay to survive off of then grow your own **** food and stock your own supplies grind and brew your own coffee.

If your job requires a 30 minute introduction then you should not expect to make a living off it for 45 years.

Then who is going to do these jobs? And if it is no one then we all suffer from it. In todays life with everyone else rushing around these types of service jobs are pretty important for the rest of us.

It's bad enough conservatives want to let the unemployed die but now they aren't even willing to help people with actual jobs?

Edited by MAD597

Then who is going to do these jobs? And if it is no one then we all suffer from it. In todays life with everyone else rushing around these types of service jobs are pretty important for the rest of us.

If employers are having a hard time finding a person willing to do these jobs, the pay will rise automatically to draw more interest.

Why are LIberals so passionate about finding ways to keep the poor working at Walmart?

I know next to nothing about Sam Walton but reading those quotes prompted me to learn more.

This is longish, but worth a read:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2002/03/18/319920/

Walton was obviously a shrewd businessman but his words (and some actions) lead me to believe that he did care about his employees and their quality of life but since his death the board has clearly turned away from his core beliefs about workplace culture and instead is concerned solely with profit. Is that accurate?

It seems to me they are getting hated on for being by far the nations largest employer.

It seems to me they are getting hated on for being by far the nations largest employer.

Not really. The issue is that WalMart is being subsidized by the government.

Not really. The issue is that WalMart is being subsidized by the government.

I am sure that McDonalds, Hardees, Burger King, Target, 7-Eleven, and all kinds of other employers are being subsidized by the government too, it's just that none of those have over a million employees in the US alone.

Welfare is not solely a WalMart subsidy.

I think you understand the argument, and are just trying to be obtuse.

I understand it completely. It's this notion that welfare is somehow a subsidy that makes no sense.

So in your opinion, people should receive welfare, but not the ones working minimum wage jobs? I actually agree with that.

-If you have a minimum wage job, you shouldn't qualify for welfare.