2012 49Ers Draft Class

Truth.

According to Pro Football Focus the 49ers have had 266 total OFF/DEF snaps from their '12 draft class. Only LaMichael James, Joe Looney, Darius Fleming currently remain on team

I know it is a commonly held belief that the current 49ers GM Trent Baalke and Head Coach Jim Harbaugh have built an NFC powerhouse through the draft; however, taking a quick look at the way they have drafted, I am not sure if they are so smart after all. Their 2012 draft is basically a lost cause already and apparently James is on the trade block also. Their 2011 draft class doesnt make them look any better. They took Aldon Smith in the 1st and he may end up in jail by the time his contract is up. Collin Kaepernick has legal troubles as well.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that we may not enjoy "missing out" on top talent due to a "Falcon filter" and Dimitroff has a poor reputation around here, but it looks like top NFC teams have had much worse drafts than Dimitroff has put together.

You dont know what youve got til its gone? I dont think we appreciate Dimitroff enough.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They hit hard in 2011 with Kaep and Smith, but they are living off prior players. Bowman was 2010. Alex Smith was 2005. Willis was 07. Harbaugh is a great coach and I won't take anything from him, but they benefitted greatly from players they didn't bring in.

The only players from the 3 drafts Baalke and Harbaugh have manned have netted Smith, Kaep, Culliver, Hunter and Reid. TD did that in his first draft alone. Baalke just benefits from a great coach and having a roster built with high draft picks for years. This is also why I don't believe having more picks is a better thing.

No TD has been a terrible drafter for 6 years, trying to spin another team's two years worth of drafts is ridiculous

His oline picks have sucked but he's done decent with other picks.

Walker & Lofton may not be on the team but they are starters in the league.

His drafts haven't been great but they haven been as horrible as you make it sound.

His oline picks have sucked but he's done decent with other picks.

Walker & Lofton may not be on the team but they are starters in the league.

His drafts haven't been great but they haven been as horrible as you make it sound.

You just named 2 good players out of 6 drafts. I'll give you Ryan, Julio, Moore, and Trufant. So now we average one good player every draft.

Throw in horrible FA signings like Edwards, Tatupu, Von Hutchins, and Jackson and that's what makes us a lot worse than other teams.

No TD has been a terrible drafter for 6 years, trying to spin another team's two years worth of drafts is ridiculous

Are you being sarcastic? I cant tell.

If you arent, think about this.

In the past 6 years, the 49ers have taken

2008 NFL Draft[edit]

Round Pick # Overall Name Position College 1 29 29 Kentwan Balmer Defensive Tackle North Carolina 2 8 39 Chilo Rachal Guard Southern California 3 12 75 Reggie Smith Safety Oklahoma 4 8 107 Cody Wallace Center Texas A&M 6 8 174 Josh Morgan Wide Receiver Virginia Tech 7 7 214 Larry Grant Linebacker Ohio State

Ugly draft

2009 NFL Draft[edit]

Round Pick # Overall Name Position College 1 10 10 Michael Crabtree Wide Receiver Texas Tech 3 10 74 Glen Coffee Running Back Alabama 5 10 146 Scott McKillop Linebacker Pittsburgh 5 35 171 Nate Davis Quarterback Ball State 6 11 184 Bear Pascoe Tight End Fresno State 7 10 219 Curtis Taylor Safety Louisiana State 7 35 244 Ricky Jean-Francois Defensive End

Louisiana State

Michael Crabtree and ugly

2010 NFL Draft[edit]

Round Pick # Overall Name Position College 1 11 11 Anthony Davis Offensive Tackle Rutgers 1 17 17 Mike Iupati Guard Idaho 2 17 49 Taylor Mays Safety Southern California 3 27 91 NaVorro Bowman Linebacker Penn State 6 4 173 Anthony Dixon Running Back Mississippi State 6 13 182 Nate Byham Tight End Pittsburgh 6 37 206 Kyle Williams Wide Receiver Arizona State 7 17 224 Phillip Adams Cornerback South Carolina State

Davis hasnt really lived up to 11th overall. Mays was a whiff. Iupati has basically played up to his #17 draft rank. And Bowman was a good pick. The rest is nothing special.

Then you get to the 2011, 2012, and 2013 draft classes under current GM Baalke. 2013 is too soon to tell, and 2011 and 2012 both kinda sucked. Kaep and Smith were nice, but as I said legal problems and jail time could be in their future. Not saying they were bad players at all, but just that all those calling for Dimitroff to "take risks" may be misguided.

You just named 2 good players out of 6 drafts. I'll give you Ryan, Julio, Moore, and Trufant. So now we average one good player every draft.

Throw in horrible FA signings like Edwards, Tatupu, Von Hutchins, and Jackson and that's what makes us a lot worse than other teams.

Ryan, Lofton, HD (better than AJ Jenkins, who they took in the first), Decoud (he did have a PB), Biermann (compare him to Baalke's 5th rounders), Chevis Jackson (produced as a rookie), Baker (injury woes but solid when healthy), Moore, Walker, Spoon, Peters, Hawley (starting center who was coveted to start elsewhere just last month), Julio, Rodgers, Bosher, Trufant.

Compare TD's drafts to Baalkes. His whole 2012 is a miss. The entire thing if they move James, who they seem to have given up on. At least TD found Moore, Owens, Reynolds, Middleton and Walker in his "worst class". Yes, Owens is still in the league, Middleton started for the Jags before having injury issues, Reynolds started for us and Walker was a good player for a 7th rounder. You can't say a single thing for Baalke's 2012 class.

In 2011, Baalke added Smith and Kaep, two great picks. Culliver is a solid corner and Hunter gives them good carries. Good class. 2013 is unproven, with Reid being the only player. Lattimore and Carradine will play this year, Lemonier was decent, McDonald didn't do much of anything and the rest are just bodies. They don't even trust Quinton Patton to play.

They had a prety sick draft last year. I'm interested to see how Carradine and Patton will do. I think Patton is severely underrated. And they have like 6 picks in the top 100 of the draft so yeah i think their GM is doing a dang good job. TD has done a good job here too, but i think its silly to talk down Baalke

S Eric Reid

DE Tank Carradine (IR all season)

TE Vance McDonald

DE Corey Lemonier

WR Quinton Patton

RB Marcus Lattimore (IR all season)

Edited by Clark Kent™

They had a prety sick draft last year. I'm interested to see how Carradine and Patton will do. I think Patton is severely underrated. And they have like 6 picks in the top 100 of the draft so yeah i think their GM is doing a dang good job. TD has done a good job here too, but i think its silly to talk down Baalke

S Eric Reid

TE Vance McDonald

DE Corey Lemonier

WR Quinton Patton

If we had a draft where two players spent the season on IR this place would go livid and ask for everyone's head in Flowery Branch.

If we had a draft where two players spent the season on IR this place would go livid and ask for everyone's head in Flowery Branch.

Yeah the Carradine pick maybe because he was a 2nd rounder, but i guarantee not many would have cried about getting Lattimore in the 4th round last year. But thats just another reason why Carradine was a fine pick for them. They had the ability to sit him for a year to make sure he would be 100% ready.

Edited by Clark Kent™

S Eric Reid

TE Vance McDonald

DE Corey Lemonier

WR Quinton Patton

I have no clue what they are doing with Patton. They just brought Lloyd in, only to further stunt Patton's growth. But when looking at his 2011 and 2012 drafts, I don't think it's farfetched to say Baalke has struggled outside of Kaep and Smith.

I don't think Carradine is going to amount to much. I wasn't a fan of his coming out. But Reid is a stud. Lattimore should be steady at the least. Lemonier is a 6-8 sack type guy. But it depends on Carradine and Lattimore's return. If they struggle, Baalke is looking at another draft that didn't really live up to expectations.

But this goes to show you how a GM isn't the only piece of the puzzle for team building and how all of them miss. Even the ones with a ton of picks.

How many Super Bowl appearances and playoff wins the Falcons have in the past 3 years compared to the 49ers? Oh yeah, thats right, the guys they draft are kicking our *** on a yearly basis.

Kaep and Smith are the only two they drafted who played in the 2012 NFCCG. Smith was held without a sack. Kaep had a good game. So 1 player on a 53 man roster was impactful and drafted by Baalke in that NFCCG.

Bowman, Willis, Gore, the whole OLine, the whole defense minus Culliver, Vernon Davis. All before Baalke and Harbaugh.

#FactsOnly

I have no clue what they are doing with Patton. They just brought Lloyd in, only to further stunt Patton's growth. But when looking at his 2011 and 2012 drafts, I don't think it's farfetched to say Baalke has struggled outside of Kaep and Smith.

I don't think Carradine is going to amount to much. I wasn't a fan of his coming out. But Reid is a stud. Lattimore should be steady at the least. Lemonier is a 6-8 sack type guy. But it depends on Carradine and Lattimore's return. If they struggle, Baalke is looking at another draft that didn't really live up to expectations.

But this goes to show you how a GM isn't the only piece of the puzzle for team building and how all of them miss. Even the ones with a ton of picks.

I disagree about Carradine. I think he is going to easily justify his 2nd round pick status. He should be a solid 3-4 DE. He was very good at using his long arms last year and holding up at the POA. He had a pro day last year before the draft and even ran like a 4.7-4.8 40 so he was somewhat healthy. I think they just kept him out because he wasn't someone they had to have. We will see, but I think he will be a good player.

I don't get the Patton stuff either. In the preseason Kap was talking him up big time. He threw two TD's to him during the preseason and said something like " the guy is just a good football player. He knows how to get open. I'm excited to have him " . I know he suffered a foot injury and missed some time. We'll see.

I don't think Lattimore is going to be a determing factor of how that draft was. He was a late 4th rd pick. Not a deal breaker. Still early to tell. But as of now on paper i think their draft was one of the best last year. And this year they have all these picks. I think he is doing a good job.

How many Super Bowl appearances and playoff wins the Falcons have in the past 3 years compared to the 49ers? Oh yeah, thats right, the guys they draft are kicking our *** on a yearly basis.

theyre using players from a previous gm. doesnt count. stick around here longer and learn the rules on juding a gm clown!

I think a lot of teams get credit for drafting well when they really havent really drafted all that well.

For instance, the mighty New England Patriots.

In 2008, they had a 1,2, two 3rd's and then a typical draft. They netted Jerrod Mayo in the first and nobody else was a starter.

In 2009 they had four 2nd round picks, 2 3rds, and a 4th. With all those picks they netted one guy that has been a solid starter for them for a while, Sebastian Vollmer.

In 2010, they had a 1st round pick, three 2nd rounders (where do they get all these picks?!?!) and then a typical 3-7 with 3 extra comp 7th's. I will admit that they hit a home run with McCourty in the 1st and Gronk in the 2nd, but again they took risks with another 2nd and wound up with a TE in prison (Hernandez), miss on Jermaine Cunningham, and then had an average 2nd rounder in Brandon Spikes.

In 2011, they once again had a 1st, and multiple 2nd's (33 and 56 overall) along with two 3rd rounders as well, no 4th, two 5th's and 6,7. With all those picks, the great NE Patriots hauled in Nate Solder and Stevan Ridley. They missed on Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen, and Ryan Mallet in the 3rd.

In 2012, they had two 1st rounders and took Chandler Jones, who looks to be pretty decent, and Dont'a Hightower, who has had 43 and 65 tackles as an LB and would considered a bust by our standards. In the 2nd they took Tavon Wilson, who has started 4 games total. Then they got lucky on a 7th rounder in Alfonso Dennard who has become a starter for them.

2013 looked like a pretty good draft for them, but its really too early to tell. hahaha

Overall, the Patriots have been pretty mediocre in the draft.

I think a lot of teams get credit for drafting well when they really havent really drafted all that well.

In 2008, they had a 1,2, two 3rd's and then a typical draft. They netted Jerrod Mayo in the first and nobody else was a starter.

In 2009 they had four 2nd round picks, 2 3rds, and a 4th. With all those picks they netted one guy that has been a solid starter for them for a while, Sebastian Vollmer.

In 2010, they had a 1st round pick, three 2nd rounders (where do they get all these picks?!?!) and then a typical 3-7 with 3 extra comp 7th's. I will admit that they hit a home run with McCourty in the 1st and Gronk in the 2nd, but again they took risks with another 2nd and wound up with a TE in prison (Hernandez), miss on Jermaine Cunningham, and then had an average 2nd rounder in Brandon Spikes.

In 2011, they once again had a 1st, and multiple 2nd's (33 and 56 overall) along with two 3rd rounders as well, no 4th, two 5th's and 6,7. With all those picks, the great NE Patriots hauled in Nate Solder and Stevan Ridley. They missed on Ras-I Dowling, Shane Vereen, and Ryan Mallet in the 3rd.

In 2012, they had two 1st rounders and took Chandler Jones, who looks to be pretty decent, and Dont'a Hightower, who has had 43 and 65 tackles as an LB and would considered a bust by our standards. In the 2nd they took Tavon Wilson, who has started 4 games total. Then they got lucky on a 7th rounder in Alfonso Dennard who has become a starter for them.

2013 looked like a pretty good draft for them, but its really too early to tell. hahaha

The draft is such a crap shoot. You never know what you're gonna get. Look at any draft most of the players drafted never last more than a year or two. What's the average length of an NFL career 3 years?

You're lucky to get one or two starters out of a draft. Get a great player? super lucky. Get an HOF? forget about it.

why do you think that when we have threads about how terrible of drafters we are theres never any context behind them? we are never compared to anybody, just the person thats postings unrealistic expectation of what should have happened

Looking at all of the Patriots drafts with their "Stocked up draft picks" makes me wonder if trading down is a smart move or not. I think trading up may not be as bad as it seems. Or at least staying put.

I was leaning trade down, but I'm thinking Clowney sounds fine now. Go for it Dimitroff!!!

why do you think that when we have threads about how terrible of drafters we are theres never any context behind them? we are never compared to anybody, just the person thats postings unrealistic expectation of what should have happened

That 2009 draft is crazy. Four 2nd rounders, two 3rd's, and a 4th.....and ONE STARTER?!?! We would be crying about that draft for years if it was us. Instead all we hear about is how smart the Pats are.