Mock Draft: No. 1 Bortles, Qbs Too Valuable Now To Underdraft

JBender

Why can't I believe the idea that the Houston Texans will pass on a quarterback?

I just don't buy it ­­no matter how good many of us think South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney will be on the next level.

That's why I will keep Central Florida quarterback Blake Bortles going in the No. 1 spot in next month's draft, despite the growing sentiment that the Texans might be leaning toward Clowney with the top pick. This is mock draft No. 9 for me, with three more to go. Will I change my mind down the road? Maybe. But the quarterback spot is way too valuable, and the Texans don't have one.

I also have three quarterbacks still going in the top 10, even though that is unlikely. That's the premium of the position. I don't buy the falling talk for all these guys. Quarterbacks are overdrafted, not underdrafted.

1. Houston Texans -- Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida: Yes, I am stubborn to keep him here.

2. St. Louis Rams -- Greg Robinson, T, Auburn: He could play right tackle or even guard for a year.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Jadeveon Clowney, DE, Clemson: He might go first, but if he doesn't the Jaguars would be dumb to pass him up.

4. Cleveland Browns -- Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: They would pair him with Josh Gordon for a dynamic 1­2 punch.

5. Oakland Raiders -- Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: They have to get a big-play receiver who can threaten down the field.

6. Atlanta Falcons -- Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: He would give the new-look defense that big­time pass rusher.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: People talk about the Jaguars needing to sell tickets. What about Tampa Bay?

8. Minnesota Vikings -- Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville: He fits with what Norv Turner wants to do on offense.

9. Buffalo Bills -- Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: Their offense lacks that elite tight end to help take the pressure off outside. Ebron could do that.

10. Detroit Lions -- Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: They have to get better outside with their pass coverage.

11. Tennessee Titans --­­ Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: I still think they need to find an edge rusher, even if some say his stock is falling.

12. New York Giants -- Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M: You can never have enough good linemen as the Giants saw last season.

13. St. Louis Rams -- Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama: Range, range and more range. They have to get better on the back end.

14. Chicago Bears -- Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: I will keep him in this spot. It just fits.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers -- Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: He is athletic and can step in when Ike Taylor is done and play some nickel right away.

16. Dallas Cowboys -- Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State: He would be a perfect fit in their defense. And they have a big hole inside on that line.

17. Baltimore Ravens -- Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan: They have problems on the right side. He would fix that. Brandi Cooks could be the kind of outside weapon the Jets badly need. (USATSI)

18. New York Jets -- Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State: They have to get some playmakers outside.

19. Miami Dolphins -- C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama: I will keep him here. They have to get more athletic at linebacker.

20. Arizona Cardinals -- Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville: He could be their Kam Chancellor, a big thumper on the back end.

21. Green Bay Packers -- Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State: Where is the speed on that defense? Shazier has it.

22. Philadelphia Eagles -- Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: With Desean Jackson gone, they have to get speed outside.

23. Kansas City Chiefs -- Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois: He would be a nice match to go with Eric Berry.

24. Cincinnati Bengals -- Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: They need a young player outside with age creeping into the position.

25. San Diego Chargers -- Louis Nix, NT, Notre Dame: They need to get a power player in the middle of their defense.

26. Cleveland -- Justin Verrett, CB, TCU: He would be a nice complement to Joe Haden and if he can't beat out Buster Skrine, he could play the nickel.

27. New Orleans Saints -- Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn: They have to get help for that pass rush.

28. Carolina Panthers -- Morgan Moses, T, Virginia: He can play left tackle as a rookie, which they badly need.

29. New England Patriots -- Ra'Shede Hageman, DT/­DE, Minnesota: He has been compared to Richard Seymour, who they drafted in 2001.

30. San Francisco 49ers -- Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska: They have some concerns on the corner, and this kid is a big, physical player.

31. Denver Broncos -- Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU: They have to get more athletic at linebacker. He could help.

32. Seattle Seahawks -- Marqise Lee, WR, USC: Pete Carroll knows those USC kids and Lee would be a big help to the offense.

http://www.cbssports...w-to-underdraft

Edited by JBender

If I had to put money on the draft I'd put money on the Rams not taking a OT in the 1st. It's not in Fisher's MO. They'll probably go with some combination of Clowney, Watkins, and Pryor. The new Browns regime is also doing nothing that wasn't expected out of the their predecessors, such as signing Ben Tate after a year+ of rumors that they'd get him once he became a free agent. They may be attempting to cover their tracks but I'm 100% positive they're drafting Manziel, most likely trading up to #2 to do it.

Guest King Jigsaw

I don't think TB takes Manziel. Maybe not any QB. They've already announced that McCown is the starter and Glennon is a very good backup so now they have to give him protection and weapons. If Matthews or Robinson fell to 7, they would the pick. They would love for Mike Evans to be there. If all else fails, they'll take Ebron I think.

I don't think TB takes Manziel. Maybe not any QB. They've already announced that McCown is the starter and Glennon is a very good backup so now they have to give him protection and weapons. If Matthews or Robinson fell to 7, they would the pick. They would love for Mike Evans to be there. If all else fails, they'll take Ebron I think.

They won't take a OT. They signed Anthony Collins for that.

Guest King Jigsaw

They won't take a OT. They signed Anthony Collins for that.

They won't take a QB. They signed Luke McCown for that.

See how that game works?

Guest King Jigsaw

Glennon and a 35 year old who had a flash in the pan season. I'd have a lot of confidence in that.

When has anyone asked what you have confidence in? Lovie Smith has confidence in that. The difference being the organization actually cares what Lovie thinks.

I agree.

When has anyone asked what you have confidence in? Lovie Smith has confidence in that. The difference being the organization actually cares what Lovie thinks.

Just saying it's not a wise move on their part to go with them. That said, I don't think they'll draft a QB or OT high. Their sights are most likely on Watkins and Evans.

Guest King Jigsaw

There are more spots for OTs than their are QBs. Drafting a very good tackle when they already have one just makes them deeper. They already have two start-worthy quarterbacks on roster and I consider it doubtful they would draft a third in the first round.

I agree that they will come away with Watkins, Evans, or Ebron which I stated as such in my first post in this thread. I would rule out a QB before an OT though.

QB's have gone no.1 overall 11 times over the last 15 years, DE twice, Mario Williams being the last, then the bust Courtney Brown, I believe Texas gets their QB no. 1 and the Rams have a decision to trade or not at 2.

This got me to look over the drafts since 1998. I decided to include the #2 overall picks as well for comparison sake. I also did not include the 2013 draft. It's too early to tell for them.

QB: 7/12*

DE: 1/2

OT: .5/1**

QB: 2/3***

DE: 2/2

OT: 0/2

LB: 2/2

OG: 1/1

WR: 1/2

RB: 0/2****

DT: 1/1

*Alex Smith and Sam Bradford can both be effective game managers but that isn't what you want a #1 overall QB to be. Due to that I count them as busts.

**Jake Long was elite until he started suffering injuries, now he's pretty good but not his former self.

***RGIII had a miserable Sophomore year but that is excusable due to him coming off a major knee injury and the situation he was in. He still counts as a hit, at least for now.

****Ronnie Brown and Reggie Bush aren't complete busts but they definitely didn't live up to the pick.