Discussion: Are Teams Built From The Inside Out And Are The Lines On Both Sides Of The Ball A Foundation For All Great Clubs?

MSalmon

Are the Falcons properly fortified on both the defensive and offensive lines?

If not, is a premier pass rusher or safety or any position other than interior DL or OL a greater need?

I think one could argue our DL improved but is it deep enough with Jerry no lock to make roster and peters coming off injury?

OL IMO is...well let's say lacking:)

Your thoughts? How important is building from the inside out?

I'm old school. You win from a position of strength in the trenches. If you can exert your will on the other team at any point, you win. If I was in charge of the draft, my first two picks are an OT in the first and a dlineman in the second. I am not enamored with peria Jerry or 50% of our offensive lineman. I'd rather spend high picks on lineman, for a change and draft bona fide prospects. We have to protect our 120 million investment and we.must collapse the pocket. Two things we failed at miserably last year.

I'm old school. You win from a position of strength in the trenches. If you can exert your will on the other team at any point, you win. If I was in charge of the draft, my first two picks are an OT in the first and a dlineman in the second. I am not enamored with peria Jerry or 50% of our offensive lineman. I'd rather spend high picks on lineman, for a change and draft bona fide prospects. We have to protect our 120 million investment and we.must collapse the pocket. Two things we failed at miserably last year.

See I'm same. I think we need more talent behind Soliali and Jackson as well. If we went all OL and DL in first 4 rounds I'd approve

And on DL I just don't see any edge rusher making a difference without a stout and healthy interior DL whether we run 43, 34 or whatever. Btw we only have one proven 34 DE. Babs was ok, but far from Brett keisel

If you can win the battles in the trenches on each side of the ball, you're on your way to dictating your game plans..

Agree. I think the most important signing the niners ever made was justin smith. Doesn't show up in stat sheets but he sure frees things up for smith (who may be gone soon lol)

I think that the best teams are built from the inside out. I also think that Tommy has finally seen the light.

It is too bad that there is no can't-miss interior lineman in this draft. If there was, I would certainly push for us to take him at #6.

Donald is pretty close for me and I think if Clowney and Mack are gone he should be the pick. An interior pass rusher that runs a 4.6 @ 285 pounds is pretty dang rare.

I think that the best teams are built from the inside out. I also think that Tommy has finally seen the light.

It is too bad that there is no can't-miss interior lineman in this draft. If there was, I would certainly push for us to take him at #6.

Yeah I know. If there was such a guy I think we'd have less proponents of edge rusher. Even Tuitt and hageman have deficiencies. And Donald's size is a concern in a hybrid. Plus he's not a number 6 overall guy.

Honestly I think either Matthews or Lewan would be best pick. Amd believe it or nit maybe Hageman if he slips into second or a small trade up into first.

Other than dee ford I'm not in love with the edge rushers even Clowney--and think a strong I and deep interior DL with guys like Mass and maybe a Marcus Smith in 3rd might be best solution. I say Hageman because we actually don't have a true 34 DE besides Jackson in rotation

Donald is pretty close for me and I think if Clowney and Mack are gone he should be the pick. An interior pass rusher that runs a 4.6 @ 285 pounds is pretty dang rare.

He's interesting to me, because his athleticsm suggests he can do more than just interior DL in nickel or 43 sets. Dint call me crazy but I bet he could okay standing up or on the edge in 43 sets at times, he's that athletic.

He's interesting to me, because his athleticsm suggests he can do more than just interior DL in nickel or 43 sets. Dint call me crazy but I bet he could okay standing up or on the edge in 43 sets at times, he's that athletic.

We'd want him on the interior in our 4-3 sets sandwiched in the middle of Solali and Jackson to negate is size. I'd like to see what he can do lining up on the edge in our 3-4 sets though...possibly a 3-4 ILB too

We'd want him on the interior in our 4-3 sets sandwiched in the middle of Solali and Jackson to negate is size. I'd like to see what he can do lining up on the edge in our 3-4 sets though...possibly a 3-4 ILB too

Yeah definitely. If we got him I'd like to see his athleticsm in a myriad of positions. I have a hard tine seeing him as a 34 DE..

Interior of both sides is critical. It's only 5 or 6 guys total, but you really need them. It at least needs to be good, and being top 5, particularly on D, makes a world of difference.

You can get by with pretty good on O with a good QB and good scheme.

I would have loved to pick up a RT in free agency, and take two front 7 players in the first 2 rounds (likely an edge rusher and a DE who can collapse the pocket)

You hit the nail on the head with a 8lb. Sledge hammer.

Thanks, sir. Hey if we had a stout OL and a deep Interior DL, I'd be all for going for the glamourous edge rusher, but I just think all those years of Abe when we had a cruddy interior DL and how little impact his nice sack totals really made.

Love this thinking! The guy has to be in the top 2 in all of college in TFL with plenty of sacks. Can you say disruptive? I think we can line him up on the edge or move him inside he can be one heckuva player for the falcons and take some pressure off of our other Dlinemen. Our staff saw what he was capable of doing up close and personal at the Sr. Bowl so I think he is definitely a sleeper pick for the falcons. May not happen but if Mack and the other top 3 are gone, how can you be pizzed if you ended up with Donald?

Love this thinking! The guy has to be in the top 2 in all of college in TFL with plenty of sacks. Can you say disruptive? I think we can line him up on the edge or move him inside he can be one heckuva player for the falcons and take some pressure off of our other Dlinemen. Our staff saw what he was capable of doing up close and personal at the Sr. Bowl so I think he is definitely a sleeper pick for the falcons. May not happen but if Mack and the other top 3 are gone, how can you be pizzed if you ended up with Donald?

I wouldn't be angry. With Nolan, at least you know he'd put the kid in a position to succeed. Maybe not the traditional interior DL role he's used to either. He's defintely talented.

I'll admit that I'm biased and want either Robinson, Lewan or Matthews at 6...it's been a long time since the ATL has had a blue chip OT.

Donald

Moses

Marcus Smith

would make me pretty dang happy

Of course I'd love to see a small trade down, but that would just be icing

I think your D-line has to be good and stout .... That makes your D go

I think you need a tough O-Line ..tThe 3 linemn up the middle needs to be stout and keep a clean pocket... they dont have to be the best or most talented ... They just need to be tough and solid .....Where TD kinda went wrong is he tried to get more athletic from the McClures, Dahls, and Clabo .... He thought they were replaceable (and they are) but those dude were tough vet guys.

I think our O-Line under performed for there talent for whatever reason ...

Matt Ryan said the Oline has been in the weight room all off season (julio jones also) busting their butts .... Lets see can guys like Holmes and Konz who has the talent ... Can they get stronger and play tougher under coach tice

I wouldn't be angry. With Nolan, at least you know he'd put the kid in a position to succeed. Maybe not the traditional interior DL role he's used to either. He's defintely talented.

I'll admit that I'm biased and want either Robinson, Lewan or Matthews at 6...it's been a long time since the ATL has had a blue chip OT.

Yep, I think you and I have similar ideas on taking an OT. Rekindle the Mike Kenn days. I will be very disappointed if we trade up though even if that means for my favorite guy in Grob. But at least i am consistent on that. Matthews is a distinct possibility. My favorite players right now are Grob, Mack and Donald... But hey that's just me, an armchair GM.

I think your D-line has to be good and stout .... That makes your D go

I think you need a tough O-Line ..tThe 3 linemn up the middle needs to be stout and keep a clean pocket... they dont have to be the best or most talented ... They just need to be tough and solid .....Where TD kinda went wrong is he tried to get more athletic from the McClures, Dahls, and Clabo .... He thought they were replaceable (and they are) but those dude were tough vet guys.

I think our O-Line under performed for there talent for whatever reason ...

Matt Ryan said the Oline has been in the weight room all off season (julio jones also) busting their butts .... Lets see can guys like Holmes and Konz who has the talent ... Can they get stronger and play tougher under coach tice

Our division rivals are putting together some pretty tough Dlinemen. That's one reason I would like us to counter with some nasty beef on the Oline.

Our division rivals are putting together some pretty tough Dlinemen. That's one reason I would like us to counter with some nasty beef on the Oline.

Lol good point. That and with the signing of Asamoah., and emergence of either Hawley of Konz amd adding a top flight OT were suddenly getting younger and more effective. If Holmes panned out or even carimi and we moved this years guy to LT and one if them at RT, were talking about a youthful OL that could be together for a decade

Lol good point. That and with the signing of Asamoah., and emergence of either Hawley of Konz amd adding a top flight OT were suddenly getting younger and more effective. If Holmes panned out or even carimi and we moved this years guy to LT and one if them at RT, were talking about a youthful OL that could be together for a decade

And.this is generally over looked. We are quietly getting much younger.

I am in the minority, but I am not concerned about the RT position. I think that we have two guys that will compete for the position and I am confident that the winner will do a good job. Carimi is tough (though slow-footed) and Schraeder is a hard working SOB. I also think that Holmes will develop into a good starting LT.

All I want to do is draft another back up OG that can step into Blalock's spot, in time.