What Is So Great About Clowney?

I guarantee you that half of the people on this board obsessed with the Falcons drafting Clowney could not give me one stat, award or physical trait that makes Clowney worth 3 or 4 starters (our #6 pick and the equivalent of what it will take to get him).

His Junior Year stats, of course, were terrible compared to his sophomore year and he was not even an All-American player.

And, in his sophomore year, even with his "superhero" self on the field, the Gamecocks were only a so-so team that was not considered in the national title picture.

Finally, the guy has a big body but he does not have 4 arms or the fastest speed ever seen in a DL.

I challenge all you Clowney-obsessed ones to simply state something that makes him "special". Or, is he simply special because everyone says he is and because he himself thinks he is.

I guarantee you that half of the people on this board obsessed with the Falcons drafting Clowney could not give me one stat, award or physical trait that makes Clowney worth 3 or 4 starters (our #6 pick and the equivalent of what it will take to get him).

His Junior Year stats, of course, were terrible compared to his sophomore year and he was not even an All-American player.

And, in his sophomore year, even with his "superhero" self on the field, the Gamecocks were only a so-so team that was not considered in the national title picture.

Finally, the guy has a big body but he does not have 4 arms or the fastest speed ever seen in a DL.

I challenge all you Clowney-obsessed ones to simply state something that makes him "special". Or, is he simply special because everyone says he is and because he himself thinks he is.

i asked the same question during the season when i had not seen any SC games, then when i had the chance i watched a couple SC games, the first one i watched was against Florida and the dude was a beast. He didn't have a lot of sacks bc he gets double teamed all game long YET he still gets into the back field over and over again while being double teamed. He is one of the most athletic DEs i have ever seen play college ball. Once i watched a couple games to scout Clowney for my self I was sold. College football teams gameplan their whole offense to stay away from Clowney, we need that kind of talent on our defense.

Edited by Miller2Rison

Clowney is the definition of F.o.N his physical attributes are unreal. Seriously who in the h e l l is 272+ lbs and runs a 4.45-4.5? He played for a team in the toughest conference in the nation considered by most people. When watching the Gamecocks you can honestly see teams did not like to play to his side of the field. While on the team the Gamecocks avg 10 wins a year. Last but not least the Michigan game from 2012.

While I am not a Clown fanatic, I would not be opposed to trading up a picking him. As long as we kept this years 2nd rd pick for the BPA at tackle

Edited by BleedBlack&Red

Guest fibonacci

He's so explosive, its scary. I'm not going to try to sell you. I'll say this though, there's a reason every gm is drooling over the guy.

those few sacks last year were down right scary. Wow. No one had ever done that. Maybe JA98 did.

those few sacks last year were down right scary. Wow. No one had ever done that. Maybe JA98 did.

You're basing that fully on stats. His "down" year just proved one thing to me, and NFL talent evaluators, he made everyone else better. The offense was so worried about Clowney that they devoted 2-3 guys to him on almost every play. In addition, they stayed as far away as they could, focusing most of the run game to the other side.

If you grab a guy like Clowney, he instantly changes they way opposing offenses play us. In fact, expect the DE on the other side to see a spike in stats. With a real pass rusher and some pressure from the DTs, our secondary gets better.

like I said, there's no point in me convincing you. The NFL level talent evaluators agree with me. They aren't obsessed with him because TATF or ESPN told them to be. They studied the guy.

Guest fibonacci

You're basing that fully on stats. His "down" year just proved one thing to me, and NFL talent evaluators, he made everyone else better. The offense was so worried about Clowney that they devoted 2-3 guys to him on almost every play. In addition, they stayed as far away as they could, focusing most of the run game to the other side.

If you grab a guy like Clowney, he instantly changes they way opposing offenses play us. In fact, expect the DE on the other side to see a spike in stats. With a real pass rusher and some pressure from the DTs, our secondary gets better.

like I said, there's no point in me convincing you. The NFL level talent evaluators agree with me. They aren't obsessed with him because TATF or ESPN told them to be. They studied the guy.

check your pm