If We Take An Ot 1St, Then I Am Liking Van Noy A Little More

I watched 3 games thus far.

There are some things I really, really like.

-He plays with ugency. I didn't see him take a lot of plays off.

-He pursuit is excellent. He will track down runners from the backside all day long.

-I completely disagree with the combine write up of Van Noy. They said he has "average" instincts. That couldn't be further from the truth. I saw dozens of plays where Kyle would take a pursuit angle that only a player with excellent instincts could diagnos. Even on plays where he is blocked he he will peel off and get the ball carrier. He has great instincts for the ball and getting to it at all costs.

There are alot of things to like about Van Noy. I think he might be a 1st rounder if he were 1 inch taller and 10 lbs heavier.

The write from the combine participants on NFL.com says "average instincts". Totally off base in my opinion.

STRENGTHS: Quick, instinctive linebacker with excellent reaction skills. Athletic enough in coverage, showing balance and change of direction. Locates the ball quickly and provides good effort in pursuit. Impressed at the Senior Bowl with his fluidity and instincts in coverage by closing quickly to bat away multiple passes during practices.

Shows excellent play recognition, taking on blockers with the correct shoulder (allowing him to slide off would-be blockers and into ballcarriers easily) and is equally effective slipping into coverage or sliding past offensive linemen on his way toward a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

Surprised many coaches and teammates by returning for senior season, then battled through late-season injury to stay on the field and serve as the defense's leader.

WEAKNESSES: Not an elite athlete overall. A bit slow to 'shoot his gun' when ballcarriers are running at him and relies too much on a simple bull-rush when coming off the edge. Wasn't as disruptive as a senior, in part due to opponents game-planning to avoid him. However, he was also without 2013 first-round pick DL Ziggy Ansah occupying blockers in front of him.

Relies on instincts and efficiency, rather than physicality. Beats blockers to the action, rather than taking them on shedding violently and isn't an explosive tackler. Projects best as a traditional outside linebacker in the 4-3 alignment because of this lack of take-on mentality, though he has shown the ability to get to the quarterback.

Compares To: Chad Greenway, Vikings - Greenway might just be the best all-around outside linebacker in the NFL, and comparing any rookie to him is therefore hyperbole. Van Noy plays with similar instincts and efficiency, however, making plays behind the line of scrimmage as well as dropping back into coverage with impressive consistency. He isn't flashy or physically dominant, but ranks among the safer prospects in the 2014 draft.

I live in provo ut. Watch him play a lot and im a huge fan. I love Kyle's instincts and his playmaking ability (in college) I just dont know if his athleticism and frame can transition to the nfl. I think our bigger need is TE maybe safety. I would like to see our rd 2 pick the one that we trade up from but not for van noy

STRENGTHS: Quick, instinctive linebacker with excellent reaction skills. Athletic enough in coverage, showing balance and change of direction. Locates the ball quickly and provides good effort in pursuit. Impressed at the Senior Bowl with his fluidity and instincts in coverage by closing quickly to bat away multiple passes during practices.

Shows excellent play recognition, taking on blockers with the correct shoulder (allowing him to slide off would-be blockers and into ballcarriers easily) and is equally effective slipping into coverage or sliding past offensive linemen on his way toward a tackle behind the line of scrimmage.

Surprised many coaches and teammates by returning for senior season, then battled through late-season injury to stay on the field and serve as the defense's leader.

WEAKNESSES: Not an elite athlete overall. A bit slow to 'shoot his gun' when ballcarriers are running at him and relies too much on a simple bull-rush when coming off the edge. Wasn't as disruptive as a senior, in part due to opponents game-planning to avoid him. However, he was also without 2013 first-round pick DL Ziggy Ansah occupying blockers in front of him.

Relies on instincts and efficiency, rather than physicality. Beats blockers to the action, rather than taking them on shedding violently and isn't an explosive tackler. Projects best as a traditional outside linebacker in the 4-3 alignment because of this lack of take-on mentality, though he has shown the ability to get to the quarterback.

Compares To: Chad Greenway, Vikings - Greenway might just be the best all-around outside linebacker in the NFL, and comparing any rookie to him is therefore hyperbole. Van Noy plays with similar instincts and efficiency, however, making plays behind the line of scrimmage as well as dropping back into coverage with impressive consistency. He isn't flashy or physically dominant, but ranks among the safer prospects in the 2014 draft.

This is what I saw when I watched him. He is not an edge rusher at the next level. He can be a pretty good 4-3 OLB but that is not what we need.

We aren't looking at the same thing. Look under weaknesses here. Again, I disagree with. I see above average instincts.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Kyle-Van%20Noy?id=2543699&id=2543699

This is what I saw when I watched him. He is not an edge rusher at the next level. He can be a pretty good 4-3 OLB but that is not what we need.

He played in 52 games and had over 80 plays behind the LOS. That doesn't necessarily mean he is a great edge rusher I know, but it clearly shows an ability to get in the backfield which is ultimately what we are taking about

This.

I think Van Noy is an awesome all around OLB, but he probably won't solve our pass rush problems. He is going to be a very solid player for whoever gets him.

doesn't look like the OLB that ATL needs, from the games i watched and the analysis i have read. if Attaochu is on the board and the Falcons select Van Noy, i will be disappointed.

100%. Attaochu is my favorite player in the draft, period. I think we are going to have trade back into the 1st to get him, but you never know.