Scouting Director: 2014 Dl Class 'worst I've Seen In A Long Time'

67camaro

Jadeveon Clowney is far from the only defensive lineman in the 2014 NFL Draft an NFC scouting director doesn't hold in high regard.

The scouting director, who directed harsh criticism toward Clowney, doesn't see much to like in the entire class of defensive linemen this year.

"It's a bad year," he said, according to nj.com. "It's the worst group I've seen in a long time."

The consensus among evaluators seems to be that there is a big dropoff at defensive end after Clowney -- NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah ranks Clowney No. 1 in his list of the draft's top 50 prospects, and the second-highest ranked defensive end is Missouri's Kony Ealy, all the way down at No. 31. Not far behind Ealy among defensive ends are Auburn's Dee Ford (No. 33) and Notre Dame's Stephon Tuitt (No. 34).

As for the top interior defensive linemen this year, Pitt's Aaron Donald ranks 14th, Florida State's Timmy Jernigan ranks 18th, Notre Dame's Louis Nix ranks 28th and Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman ranks 30th on Jeremiah's list.

The nj.com story quoted the NFC scouting director as well as an NFC scout an an AFC personnel executive on several of this year's top DL prospects, and Clowney wasn't the only one that received the "lazy" label. Here's a look at some of their comments:

Stephon Tuitt

NFC scouting director: "Lazy. He's an underachiever. I would just say no."

AFC personnel executive: "I think he's better as a 3-4 end, than a 4-3 tackle. He has the size and build for it. But there were games where he just didn't do anything."

Kony Ealy

NFC scouting director: "He's got good size. He's big, fast, strong. There's a lot to work with there. Could he be a 3-4 linebacker? Yeah, he could, but I think he's a 4-3 end. He's a late first-round pick for sure."

Louis Nix

AFC personnel executive: "Classic nose tackle. He reminds me of (Packers NT) B.J. Raji. You put some people around him and he could make an impact."

NFC scout: "I don't see much there. He's not for us."

Aaron Donald

NFC scouting director: "I don't know about this guy. You look at him, and he's too small. But then you watch him and all he does is produce. I'm torn on him."

Ra'Shede Hageman

NFC scouting director: "When he wants to play, he can. You watch him for a couple of plays, and you see things. Then, you don't see him again."

AFC personnel executive: "He's big and talented. But he's lazy."

Timmy Jernigan

NFC scout: "He tapped out in the championship game. On that last Auburn drive, you couldn't find him."

AFC personnel executive: "He can do a lot of things. He's very strong. He's a first-rounder."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000341123/article/scouting-director-2014-dl-class-worst-ive-seen-in-a-long-time

I said it in the thread about an unnamed person crapping on Clowney and I'll say it here, probably Mickey Loomis or another member in the Saints' organization saying all this. Lots of talk because they know and fear the Falcons and even the Bucs now under defensive minded Lovie Smith wanting/needing to upgrade the DL/front 7 while the Saints are looking at WRs and DBs.

Seems like it's been a war all offseason between the Falcons and Saints especially with the Rafael Bush episode. I think this is smoke and gunshots fired from the Saints because they're scared.

I think its **** near impossible to hide any real information on any player. The back ground checks, copious game tapes, interviews etc pretty much leave no stone unturned. There is too much money involved to piss it away on not knowing. Len Bias was the catalyst for most NFL teams (nay pro teams) to do more than kick the tires. Everything we see in the news, twitter etc is essentially old news or disinformation.

I think I see what you're trying to say but I have no idea what you're talking about using Len Bias as your example? I know his family personally and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt, you won't find a better support system. What happened with Len had nothing to do with the Celtics not doing their homework. He was a very solid and humble kid who just made a huge mistake one night that unfortunately cost him his life. Never tried a drug a day in his life prior to that night. Even if the Celtics had've let the CIA do the background check they still would've drafted him because the kid was that clean. Like I said I see where you're going but please get your facts straight.

I said it in the thread about an unnamed person crapping on Clowney and I'll say it here, probably Mickey Loomis or another member in the Saints' organization saying all this. Lots of talk because they know and fear the Falcons and even the Bucs now under defensive minded Lovie Smith wanting/needing to upgrade the DL/front 7 while the Saints are looking at WRs and DBs.

Seems like it's been a war all offseason between the Falcons and Saints especially with the Rafael Bush episode. I think this is smoke and gunshots fired from the Saints because they're scared.

If Saints want WR, why don't they just sign Julio Jones next year? Jones is probably a Saints fan being from Alabama and stuff.

Excuse me? Child, please be serious.

Every bleepin year there's somebody that will say this is the best _______ class I've seen in x years an somebody else will say just the opposite. Every bleepin year there's somebody who says this is the deepest draft in x years. I'm to the point where I want to ignore all this BS because in the end, it's just what the teams propaganda machines are producing.

The DE class is pretty bad past Clowney, theres no other "sure fire" first round DE, when in other years theres 3-5 drafted in the first round. The Depth at DT is pretty **** good tho.

Yes, the top end is very underwhelming. It's Clowney and thats about it.

But I think there are a lot of guys that can be competent "2nd" DEs on a team. Guys that can give you decent pressure on the QB and help clean things up. And I agree, DT is pretty strong too.

I don't really see any visibly weak positions in this draft. CB doesnt have top end but theres great depth and lots of "CB2" guys. Safety is a little thing. TE is a little thin, I guess.

Yes, the top end is very underwhelming. It's Clowney and thats about it.

But I think there are a lot of guys that can be competent "2nd" DEs on a team. Guys that can give you decent pressure on the QB and help clean things up. And I agree, DT is pretty strong too.

I don't really see any visibly weak positions in this draft. CB doesnt have top end but theres great depth and lots of "CB2" guys. Safety is a little thing. TE is a little thin, I guess.

DE is probably the weakest group.

WR is the deepest I've ever seen. RB is deep, CB is deep, DT is deep, OL is deep. OLB is deep.

TE is deeper than most years. Safety has some top end guys then drops off a bit.