Gimme Jake Mathews For #1 Pick

Supes™

I like everything I hear about this kid. Big, strong and versatile. "Can play any position on the o-line and play it well" is what they tell me. When Baker goes down, we can plug him in.

Gotta keep Ryan upright if we wanna climb back in this thing, and gotta do better than last in the league in rushing.

Gimme Big Jake.

EDIT 5/9/14 - YEAH BABY!!!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like everything I hear about this kid. Big, strong and versatile. "Can play any position on the o-line and play it well" is what they tell me. When Baker goes down, we can plug him in.

Gotta keep Ryan upright if we wanna climb back in this thing, and gotta do better than last in the league in rushing.

Gimme Big Jake.

How y'all doin'?

Agreed.

You're gonna get a need, with a pedigree.

Jake has to be the safest pick in the entire draft. I'd still take Clowney, or Mack, first, because as much as I want a great OL, we desperately need a dominant pass rusher with Abe gone, but Matthews has the skills and the pedigree, he has the smallest potential bust factor in the draft.

Gimme Big Jake.

How y'all doin'?

Someone making sense around here is nice for a change. Everyone seems to have quickly forgotten how much our o line sucked last year. It's unbelievable. Some people have the memory of a goldfish.

Jake has to be the safest pick in the entire draft. I'd still take Clowney, or Mack, first, because as much as I want a great OL, we desperately need a dominant pass rusher with Abe gone, but Matthews has the skills and the pedigree, he has the smallest potential bust factor in the draft.

This ^^ Good to see you Supes smile.png

Edited by Xfactor

In my memory, all I can seem to remember is Matt Ryan sacked, Matt Ryan sacked, Matt Ryan pressured, Matt Ryan hurried, Matt Ryan sacked, Matt Ryan hurried, etc. etc.

He literally had time to make one read all year long. You can't win a football game if you can't protect the QB. Julio, roddy, and every other weapon don't matter if you can't protect the QB.

Yeah & you geniuses think a rookie is gonna come in a solve our oline.

I can name 2 times in the playoffs that our offense stepped up. Name one time that our defense did NOT collapse in the playoffs since 2008. I wanna punch a baby everytime I hear someone say "He has pedigree" like that means jack ****.

I can name 2 times in the playoffs that our offense stepped up. Name one time that our defense did NOT collapse in the playoffs since 2008. I wanna punch a baby everytime I hear someone say "He has pedigree" like that means jack ****.

If Mack or Clowney are there you take them. Pass rushers are very tough to find. I don't think anyone would disagree, but the odds are Matthews or Robinson are there at 6 if we don't move up. I don't think anyone is expecting one OT or OG to solve our OL problems, just like Clowney or Mack won't solve our DL problems individually. If Mack and Clowney are gone at 6, and no one is biting on a move back, Matthews is probably our best bet.

Gimme Big Jake.

How y'all doin'?

Word. Didn't he visit?

this guy gets it

the rest of u are idiots

Yeah because u can compare jake to every other lineman. If having a hall of fame dad & all the teachings he has gotten from him since high school doesn't make you think he is ahead of the others, I think you are sadly mistaken. Maybe we should take Greg Robinson then & let Matt get killed every 3rd down & get a 1,000 holding calls.

Trufant has pedigree...he gives a lot of credit to that himself saying his brothers helped him get nfl ready...and he had a **** impressive rookie year. So yes...it "can" mean jack ****.

Here's an article from Nov 2012 breaking down Jake Matthews at RT:

Film Breakdown of Texas A&M's Jake Matthews against LSU

vsmingo1f.0_standard_709.0.png

Texas A&M were recently given the tough job of blocking two of this years most talked about pass-rushers, Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery. But their offensive tackles stood up to the test, with Jake Matthews shining against Mingo.

Considering he's playing at right tackle, it's easy to overlook Texas A&M's Jake Matthews and focus on the highly talented left tackle Luke Joeckel. But a few weeks ago, we saw a rare match up between arguably the top two pass-rushers in this draft class against arguably (and I'll fight in Matthews corner on this one), the two top offensive tackles in this draft class. Matthews spent most of the game dueling it out with Barkevious Mingo, leaving Joeckel to block Sam Montgomery. But rarely were either of the tackles given help, something most teams have to do against LSU.

The first thing that impressed me about Matthews was his awareness. He had his head on a swivel, ready to pick up the extra rusher if needed.

awareness1a_medium.png

Here, LSU run a cornerback blitz on Matthews' side.

awareness1b_medium.png

Matthews get a solid punch on Mingo while he waits for the corner to become a threat.

awareness1c_medium.png

After handing Mingo off inside to the right guard, Matthews is able to drop step and get into position to cut off the corner blitz. The corner ends up slipping as he attempted to come back inside, but Matthews played the blitz perfectly and was in a great position to shut down the corner.

I love the kid. I'll go with the whole he's got limited upside garbage, but think about it what does that mean? He'll never be Orlando pace? Will he be a Jon Runyon that plays 13 years of good solid ball? In the scheme of things I have zero problem drafting Jake amd him simply being a solid, tough durable LT for 12-15 yrs and oh btw having the ability to play any position on the line for those 12-15 years...that's a great return on investment

Personally, I see a kid that regardless where he played on the line in college he not only succeeded...he excelled.

I would love Mathews, people mock it because it's the safest pick and I have no idea why. We have enough journeymen on our oline that were supposed to have high ceilings...I want a guy who can do it day one and keep Ryan upright. Id be happy if we took either one at six and wouldn't care if we went defense every other pick in the draft.