Espn/mcshay - Four Elite Players In This Draft

g-dawg

Watching the "Ken Doll"(McShay) on ESPN and he said there are four elite players in this draft:

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE-South Carolina
    20130212-124701.jpg
  2. Greg Robinson, OT-Auburn
    Greg-Robinson-Arkansas.jpg
  3. Khalil Mack, OLB-Buffalo
    20131019_mbr_al9_034.0_standard_709.0.jpg
  4. Sammy Watkins, WR-Clemson

sammy-watkins-2.jpg

we could argue a bit about the order but I basically think he has it about right. I would really like to see the Falcons come out of this draft with Clowney, Robinson or Mack.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

clowney and Mack will be top 3 .... I think it will come down to Robinson and Matthews.

I think Robinson freakish ability have ppl down on Matthew.... If you look at any johnny football highlight .... he is running for his life but the one dude who still got his man under control is matthews.

Could be right.

Mack's my guy but if we could land him, Clowney, or Robinson without moving up (unless a move up that is less expensive than expected) then I'd consider our 1st round a success.

As of right now I'm really leaning on:

Texans-Bortles

Lions-Watkins

Jaguars-Clowney

Browns-Manziel

Raiders-QB or Robinson

Falcons-Mack or G-Rob if not taken by Raiders

I think the rumors come true and the Lions swap with the Rams to grab Watkins. Lions might fear Watkins not getting past Cleveland or Oakland and even if he did then there's no way he'd get past the Bucs or Bills and fall to the Lions at #10.

Jaguars 50-50 with Clowney or a QB but I think they end up taking Clowney.

Manziel to the Browns as they reportedly have high interest in him. They have a decent defense and some offensive weapons with Gordon, Jordan Cameron, and Ben Tate along with a stud LT Joe Thomas. Get a franchise QB at #4 and then a WR like Kelvin Benjamin or Odell Beckham Jr at #26 (from Colts) and they could be a huge surprise AFC playoff team.

I think the Raiders could take Mack but his strength is in a 3-4 defense and the Raiders are more of a 4-3. Raiders took LB Sio Moore in last year's 2nd round and signed Justin Tuck and LaMarr Woodley, although no telling how long Tuck or Woodley will be around. Think the Raiders go with offense at #5.

With all of that said, I'd be surprised if Mack, Clowney, or Robinson are all gone by #6. I expect at least one of them to be on the board when we pick and maybe a good chance that two of those guys will still be there at #6.

Edited by CTann

Don't see the Raiders going OT in round 1, they've got money tied in to Austin Howard and Donald Penn...

Good point. Forgot about Penn signing with the Raiders.

You think the Raiders will go QB at #5 or something else? Kinda hard to tell what they might do, assuming Watkins is off the board by then.

Can't lie here I been umming and arghing for months BUT after all the conjecture I want the BPA.

That would be Clowney his talent to me is just to enticing to miss out on.

I understand Mack & Robinson are very good players but I just honestly believe Clowney is next level talent wise.

I also like Sammy Watkins offensively I think he's another Roddy White type in the making.

I can see rams going WR.. They like Evans and Watkins

If we cant walk away with Clowney or Mack.... Greg Robinson is the guy i really want ... I think Matthew wil be a good OT but the way Robinson can blow guys up on 3rd and shorts and his athleticism and toughness ..... He would be perfect for us

Matthews is definitely not elite. He is what we hoped Sam Baker would be. Solid, but nothing special.

I think this is horribly inaccurate. And I think McShay and Kiper are way off base in thinking it.

Matthews isn't "solid, nothing special"

He's basically Joe Thomas part 2. What he is, is boring. And because he doesnt have the upside of Robinson (I guess) he's being seen as ho-hum. In reality, hes a significantly better player than Robinson right now and he's still got room to grow.

Good point. Forgot about Penn signing with the Raiders.

You think the Raiders will go QB at #5 or something else? Kinda hard to tell what they might do, assuming Watkins is off the board by then.

I'm leaning Watkins or defense on the Raiders. I think they go QB in round 2 or 3...

I think this is horribly inaccurate. And I think McShay and Kiper are way off base in thinking it.

He's basically Joe Thomas part 2. What he is, is boring. And because he doesnt have the upside of Robinson (I guess) he's being seen as ho-hum. In reality, hes a significantly better player than Robinson right now and he's still got room to grow.

He doesn't have Robinson's athleticism. He is, and forever will be, limited by his frame. That's why he's not elite. He's a technician. He does the best he can, with what he has.

Matthews does not even have the long arms that are coveted by Scouts/GMs either. He weighs 305lbs. So Matthews does not have prototype size, he does not have prototype strength and he does not blow you away when you watch him play.

He's solid. that is it...

Yet our own GM said this:

Falcons GM Thomas Dimirtroff believes Texas A&M T Jake Matthews has a chance to go No. 1 overall if he turns the right heads.

"He is a such a technique-sound individual," Dimirtroff told reporters. "He has such an understanding of the game, being from a historic NFL football family. He’s just so well-rounded in so many ways on and off the field that he’s going to be a guy who is going to turn a lot of heads." The Falcons might be in play for an offensive tackle early in the draft, but that prospects could be Auburn's Greg Robinson. The Sideline View's Lance Zierlein spoke with one NFL scout who noted some teams are projecting Matthews to center.

That said, I think the guys McShay lists have the most "upside" but that doesn't make them the best 4 picks.

I don't see how that, in any way, contradicts G-dawg's post.

McShay might be right, he might be wrong, but I am really impressed that a guy with no connections and such weak history and football credentials like McShay has gotten so many people to care about his opinion. Very impressive.

McShay has a forum that you and I don't have. Maybe McShay's daddy is on the board of directors at ESPN - I dunno. The point is - McShay has a megaphone and eyeballs watching = thus we comment.

But in this instance, I believe he is right. And at least McShay had the balls to admit he was initially wrong about Anthony Barr and did so before a lot of the media draft pundits jumped off.

McShay has a forum that you and I don't have. Maybe McShay's daddy is on the board of directors at ESPN - I dunno. The point is - McShay has a megaphone and eyeballs watching = thus we comment.

But in this instance, I believe he is right. And at least McShay had the balls to admit he was initially wrong about Anthony Barr and did so before a lot of the media draft pundits jumped off.

I'm not a fan of McShay or Kiper to me there just talking heads.

I remember a show last year before the draft McShay was on with Polian and the latter absolutely schooled the young pup on certain aspects especially in the way a team looked at a specific prospects.

Tell that to these guys:

Jake Matthews - 6 foot 5 - 305 pounds

Joe Thomas - 6 foot 6 - 312 pounds

Joe Staley - 6 foot 5 - 315 pounds

If Matthews put on 5-10 pounds of muscle he'd be right with those guys.

Also note that Joe Staley was about 305 coming out of college too. So Jake Matthews is almost the same size as some of the best OTs in the game.

Those guys remind me more of Robinson than Matthews.

Ill be honest .. I listen to Kiper,Daniel Jeremiah, and Mayock... They go by what teams/sources are telling them .... Kiper had us taking Alford in the 1st round because he heard we was very interested and he liked the player (felt he was a 1st round talent) ... We did get him but it was in the 2nd... Mayyock and DJ had us getting Tru for a while.

I not going to say Todd Mcshay knows nothing ... I just feel he is giving his opinion more then going off what he is hearing what teams will do.

Those guys remind me more of Robinson than Matthews.

really ?

This my thing .. Joe Thomas was a good run blocker when he was draft .... Staley was solid..... They both improved over the years.

To me Matthews handled mostly any DE he faced in pass protection ... He has improvement to do vs the run ... Normally thats the case by most OTs ..... Greg Robinson is just a freak of nature... He is the opposite.