Real Question Here....not Trash Talking....how's The New Stadium Coming Along?

jb 3.0

It's going to look like a disco anus. I'd rather see them develop the ghettos around it.

Yeah I can't say I am proud this town is getting a big new stadium. Let me see with it will come more cost to the state and the people going to the games. Sure wish they could put the money into making the area around it better. I won't go to the games as I can't justify the cost now. I love the game just not the money end of it.

I think it's gonna be awesome. People who don't like the stadium either don't like the design of the exterior or think it's a waste of money. I agree that it's an unnecessary expenditure because the GA Dome is still serviceable, but its mostly Arthur Blank's money and tax revenue from hotels, so I don't think the wasteful spending impacts me that much.

And for the people who think the design is crap, I think once they are inside this structure they are gonna change their minds. The outside may look crazy but I think they will do an awesome job making this feel like a next generation Falcons stadium and the retractable roof will be sick. and we will get fly-overs from some jets at Dobbins AFB

Drove past it last week. Definitely underway. At least the road work. Those of you saying the area around it won't be developed are some clueless mofos. Trust me. There are already brand new lofts and condo complexes being built. It will be within walking distance of the World Congress Center, The World of Coke, The Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center, Philips Arena, Cenntennial Olympic Park, The Carousel, Castleberry Hill, College Football Hall of Fame, Civil Rights Museum, Street Car and more. There will be new housing developments to the west and the Atlanta Mayor is hellbent to redevelop the MLK Blvd corridor. The stadium will be state of the art and the area around it will become a tourist attraction.

This is a great thing happening for the city.

Blank is footing a large chunk (more % than any other owner that built new stadium) of the cost.

The other large chunk is coming from hotel tax so....unless you personally stay in Atlanta hotels often this doesnt affect you.

Also.....part of the agreement in the deal for the new stadium is $ to invest in the development of the surrounding community.

Many local construction workers will be working on the new stadium which means job creation.

The new stadium will keep the SEC championship in the ATL

Will probably get the NCAA Final Four

Will host a Superbowl(s)

Will host many, many more concerts / sporting events

ALL of which bring money / jobs to Atlanta.

This is a win / win.

People should be glad that we have an owner who will spend his own money to make the city better.

One more thing. My dad is a good friend of Andy Young. A couple years ago Andy told my dad that if Blank gets the new stadium he will eventually relocate the Branch to that area and provide further development to include high end homes and commercial establishments for the staff and players. By 2020 you won't recognize the area. I grew up nearby in Dixie Hills and already don't recognize it. Oh and if Blank relocates the Branch down there I'm at every open practice.

Drove past it last week. Definitely underway. At least the road work. Those of you saying the area around it won't be developed are some clueless mofos. Trust me. There are already brand new lofts and condo complexes being built. It will be within walking distance of the World Congress Center, The World of Coke, The Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center, Philips Arena, Cenntennial Olympic Park, The Carousel, Castleberry Hill and more. There will be new housing developments to the west and the Atlanta Mayor is hellbent to redevelop the MLK Blvd corridor. The stadium will be state of the art and the area around it will become a tourist attraction.

You're right. People round here just want something to ***** about since it's the offseason.

Haven't been down there, because I am in Cobb, but the people whining, are the people that are always going to whine. Do the players need a new stadium? Well if you are going to go down the path of "should we do this or that" based on the money aspects, you open up a huge can of worms.

"should pro athletes make exponentially more money than teachers?"

"should we be spending more than the next 23 or 24 countries combined on defense, when 22 of them are allies?

I could sit here and wax on for an hour with this line of thinking, but the simple truth is Blank wants control of the stadium revenue, and this allowed him to get that, and allows our Falcons to stay in Atlanta. There is no reason to complain about things you can't help, when obviously based on the "develop the ghettos" comments, you don't understand how life works. Developing the ghettos usually entails tearing down low income housing, and building new develpments with a higher price tag, displacing the people downtown into lesser pricey areas (such as Gwinnexico or the Windy Hill section of Marietta). The development will come, but this stadium will be a boon to the economy in Atlanta, and those who don't see it are short sighted.

One more thing. My dad is a good friend of Andy Young. A couple years ago Andy told my dad that if Blank gets the new stadium he will eventually relocate the Branch to that area and provide further development to include high end homes and commercial establishments for the staff and players. By 2020 you won't recognize the area. I grew up nearby in Dixie Hills and already don't recognize it. Oh and if Blank relocates the Branch down there I'm at every open practice.

You grew up in Dixie Hills? Do you remember the 14 Dixie Hills Bus. I went to Herndon, Kennedy and MBC. I remember when the Dome wasn't even though about and what that area looked like before then....deplorable.

You grew up in Dixie Hills? Do you remember the 14 Dixie Hills Bus. I went to Herndon, Kennedy and MBC. I remember when the Dome wasn't even though about and what that area looked like before then....deplorable.

Rode the 14 Dixie Hills every day to Douglass High. Well at least as close as it would take you. I believe it cost .15 to ride back then.

Here are the visual mock ups created by the architects: http://newstadium.atlantafalcons.com/.

From a design perspective, it is going to be a marvel (see the mockups).

From a technical perspective, there several sections to the roof being opened. This means more potential for technical failures, and potentially costly to maintain and troubleshoot over time.

Here's a link to a story on the new Civil Rights Museum which opens next month. They also mention the College Football Hall of Fame and new Street Car system coming online this year. All of these attractions will be in walking distance of the World Congress Center, World of Coke, Georgia Aquarium, CNN Center, Philips Arena, Cenntennial Olympic Park, The Carousel, Castleberry Hill and of course, The Pantheon. In the story just look around at all the cranes and new condo complexes being developed in the area.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/new-atlanta-civil-rights-museum-opening-6-months/nb2tG/