Walterfootball Grades Josh Wilson Signing.

falconsb_logo.gif Falcons sign CB Josh Wilson (1 year, $920,000): A Grade

This is a fantastic signing. Josh Wilson is talented enough to be a slightly sub-par starting cornerback, as he was one of the few Redskin defenders who didn't play terribly this past season. Yet, the Falcons are somehow getting him for backup money. I have no idea why there wasn't more of a market for Wilson, but Atlanta is getting a steal.

Wilson won't start for the Falcons unless there are injuries, but he'll provide some much-needed depth at the corner position, a hole created by the departure of Asante Samuel.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

falconsb_logo.gif Falcons sign S Dwight Lowery (1 year, $760,000): B+ Grade

This would be another great, cheap signing for Atlanta if we could be sure that Dwight Lowery would stay healthy. Unfortunately, that's not the case, as Lowery has missed a whopping 28 games over the past six seasons because of various injuries. In fact, he barely played for the Jaguars last year because of a concussion he sustained in late September.

Lowery can provide solid depth if healthy, and he could even be a passable starter in the event that Atlanta can't upgrade the safety position in May (I have them doing so in the third round of my 2014 NFL Mock Draft). Lowery isn't reliable, unfortunately, but at just $760,000, the Falcons aren't exactly taking a risk.

With the offseason roster increased to 90 players a couple of years ago, we need as many of these type of guys as possible to compete in camp to either fill holes or add depth. And by "these type of guys" I mean players with little guaranteed money and potential upside. As mentioned above, if they suck in camp, cut 'em, but the more cheap guys with potential upside we bring in, the better chance of hitting on a good player.

I suspect that camp this year will be a war. If the borderline talent hasn't been put on notice that their play is a slap in the face to the fans, the team and the city of Atlanta, then camp may be the wake up call. We need fire, brimstone and surly attitudes. Its time to strap on the implements of war and make some **** noise.

$760k for Lowery?? That's practically a dollar menu signing. Still questioning him as a player, but I can definitely get with those numbers.

And less than a mill for Wilson is the steal of the year. Easily my favorite second-tier signing of the offseason so far.

Edited by The Falchemist

Where did they get these contract details? I haven't seen them published anywhere.

Great value for both of those guys. They might both be vet minimum contracts for their years of service. Vet minimum for Josh Wilson is $855k plus up to $60k signing bonus (1 year, $915k). Vet minimum for Lowery is $730k plus up to $60k signing bonus (up to 1 year, $790k). That would be awesome if they are both on minimum contracts, as their cap hits would only be $570k plus whatever signing bonus if they make the roster.

Are we the only one tali

Yea I mean I'm pissed we missed on Bush, but it put the Aints further in cap **** and we still have a serviceable vet FS on the team now... so **** it. Happy for this.

We keep say saint don't have any money but they keep signing people we wanted

I.E bush, Byrd , Bailey. Not to mention Graham