We Have The Wrong Hc To Be A Tough Team.

Blank knows this, or at least high suspects it. Note the 2 year contract extension. Smith has 1 year left to prove his soft approach to the game works or he's out. You cannot be a tough, aggressive, mean and nasty team when you're scared to death of causing a penalty. THAT is why the players didn't do anything when Ryan was hit. They were scared of the consequences that would follow a 15 yard penalty.

Smith has to find a way for the team to play aggressive without getting careless. It's easy to not be penalized but it comes at a cost.

Why no pass rush? Because you're not allowed to be aggressive. Smith would hate for you to jump too soon.

Why no deep passes? Because they are low percentage plays. Smith doesn't know what keeping a defense honest means.

Smith has a lot of work to do and he may have dug himself a hole he cannot get out of in one year.

He needs to walk into camp and tell the guys that things have changed. If not, they will change but he will not be around to see the results.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it's more the players TD brings in. Like DeCoud Edwards, etc... these guys weren't known for being tough. We bring in a Mike Smith guy like MIke Peterson and he's tough and isn't afraid of hitting. TD likes choir boys. I can't think of one DC that doesn't preach toughness, trenches, etc... Smith was a former DC.

I've wondered before how much of the type of players TD drafted is him or if he filtered out other ones because of direction Blank gave him, because TD came in around the same time the whole Vick ordeal is, so if not for Blank saying he didn't want "thugs" I wonder who we would be drafting or if TD would still do the same

Blame the coach? The GM and his infamous "Falcon filter" provide a steady diet of neutered, high character prospects. To optimize chances for success, those players were put in their comfort zone of discipline and hard work. If you want Harvey Dahl attitudes, you have to draft them, but yeah, put that on the coach smh.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.

The infamous 'Falcon Filter' doesn't come from TD. It originated with Blank.

Blank can talk all he wants but the Falcon Filter came from him

Blank knows this, or at least high suspects it. Note the 2 year contract extension. Smith has 1 year left to prove his soft approach to the game works or he's out. You cannot be a tough, aggressive, mean and nasty team when you're scared to death of causing a penalty. THAT is why the players didn't do anything when Ryan was hit. They were scared of the consequences that would follow a 15 yard penalty.

Smith has to find a way for the team to play aggressive without getting careless. It's easy to not be penalized but it comes at a cost.

Why no pass rush? Because you're not allowed to be aggressive. Smith would hate for you to jump too soon.

Why no deep passes? Because they are low percentage plays. Smith doesn't know what keeping a defense honest means.

Smith has a lot of work to do and he may have dug himself a hole he cannot get out of in one year.

He needs to walk into camp and tell the guys that things have changed. If not, they will change but he will not be around to see the results.

I disagree, I bet Smitty turns irish red face and can get pretty dam mad---I for one wouldn't want to miss an assignment if I were on the roster, then Nolan looks tough too. I think they are all on high alert and know their heads and jobs are on the line this season

The last think I think of is "soft" when I think of Mike Smith. I think if challenged he'd go toe to toe with anyone in the NFL...and Smith is about 5'9" tall.

You could have Mike Ditka as our coach but he'd be no more effective if handed hatchets and spears to battle guns and cannons.

It isn't just Smitty. Blank is the one who created the so-called Falcon Filter because image and branding are his top two priorities. He can talk all he wants, but he is the one who set that standard. Granted, it doesn't help that if Blalock had run in and knocked Kenny Vacarro's **** in the dirt after that play and gotten a 15 yard penalty, Smitty would have chewed him out on the sideline, but this is an issue that plagues the eentire organization. Smitty is just a part. You could have a hardass like Jim Harbaugh in charge but it wouldn't make any difference if every tough guy with a mean streak is black dotted three months before draft day.

Blame the coach? The GM and his infamous "Falcon filter" provide a steady diet of neutered, high character prospects. To optimize chances for success, those players were put in their comfort zone of discipline and hard work. If you want Harvey Dahl attitudes, you have to draft them, but yeah, put that on the coach smh.

Rich McKay coined the term. Fans just refuse to let it go.

I agree with Swift and Mr. Right .....unsure.pngblink.pngph34r.png........and Musk ....

Even though its the same concept as a broke clock is right twice a day, it still makes you want to throw up when you agree because truth be told they are simply right on TD drafting team captains and not some maulers in the trenches.

I think people frequently mistake composure for softness. The players on the field make all the difference, and while Smitty carries himself with a mild temperament, I see now reason why we cannot toughen up as a team with the personnel changes that have been made during the off season.