Why Can't Robert Mcclain Be Our Free Safety?

I think that he'd be better than any rookie and better than Bush would have been.

He has ball skills,an above average tackler, isn't shy about hitting and can cover in man coverage when needed and covers a lot of space.

Problem is we'd have to replace him in the slot/nickle corner. We've sign a few guys though so I think its looking like McClain's going to get his shot.

I think he could be really good as a FS but if we ask him to be an enforcer so to say were he's going to be a big hitter say like Bush was he won't last the season. But if we allow him to roam and be a playmaker I think he could be really good.

I also think Motta could be good as well.

I think though ideally the perfect thing to happen is Calvin Pryor falls around that 18-22 range and we move up and grab him but if we move up and grab Clowney we'd be giving up a ton for 2 guys probably 4-5 picks total.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Devin McCourty, Jarius Byrd, and Charles Woodson were all CB's at first..

Kenny Versaco was more so a slot CB/Safety in college that's what the game is really moving towards in that safeties who are nearly as good as corners in coverage

What would make McClain so good is he can cover a lot of space so he has much more range than the average safety.

Edited by THE ICEMAN

Belichick is not new to the transition, either. He drafted Eugene Wilson, a college cornerback at Illinois, and moved him to safety. He did the same with former Illini Tavon Wilson in 2012. Wilson was drafted in the second round and moved to safety. He played cornerback in his freshman, sophomore and senior seasons at Illinois and safety in his junior year. “I think it’s something that’s pretty common,” Belichick said. “It goes back to my first years in the league. There were plenty of guys that played corner that played safety — Steve Foley at the Broncos. I think he played his whole career at safety. He was a corner at Tulane. College is different than pro.” Not just any player can move from cornerback to safety. It takes a smart, instinctive player to be able to take on all the responsibilities of playing back deep. Some experience playing zone cornerback doesn’t hurt, either. “There are certain skills at safety that are a little different than they are at corner,” Belichick said. “You see more of the field. You get a better chance to read the quarterback on a lot of things, depending on how much man or zone coverage you’re playing. Your matchups are different on inside receivers versus perimeter receivers. Certainly the recognition and diagnosis of the play, the quarterback, the relationship between the receivers from the inside part of the field is a lot different than it is from the outside part of the field. There’s certainly a different perspective of the game from in there, there’s no question about that.”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2013/09/devin-mccourty-jairus-byrds-successful-transitions-from-cornerback-to-safety-may-make-league-take-notice/

Interesting...Belichick has a habit of converting corners to safeties, and we have two of his main guys in our FO now. And, we just brought in Javier Arenas, who has played safety, re-signed Robert McClain who is normally our nickel corner, and then, signed Josh Wilson who is ALSO a nickel/slot corner..That deserves an eyebrow raise if you ask me.

CB and Safety are totally different positions! A select few can transition from one to the other but you can't just assume a S can play CB and vice versa! McClain is not a safety!

I think that a slot/nickle corner is far different from a outside corner I think the transition from slot to FS wouldn't be as tough as from going from outside to safety.

But yea it is an adjustment really no different than a rookie safety will go threw. We played a ton a zone in the past so McClain could adjust fairly easily now if we were a team that played a ton of man it would be tough.

CB and Safety are totally different positions! A select few can transition from one to the other but you can't just assume a S can play CB and vice versa! McClain is not a safety!

So if a select few can transition, how do you know McClain can't? I'm not saying he can, but if the coaching staff thinks it's worth a shot, why not?? Arenas and Wilson in the slot is pretty solid.

I think it's fair to say we will take a safety if ine is there we like. Other than that I think we will take a hard look at McClain and Arenas at FS as well as Ishmeal.

But IMO it looks more and more like bush was our guy, didn't get him so we will have a good 4 or 5 player battle at FS.

I think that he'd be better than any rookie and better than Bush would have been.

He has ball skills,an above average tackler, isn't shy about hitting and can cover in man coverage when needed and covers a lot of space.

Problem is we'd have to replace him in the slot/nickle corner. We've sign a few guys though so I think its looking like McClain's going to get his shot.

I think he could be really good as a FS but if we ask him to be an enforcer so to say were he's going to be a big hitter say like Bush was he won't last the season. But if we allow him to roam and be a playmaker I think he could be really good.

I also think Motta could be good as well.

I think though ideally the perfect thing to happen is Calvin Pryor falls around that 18-22 range and we move up and grab him but if we move up and grab Clowney we'd be giving up a ton for 2 guys probably 4-5 picks total.

What you suggest is certainly possible, and could also be true of Arenas, however the probability is slim for the simple fact that we are desperate and cannot rely on such a risk to start the season. The Falcons will not open camp without a clear upgrade brought in for 'competition.' That said, I would love to see them try a few people out during some extensive cross-training exploration in camp. Although even if someone shows they are capable they will still need to beat out whoever we acquire (Pryor/Bucannon/Ward/surprise draftee or a vet trade).

Unfortunately we also suck at player development and have a coach who is rather unwilling to surprise us, making this fine idea even less likely.