Why The First 2 Overall Picks Far Well For Falcons For Clowney

#1 the Texans have the first overall pick in the draft. Many "Experts" believe that Clowney is and should be first overall pick because he is a can't miss game changer. That maybe so but with the draft not so deep in OT's and OB's (opinion) they may have no choice. Then you have to ask, is how many points can Clowney score or stop In the league with plenty good coaches and QB's? The Texans easily has a top ten defense already I see them picking a quarterback first overall or OT to have a better all around team considering they traded Matt Schab away. If the Texans grab Clowney first overall they will be picking #1 overall next year (opinion).

#2 The rams has a defensive and offensive line full of first round picks. I see them trading down I don't see them trading out of the top ten. If the rams trade with the Falcons to stay in the top ten and receive a high second round pick they have pretty good leverage in a trade deal to move back up into the top 5 to grab a player like Mack or receiver in Watkins. And still have another First and second round pick along with a second 2nd round pick 2015. Both Falcons and Rams gain here because Falcons hasn't had a dominant pass rush since Abraham #55 and only lose one pick in the draft of 10 picks. And the Rams have an opportunity to solidify there team tenfold in high picks.

Another point.

Jake Matthews is by many considered to be the safest pick in the draft. If the Texans do pass on Clowney ,which think they will, and Quarterback. And QB's do slide in the draft. I think a tough LT could solidify there line for a rookie quarterback.

Well they brought in a FA QB for comp and I believe they are going to let their rookie QB from the 2nd round and the 2 QBs on their roster battle it out. They really need a right tackle IMO question is to me is the pick gonna be Robinson or Matthews. They keep floating the idea of Clowney I think they would really love to flip spots with us or Oakland or maybe Tampa. Somewhere in the range that they could get one of the top 3 OTs.

Edited by Sobeit

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they brought in a FA QB for comp and I believe they are going to let their rookie QB from the 2nd round and the 2 QBs on their roster battle it out. They really need a right tackle IMO question is to me is the pick gonna be Robinson or Matthews. They keep floating the idea of Clowney I think they would really love to flip spots with us or Oakland or maybe Tampa. Somewhere in the range that they could get one of the top 3 OTs.

yeah if they draft Clowney in the first there going to hang on for dear life with the whole they have they just might and I believe if they do draft him they will be right back at number one and there new coaches will be fired.

Many thought #2 was a reach but we picked him and turned out to be one of the best picks we've ever made. Even Matt had question marks like Bortles with accuracy issues but with football IQ. And what did we do? We traded back to the first to get a OT to protect our quarterback.

sh*t we had to go to free agency to get Abraham. And The Texans already have JJ they didn't have to spend as much. We made the playoff that year....

There was no high caliber DE/OLB like Clowney coming out in '08. He is the biggest pass rusher to come out in the past decade. Houston had the #1 pick in '06 as well. David Carr was coming off a 2-14 season throwing 2500 yards, 60% accuracy, 14TD/11INT. There was Vince Young AND Matt Leinart coming into the draft along with the "biggest playmaker" Reggie Bush.

Who'd they pick? Mario Williams. I want Clowney more than anything this draft, we aren't getting it unless we hop to #1 because if we don't and houston doesn't pick him, some other team will.

Yall are hilarious with this "CANT MISS" DE talk. Clowney had 3 sacks last year. That was already a miss if you ask me. This guy has to be one of the most over hyped prospects in recent history. It's not like it's going to get easier for him once he hits the NFL.

Go watch his tape, double teamed often, QB rolls in the opposite direction, runs going to the opposite direction, and him giving minimal effort. He's hyped, but he's freakishly athletic and has proven he can dominate. Put him next to the best 3-4DE in the NFL today, he'll have an easy time adjusting to the NFL speed.

There was no high caliber DE/OLB like Clowney coming out in '08. He is the biggest pass rusher to come out in the past decade. Houston had the #1 pick in '06 as well. David Carr was coming off a 2-14 season throwing 2500 yards, 60% accuracy, 14TD/11INT. There was Vince Young AND Matt Leinart coming into the draft along with the "biggest playmaker" Reggie Bush.

Who'd they pick? Mario Williams. I want Clowney more than anything this draft, we aren't getting it unless we hop to #1 because if we don't and houston doesn't pick him, some other team will.

Go watch his tape, double teamed often, QB rolls in the opposite direction, runs going to the opposite direction, and him giving minimal effort. He's hyped, but he's freakishly athletic and has proven he can dominate. Put him next to the best 3-4DE in the NFL today, he'll have an easy time adjusting to the NFL speed.

So what your saying is that the new regime in coaches and Coordinators and the make the same mistake as the last? It won't help there team if they ignore there obvious needs and DE isn't one of them they have 2 double digit sack masters in there front 7.

They already have a dominant DE in JJ Watt. And have a top ten defense. With no offense and aging Andre Johnson and no Matt Schab so.

Yeah because why would the Texans want 2 great DEs when they can have 1?

None of these QBs are going to be an upgrade to what the Texans already have this year. None of them are franchise QBs. It would be smarter for the Texans to use Fitzpatrick for 1 year, and wait to get better QB options next year or take a Qb in the 2nd round.

You guys act like there is a big dropoff between the QBs in this year's draft. The Texans are not forced to get a QB in the first round. That is just wishful thinking and clear bias. I know you are a fan, but we could use some honesty here.

Edited by Objective Critic

Yeah because why would the Texans want 2 great DEs when they can have 1?

None of these QBs are going to be an upgrade to what the Texans already have this year. None of them are franchise QBs. It would be smarter for the Texans to use Fitzpatrick for 1 year, and wait to get better QB options next year or take a Qb in the 2nd round.

You guys act like there is a big dropoff between the QBs in this year's draft. The Texans are not forced to get a QB in the first round. That is just wishful thinking and clear bias. I know you are a fan, but we could use some honesty here.

you want to talk about honesty let's talk. Honestly I am a fan of Clowney I'm also a fan of Khalil Mack, Greg Robinson, and Sammy Watkins. I have been watching them for the past 2 years make plays I'm a football fan. But when you talk about there not being a franchise QB in the first round, and not being a drop off, and they only have one DE when they Clearly have 2. Then if you can be honest with yourself how can you speak on honesty to others?

This draft is deeper in OTs and QBs than DEs.

This draft is two deep in top LT's. The second tier of LT's is only two deep, as well.

The Falcons are no longer looking for the classic 4-3 DE. They are looking for DE's that are bigger. This draft will offer such DE's deep into the 4th round.

The type of pass rushers the Falcons are looking for can be found into the 3rd round.

I have never been good at picking QB's. I thought Akili Smith was the next great one. So, I'll leave the QB talk to someone else.

Yall are hilarious with this "CANT MISS" DE talk. Clowney had 3 sacks last year. That was already a miss if you ask me. This guy has to be one of the most over hyped prospects in recent history. It's not like it's going to get easier for him once he hits the NFL.

But he was double teamed bro. rolleyes.gif

Here's a blurb from cbssports on Anthony Barr:

Followed up breakout junior season with another standout campaign despite facing constant double-team attention. Causes holding penalties due to his athletic motor and power to rip through blocks.

So what your saying is that the new regime in coaches and Coordinators and the make the same mistake as the last? It won't help there team if they ignore there obvious needs and DE isn't one of them they have 2 double digit sack masters in there front 7.

I would agree with you if there wasn't a ring of questions on each and every single QB in this draft. They're all projected to be average/slightly above average. Most are going to be either game managers or busts. Manziel is the big wild card, but if you look at his tape, that line gave him a lot of time to work his "johnny football" magic. Houston's line is pretty average in the nfl.

For all we know, the drop off in quality of QBs of the bortles, bridgewater, and manziel is not much from the mccarron, carr, mettenberger, etc. None are world beaters and this QB draft is considered pretty weak.

Like I said, if this was a luck, rg3, or clowney debate, I wouldn't feel uncomfortable at all because those were two QBs that straight dominated college and had less risks than this year's class.

Look at what KC (and SF) did with game manager Alex Smith. Look what Arizona did with Carson Palmer. You build a dominant defense, you don't need a great QB. They can find that QB in the 3rd round (Wilson) for all we know.

It seems like people are forgetting the JJ Watt with a stout defense factor in the mix. **** they even have Mario williams. But yet they don't have a solid quarterback they don't have a solid offensive line they don't have a solid number 2 receiver and RB foster is taking a break. On top of that they are starting a new regime of coaches. Are you kidding me? DE should be there last worry

Where have you been? Mario Williams has been gone.

Hmmm....lemme think here...the triple-derivative of -2(x-y) is...hmmm....hang on...been a while since calculus......dang.....I'm gonna guess here...... 2? smile.png

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER.

It was just some time ago a team in the north won the big game with a ton of pass rushers against the arguably most dominant team in the NFL. No team is limited to 1 pass rusher.

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER.

It was just some time ago a team in the north won the big game with a ton of pass rushers against the arguably most dominant team in the NFL. No team is limited to 1 pass rusher.

That same team from the North also had a competent QB.

That pass rush is great but only if you have a QB that plays well.

you want to talk about honesty let's talk. Honestly I am a fan of Clowney I'm also a fan of Khalil Mack, Greg Robinson, and Sammy Watkins. I have been watching them for the past 2 years make plays I'm a football fan. But when you talk about there not being a franchise QB in the first round, and not being a drop off, and they only have one DE when they Clearly have 2. Then if you can be honest with yourself how can you speak on honesty to others?

I am being honest. It is virtually universal that none of these QBs are franchise QBs. They are considered good solid QBs who will be drafted higher than they should out of need. Also, who is the 2nd great DE on the Texans?

I am being honest. It is virtually universal that none of these QBs are franchise QBs. They are considered good solid QBs who will be drafted higher than they should out of need. Also, who is the 2nd great DE on the Texans?

Whitney Mercilus is who I ment the OLB not DE. Second a franchise QB is who the team makes him. If they feel that the quarterback can take them to the SD and win it. Then that's there franchise QB there's no set in stone what a franchise QB looks like and there's no quarterback that has Zero questions. There's to many examples of that. Beside we are talking about college QB and DE here.

That QB was 56.1% accuracy 3336 yards 6.3y/a 23TD/20INT

That was competent? even alex smith was 60% 3300 yards 23TD, but threw picks only 7 times.

U want to talk about the regular season or playoffs or maybe even the last few games of the season because that team was 1 loss away from not making the playoffs in the last 5 games?......and then the QB started playing quality football and without that quality football that team almost didn't make the playoffs but they still had them bookend DEs.

Come on man. This is easy stuff.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

60% 214ypg 6TD/1INT in 4 games right? Not the 104ypg rushing and 4 TDs.

Or the defense that forced

7 turnovers in 4 games, 8 sacks in 4 games, allowing 16.3ppg (which would have put them #1 overall in the regular season with that). Some defensive.

Oh the regular season where the last 5 games he went:

80/158 (50.6%) 960 yards (192ypg) 7TD/5INT and lost 4 fumbles? The same span the rushing game went for 793 yards (158.6ypg) and 5 TDs? Those are average numbers.

They had the #4 running game averaging 134.2ypg and #21 passing game averaging 197.1 and overall #16. That QB carried them the whole season right?

Edited by bonesthugsandharmony

60% 214ypg 6TD/1INT in 4 games right? Not the 104ypg rushing and 4 TDs.

Or the defense that forced

7 turnovers in 4 games, 8 sacks in 4 games, allowing 16.3ppg (which would have put them #1 overall in the regular season with that). Some defensive.

Oh the regular season where the last 5 games he went:

80/158 (50.6%) 960 yards (192ypg) 7TD/5INT and lost 4 fumbles? The same span the rushing game went for 793 yards (158.6ypg) and 5 TDs? Those are average numbers.

They had the #4 running game averaging 134.2ypg and #21 passing game averaging 197.1 and overall #16. That QB carried them the whole season right?

I never said the whole season. Matter of fact I pretty much eluded to that in my last post.

But without him turning his game around that team doesn't win the SB and that's with those bookends and it OBVIOUSLY takes a team to win the SB but the most important piece of that team is a competent QB during that playoff run.

Can you name more than 5 teams since the SB started who had a QB that played terrible and win a SB?

You saying two DEs are more important than a competent QB is foolishness and history is CLEARLY on my side in that regards.

And if stats are your only recourse, then you already failed bruh.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

I never said the whole season. Matter of fact I pretty much eluded to that in my last post.

But without him turning his game around that team doesn't win the SB and that's with those bookends and it OBVIOUSLY takes a team to win the SB but the most important piece of that team is a competent QB during that playoff run.

Can you name more than 5 teams since the SB started who had a QB that played terrible and win a SB?

You saying two DEs are more important than a competent QB is foolishness and history is CLEARLY on my side in that regards.

And if stats are your only recourse, then you already failed bruh.

Turning his game around?

Look at his production those "last 5 games" of the regular season (since you know, they needed to win all those games in the last 5 to secure a spot), the run game carried them. His passer rating was 71.2, that puts him bottom 6 in the league. His year average was 73.9 fwiw, so he played even WORSE than his year average, so much for "raising his game". His playoff average was 95.7 (first two games were 117.1 and 132.4, his last two? 72 and 87.3) For as much as he carried them to victory against TB and dallas, he played average against GB and NE.

You are telling me, if you were houston, you'd want to spend the overall #1 pick for a "competent QB" compared to a potential stud pass rushing DE. I could find a competent QB say...3rd round (Wilson) while building a potent defense. AJ McCarron was a competent QB in college, you can get him with the 2nd pick.

How about this, what QB in the last 3 years have come in and played above average in the 1st round:

Cam Newton (1st)

and here are the 1st round "competent" QBs

Jake Locker (8th)

Blaine Gabbert (9th)

Christian Ponder (12th)

and denver could have skipped Von Miller (orton/tebow) and SF could have skipped Aldon Smith (alex and troy smith) for any of those 3 competent QBs because their QBs already sucked. Competence is not hard to find, a **** good DE is.

Andrew Luck

RG3

Ryan Tannehill

Weeden

manuel

the catch? RG3, luck, and to an extent newton. All 3 had less ?? and all 3 went before good pass rushers.

This crop of QBs are flat competent which you can find at a later time and get the most athletic player to come out in a decade.

Edited by bonesthugsandharmony

I know. Dare I say? He's starting to get a bit of a Ryan Leaf feel to him.