Braves Vs. Mets, 4/8-4/10

K26dp

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really guy? Who in the **** has even attempted to say that we are fine with what BJ is doing at the plate? The only thing myself and a handful of others are saying that if you're going to bench him, don't do it for a guy who's a marginal upgrade, if he's even that. And really? We can't bring up career stats? I guess those years just didn't happen.

It amazes me that people still continue to freak out if everything isn't clicking right out of the gate. Do they suck right now offensively? Yes. A resounding yes. But do you shake up the lineup, one that is going to pretty much carry us through the entire season, based off a handful of games? **** no. Quit freaking the **** out people.

BJ should not bat 2nd. I can't believe I ever thought it was a good idea. There's no way to rationalize it. If anyone was getting on base in front of Freeman he'd already have 10-15 rbis.

BJ should not bat 2nd. I can't believe I ever thought it was a good idea. There's no way to rationalize it. If anyone was getting on base in front of Freeman he'd already have 10-15 rbis.

Which is why i suggested putting Simmons in the 2 hole he doesn't strike much at all, B.J. has already struck out 13 times, we have 1 guy hitting around .400, 2 guys hitting around .300 and the rest of the team just trying to break .200, we have no balance in the lineup at all.

But it won't matter who bats 2 or 3 if Heyward can't stop swinging like a #5 hittter

Once more, with feeling:

1. JUpton

2. Heyward

3. Johnson

4. Freeman

5. Uggla

6. BUpton

7. Simmons

8. Gattis

like the line up but i was thinking of 2 different ones I like

Line up 1 / line up 2

1. Johnson / Heyward

2. Freeman / Johnson

3. Justin / Freeman

4. Heyward / Justin

5. Uggla / Uggla

6. Gattis / Gattis

7. Simmons / Simmons

8. BJ / BJ

Edited by Cable Guy

Justin batting 2nd is our best option IMO. Uggla's improved play can fill the void at that 5 slot. Maybe even put Uggla at 2 with his ability to draw walks if he continues to show he's improved.

It would make some sense, but they tried Uggla in the #2 last year for a game or two and it seemed to completely freak him out.

Here's my reasoning for the order I have:

Heyward batting #2: it's been shown that the #2 hitter, more than the #3 hitter, comes to the plate with more run creating opportunities. Also, a left-handed hitter is more likely to be able to take advantage of the hole in the right side of the infield if the lead-off man gets on.

The reason Simmons isn't as good an option there is because he tends to make so much contact; with a runner on 1st and less than 2 outs, you don't want a guy that makes contact at all costs because of the likelyhood of double plays. You want a guy that hits the ball to the right side, hits for power, and/or takes walks. Simmons doesn't do any of those things (at least not yet).

Justin batting #1: Other than Freeman, he's the best career OBP guy on the team.

Freeman batting #4: The 4 slot almost always comes up with more run creating opportunities than the 3 slot. Because of his OBP, he's also not a bad option leading off an inning if the Braves go 1-2-3 in the 1st inning.

Upton/Simmons/Gattis in the lower third: Hopefully no one can dispute that BJ shouldn't be batting 2nd, right? 6th is not a bad spot for a guy with speed but otherwise isn't a top of the order candidate. If he does get on, his speed will make it harder on the defense to double up if Simmons grounds one. Gattis acts as "clean-up" in this kind of ghetto line-up re-set.

Upton vs. Schafer: BJ should be on a very short leash after last season (Uggla too for that matter). The problem is that Schafer (or Tood Cunningham, or playing Doumit or Terdo in left and moving Justin and Heyward) is not likely an overall better option for the team. All things being equal, BJ just is a higher skilled option than any of the others. Yes, he needs to show this, and soon, but 7 games is too short of a time to make this judgement.

Edited by K26dp

An aside on BJ -- one of the main reasons he's a better option than Schafer is his defense. However, he cannot make mental mistakes like last night's when the catchable ball dropped between him and Justin. He has to make that play. For a guy that has to be on thin ice, that's not acceptable.

Really guy? Who in the **** has even attempted to say that we are fine with what BJ is doing at the plate? The only thing myself and a handful of others are saying that if you're going to bench him, don't do it for a guy who's a marginal upgrade, if he's even that. And really? We can't bring up career stats? I guess those years just didn't happen.

When it comes to BJ. Yeah. Those years pretty much didn't happen. We gave him a year and an offseason to return to form. He's just gotten worse. He isn't the BJ of old. Those stats are meaningless. I never said I preferred schaef. I'd call someone up if we had to.

I also never said move heyward for the record.

Which is why i suggested putting Simmons in the 2 hole he doesn't strike much at all, B.J. has already struck out 13 times, we have 1 guy hitting around .400, 2 guys hitting around .300 and the rest of the team just trying to break .200, we have no balance in the lineup at all.

But it won't matter who bats 2 or 3 if Heyward can't stop swinging like a #5 hittter

If Simmons walked that would be great. But Simmons doesn't walk and doesn't even take pitches and hits a lot of ground balls. He's a double play machine waiting to happen.

An aside on BJ -- one of the main reasons he's a better option than Schafer is his defense. However, he cannot make mental mistakes like last night's when the catchable ball dropped between him and Justin. He has to make that play. For a guy that has to be on thin ice, that's not acceptable.

I think we saw as last year and again last night that BJ let's his offense negatively affect his defense.