Solution For B.j.

smashmouthjoe

I say you platoon him with Shafer. Shafer hits lefty and B.J. hits righty (When he hits) . It's away to save face for everyone. BJ. will not have been benched and let the best man win the position, as happened wit Chris Jonson last year.

Some say that we are paying B.J. too much to sit on the bench. That makes absolutely no sense at all. We are obligated to pay the man whether he plays everyday, sits on the bench or is traded, even with us still paying a large part of his salary . The alternative is to keep him in the lineup and be an automatic out. With Uggla and the pitcher, that means that a third of the batting order Is an automatic out . We need to admit a mistake, platoon him with Shafer or get rid of him.

Some guy on the radio said that platooning him would be a slap in the face. Heck, it's a slap in MY face that I am not playing not playing center field and not making 15 mil a year.

Schafer's career line vs. RHP: .240/.326/.330.

Upton's career line vs. RHP: .246/.318/.405.

Schafer does not represent a clear upgrade in offense over BJ Upton, assuming BJ hits something like his career line. He also is a downgrade defensively.

If Schafer was clearly an upgrade offensively I would be in support of this, but it's not clear. It has nothing to do with salary.

What in the world are you smoking ? Salary has everything to do with it. B.J.'s salary is a cancer on the payroll, and must be dealt with one way or the other.

As for Shafer not being an upgrade over B.J. , that's also nonsense . Shafer didn't stop swinging for the fences until last year when he became more of a contact hitter. I guarantee you that he can hit better than .179

On defense Shafer Is better in outfield and faster on the base paths .

B.J.has the ugliest swing in the majors, which he has not changed one iota from last year . It has so many moving parts it could be a Rube Goldberg machine.

Schafer hit well for a couple of months last year then fell back down to earth. Jordan is nothing more than a 4th OF. I'm not sure how you think putting the guy on the pine is dealing with his salary. I'll ask the same question you did. What in the world are you smoking?

What in the world are you smoking ? Salary has everything to do with it. B.J.'s salary is a cancer on the payroll, and must be dealt with one way or the other.

Murder is a felony in all 50 states.

As for Shafer not being an upgrade over B.J. , that's also nonsense . Shafer didn't stop swinging for the fences until last year when he became more of a contact hitter. I guarantee you that he can hit better than .179

He likely can. Hopefully BJ can this season as well, because skill-wise he is a better player, as demonstrated by both of their careers.

On defense Shafer Is better in outfield and faster on the base paths.

Upton career UZR/150: 3.5

Schafer career UZR/150: -4.9

Upton has been a slightly better than average fielder in his career. Schafer has been a below average fielder in his career.

Baserunning Schafer has added 6.4 RAR in his career with his baserunning, or 1.28 runs per season (which is pretty good, especially for a part-time player). Upton has added 29.3 RAR per season with baserunning or 2.93 runs per season. Upton has been a demonstratively better baserunner than Schafer as well.

Must be a bong party out there. If platooned, Shafer will win the job going away. Platooning will happen, wait and see.

As for his salary, I'll say it again, we are stuck with it no mater what . So you want to play a .179 hitter just because of his salary ? insanity ! Trade the bum and pay his salary, put a player in his place.

Must be a bong party out there. If platooned, Shafer will win the job going away. Platooning will happen, wait and see.

As for his salary, I'll say it again, we are stuck with it no mater what . So you want to play a .179 hitter just because of his salary ? insanity ! Trade the bum and pay his salary, put a player in his place.

I am looking at two players through their careers. You are looking at six games.

I'm all for improving the ballclub. Putting Schafer in to play to replace Upton is likely not an improvement in any phase of the game.

Just a thought.

Jhey can play center. Doumit can play OF yes?

Maybe you platoon him instead of schaefer

What you gain in offense you would lose in defense. Doumit's outfield defense level is aroung Gattis-level. It's an option, but the Braves aren't that desperate yet.

Did you see Jordan Schafer when he was starting everyday last year after Jason Heyward got hurt?

1. Schafer really turned things around last year until he broke that bone in his foot. He just wasn't able to pick it back up after he returned. The thing he also bring is a spark and excitement that is contagious. He was a big spark in our 2nd big winning streak last yr

1. Schafer really turned things around last year until he broke that bone in his foot. He just wasn't able to pick it back up after he returned. The thing he also bring is a spark and excitement that is contagious. He was a big spark in our 2nd big winning streak last yr

No he wasn't. The big spark in our 2nd big winning streak was Heyward moving to the leadoff spot with Justin hitting 2nd. Schafer did absolutely NOTHING after he came back.

Schafer when he started and played the entire game or atleast most of it last year

251 avg, 23 R, 17 RBI, 28 BB, 17 SB. 50 Games

311 avg 18 R, 11 RBI, 22 BB, 10 SB 27 games before injury

182 avg 5 R , 6 RBI, 6 BB, 7 SB, 23 games after injury

I would take the pre-injury JS as my leadoff and starting OF anyday

me and 567 are fine. We have debated before and understand we can have a difference of opinion without it being personal. I can always respect another mans opinion as long as he can respect mine may be different. Neither of us will always be right or wrong

Schafer when he started and played the entire game or atleast most of it last year

251 avg, 23 R, 17 RBI, 28 BB, 17 SB. 50 Games

311 avg 18 R, 11 RBI, 22 BB, 10 SB 27 games before injury

182 avg 5 R , 6 RBI, 6 BB, 7 SB, 23 games after injury

I would take the pre-injury JS as my leadoff and starting OF anyday

Sure, but I seriously doubt that those 27 games represent his true skill level.