Draft Hypothetical (I Know, Not Another One)

Let's say that Houston wants to go defense with their first pick and they take Clowney. St. Louis wants to add protection for Bradford so they go with Robinson. Jacksonville takes Mack because they need defense, and then Oakland takes Watkins because it's freaking Sammy Watkins. This leaves us with our choice of Matthews, Barr, or an outsider. I personally think with the recent loss of Bush that the Falcons should seriously consider taking Hasean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix at FS. He's been compared to Earl Thomas and Eric Berry. Although he has never seen a down in the NFL, those are two pretty good names to be compared to. Given the deep depth at OT and the front 7 on defense in the draft, I don't see this as a bad idea. There are two "can't miss" safeties in the draft in Dix and Pryor. Neither will be available when we pick in Round 2, but we could easily have a DE/OLB (Attouchu), or OT (Richardson). I don't think Matthews will be as good as everyone is building him up to be, and I just don't like Barr when you could have a guy just like him in Attouchu in the 2nd round.

How would that be the worst draft pick? What if things play out like that.. The teams sitting in the teens looking for a QB, just had every QB fall in to their laps so they no longer need to trade up above anyone else. I've seen Dix go top 10 in some mock drafts and most mocks have him going #13 to the Rams.

Let's say that Houston wants to go defense with their first pick and they take Clowney. St. Louis wants to add protection for Bradford so they go with Robinson. Jacksonville takes Mack because they need defense, and then Oakland takes Watkins because it's freaking Sammy Watkins. This leaves us with our choice of Matthews, Barr, or an outsider. I personally think with the recent loss of Bush that the Falcons should seriously consider taking Hasean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix at FS. He's been compared to Earl Thomas and Eric Berry. Although he has never seen a down in the NFL, those are two pretty good names to be compared to. Given the deep depth at OT and the front 7 on defense in the draft, I don't see this as a bad idea. There are two "can't miss" safeties in the draft in Dix and Pryor. Neither will be available when we pick in Round 2, but we could easily have a DE/OLB (Attouchu), or OT (Richardson). I don't think Matthews will be as good as everyone is building him up to be, and I just don't like Barr when you could have a guy just like him in Attouchu in the 2nd round.

No. Id take Pryor before Clinton-Dix and to me it isn't even close. Pryor jumps off the screen where you watch him.

But if your scenario plays out id trade down a bit and pick Dee Ford

lol. without a pass rush he will be compared to that last loser you all had

Matthews and Barr are better prospects and fit bigger needs . If we don't get a pass rush were going to have problems on back end of secondary no matter what . Spending a top 10 draft pick on a a as that really should be considered more a SS would be the worst pick . This S class is weak there is no Sean Taylor or Ed Reed in this draft .

Barr is trash. I wouldn't want him for nothing

Matthews is a "short armed technician" according to many scouts. We already went down this road with Sam Baker. Why do it again? Forget who his daddy is....

Matthews and Barr are better prospects and fit bigger needs

What needs are you looking at? As of now, we would be starting Zeke Motta or Kemal Ishmael at FS. As of right now, FS has become a much bigger need than any other position on our roster in my opinion. We just signed Asomoah and Carimi in the off-season. While they are not world beaters, they are serviceable and they are maulers which is what the Falcons needed at OL. Defensively we brought in Tyson Jackson and Paul Solalai to help with the pass rush (which I think will help more than people realize). So while I can understand why you think Matthews and/or Barr would be good choices, going off a by need basis you clearly need to take the best safety at #6 or trade down with someone with the intention of still taking one of either Dix or Pryor.

People are sleeping on Barr cause he is not a sexy pick like Mack or Clowney but he would be perfect 3-4 rush OLB he just needs to add a little more weight but kid can be a big time play maker especially if we have other pieces around him

I agree with you on Matthews but he is a much better prospect than HAHa plus with the uncertainty of Baker down the road Matthews could be a very solid starter at LT for years to come

Is he an all pro nah I see some of his game I don't like and benefited from a scrambling QB but he would be a upgrade on our Oline

So what is your proposed plan for Free Safety? Because we aren't taking one in the 2nd, and most likely not in the 3rd either. I really can't see a 4th round safety contributing successfully on our squad

So you think sticking HA Ha out at FS with no pass rush is the answer ? The mid round prospects at s are more intriguing and offer better value if we decide to go that route

There are options like bringing in Ed Reed for a season and let him develop a mid round kid

Safety is not a position that you develop talent at. They are the last line of defense. You either have the talent to play the position or you don't. if you expect an almost 40 year old to be able to contribute much in the form of defense than you are sadly mistaken. The NFL game is far too fast for Ed Reed now. We tried to "develop" Decoud and how did that turn out for us?