Right Tackle - Does Dimipiolivaneytice Even Think Its A Major Need?

g-dawg

All of us are wringing our hands and coming up with mocks to address the offensive tackle position. I, too think its a need. Many here want Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson to be drafted at #6 overall - plug them in Day#1 at right tackle and groom them to be the left tackle in 2015 or 2016.

Having said that, the more important question is this - Do the Falcons see Right Tackle as an immediate need for 2015?

Mike Tice was brought in to instill toughness, discipline and cohesiveness to this shoddy group/collection of offensive linemen. Joe Hawley was re-signed - presumably to be our starting center. Jon Asamoah was brought in to bring toughness and pass protection to the right guard spot. Mike Johnson is coming back from another injury - he was thought to have been the favorite to win the right tackle spot in 2013 before he got injured. Ryan Schaeder was showing promise before Greg Hardy ran him into the ground in Week#17.

Gabe Carimi was a highly rated right tackle and drafted in the 1st round in 2011 - he dislocated his knee and then never really seemed to capture his higher level of play from his college years. Lamar Holmes is a big-bodied man with some pass protection skills but has not shown the mental ability to stay in the game from a down-to-down basis.

There are basically 4 contenders for the Right Tackle position:

1. Mike Johnson - he was thought to be the favorite last year before getting hurt. His career has been a "nothingburger" to date.
  2. Lamar Holmes - this is a guy that should be better than he is. I'm not sure if he has the cognitive ability and inner toughness to consistently thrive in the NFL.
  3. Gabe Carimi - at this point in his career, he is a journeyman. If Carimi does not turn around his career in Atlanta - he may be selling insurance in two years.
  4. Ryan Schraeder - he may be nothing more than a career back-up but he could develop.

Again, I would not bet the farm that any of those guys above amount to much anything - having said that - that is a lot of guys that could be vying for one position and we just need one of them to step up - under tutelage of a REAL offensive line coach - that we now have in Mike Tice.

Not sure that the Falcons are going offensive tackle early.

It would be interesting to hear the answer to "where does Gabe Carimi fit?" If they see him primarily as a RT then I don't think we address the position in the draft. If they see him primarily as a guard then I think that we do.

I was thinking that he'd be Asamoah's backup.

This is the basic concept that I posted about, except from a RT perspective. How are we so sure that the FO favors using draft picks instead of the guys we have?

RT is far less of a concern, but it shows our draft philosophy.

That can be said about any position, for all we know the FO views Massaqui , Maponga and Bartu as great DE/OLB foundations and are seeking out mid round guys. Unfortunately, I doubt any of us including the venerable bleacher report guys have inside sources.

What we do know is several analysts who are ex scouts, GMs or guys like Mayock are pretty much having us pick either an OT in first and OLB/DE in second or in reverse

This should truly be an interesting draft

That can be said about any position, for all we know the FO views Massaqui , Maponga and Bartu as great DE/OLB foundations and are seeking out mid round guys. Unfortunately, I doubt any of us including the venerable bleacher report guys have inside sources.

What we do know is several analysts who are ex scouts, GMs or guys like Mayock are pretty much having us pick either an OT in first and OLB/DE in second or in reverse

Can't wait. Good points.

But protecting our QB has to be made a priority. We can afford to go Pass rush if we are reasobly confident we can keep MR2 upright. If not, can't justify missing one of the better OTs.

We've been good without a pass rush. Really good.

But protecting our QB has to be made a priority. We can afford to go Pass rush if we are reasobly confident we can keep MR2 upright. If not, can't justify missing one of the better OTs.

Fair points. If I'm TD I'm jumping on the OT if either Robinson, Matthews or Lewan are available. I just think even Clowny is not a Von miller type prospect. Plenty of questions about all the "elite" pass rushers and the draft is deep in good pass rushers. My mock is up, amd it has us trade down 3 spots grab Lewan and trade up for dee ford

We haven't been good without a pass rush when we needed on though. Kaep was able to sit back and wait till Vernon Davis ran all the way across to open space then hit him time after time.

We stated early I the off season that we wanted to get players to help us in the run game and help stop the run. We accomplished that with soliai and Jackson.

Signing Asomoah was and should be only the first step In revamping our line.

Mike Johnson has never played a starter role on our team and has been injured every since we drafted him. DECISION: application denied

Ryan Schraeder played well in spurts and looked awful in spurts almost In the same breath. He is coming into his second season as undrafted signing while not really proving much in his first season. DECISION: we' ll call you

Lamar Holmes showed just a little bit more potential than Schraeder(an undrafted prospect) which isnt saying much. Betting on his turnaround would amount to getting into the same boat that sunk us last season. His best moments came from playing on the left side and that should be where he stays. DECISION: Stay ready

Arguably the worst signing thus far Gabe Carimi hasn't found a way to play out a contract since he entered the nfl. I think it says something when the same coach that drafted doesn't want to give you a chance on the second go around. Conting on him to turn into a quality starter would fall in the lines of suicide. DECISION: Better to rent you may be moving soon

Although i prefer to take Mack in the first there is plenty of substance to the argument of taking a tackle in the first. If TD and company doesn't see a need for a Starting caliber RT then God help us all.

Edited by atlGM

We stated early I the off season that we wanted to get players to help us in the run game and help stop the run. We accomplished that with soliai and Jackson.

Signing Asomoah was and should be only the first step In revamping our line.

Mike Johnson has never played a starter role on our team and has been injured every since we drafted him. DECISION: application denied

Ryan Schraeder played well in spurts and looked awful in spurts almost In the same breath. He is coming into his second season as undrafted signing while not really proving much in his first season. DECISION: we' ll call you

Lamar Holmes showed just a little bit more potential than Schraeder(an undrafted prospect) which isnt saying much. Betting on his turnaround would amount to getting into the same boat that sunk us last season. His best moments came from playing on the left side and that should be where he stays. DECISION: Stay ready

Arguably the worst signing thus far Gabe Carimi hasn't found a way to stay play out a contract since he entered the nfl. I think it says something when the same coach that drafted doesn't want to give you a chance on the second go around. Conting on him to turn into a quality starter would fall in the lines of suicide. DECISION: Better to rent you may be moving soon

Although i prefer to take Mack in the first there is plenty of substance to the argument of taking a tackle in the first. If TD and company doesn't see a need for a Starting caliber RT then God help us all.

i agree w/ your assessments - just not sure what DimiPiolivaney think.

I think since good OT prospects are tough to come by, you take one that you are comfortable with. The Lynch pin to this draft is Tice. What is his comfort level with our "talent"?

This is the key to who the Falcons take at #6. I'm sure watching all the video OL fail from last season was a very sobering, maybe even alarming, experience for the dude. But there are a bunch of prospects already on the roster to take the RT job and run with it. If I were Tice I'd probably be pleading with TD to get Matthews, Robinson or maybe even Lewan to just put an end to the last OL weak spot and be done with it. Myself, I'd hope that one of the guys we already have can and will be able to step up and start and do at least a decent job of pass and run protection. We need the best pass rusher we can come up with in the first round without giving up the farm and I hope that's the direction we take.

The question is do we want an average line (which some seem to just want) or do we want a Great OL? Or at least a promising OL? We want a SB Contender but some just want to get by on Julio and MR skills???? Do we see what some of the other teams are doing that already had more talent then we did and draft better then we do? The new NFL is just too injury prone so you have to have strong 2 deep. Injuries will happen. It is too much it is going to be okay thinking. We have to knock this off season out the Park on both sides of the ball!

G-dawg, I love your post and all but please be wrong in every way with this post. Those listed people are not the answer. Tice coached the Bears. The. Bears. The one Cutler ran for his life behind

that is another great point. I like the tice hiring but I think some are getting a bit ahead of thereselves when it comes to him being able to turn water into wine. I remember when we signed pat hill you heard almost the same exact things. I think tice is just a more familiar name. Throughout his tenure with the bears they fielded one of the worst pass blocking olines In the league. Of course talent played a part in that(enter carimi) but you have to believe coaching had something to do with it.

that is another great point. I like the tice hiring but I think some are getting a bit ahead of thereselves when it comes to him being able to turn water into wine. I remember when we signed pat hill you heard almost the same exact things. I think tice is just a more familiar name. Throughout his tenure with the bears they fielded one of the worst pass blocking olines In the league. Of course talent played a part in that(enter carimi) but you have to believe coaching had something to do with it.

I'm not getting ahead of myself......I think the Falcons need an offensive tackle in 1st or 2nd round. maybe they could wait until the 3rd round but no later.