Besides Matt Ryan, If Someone On This Team Became The Best In The Nfl At Their Position...

Power I

If someone on this team magically became the best at their position next season, who would help us win the most games?

I think the answer to this question should help settle a little bit of discussion about who we should draft. Number one, we should be gunning for a guy at 6 who CAN be the best at their position. If we don't know if he has that potential, we should probably pass. Currently, the only person on the team I see possible in doing that is Desmond Trufant.

With that said, I think the most obvious guy is Sam Baker. If we had the best left tackle in the NFL, we would be automatic playoff contenders again. After Baker (without choosing the same position in Holmes), I would go Massaquoi, Konz, and Weatherspoon in that order.

Thoughts?

If someone on this team magically became the best at their position next season, who would help us win the most games?

I think the answer to this question should help settle a little bit of discussion about who we should draft. Number one, we should be gunning for a guy at 6 who CAN be the best at their position. If we don't know if he has that potential, we should probably pass. Currently, the only person on the team I see possible in doing that is Desmond Trufant.

With that said, I think the most obvious guy is Sam Baker. If we had the best left tackle in the NFL, we would be automatic playoff contenders again. After Baker (without choosing the same position in Holmes), I would go Massaquoi, Konz, and Weatherspoon in that order.

Thoughts?

I would guess it would have to be the Falcons LT that would probably most the most impact. Helps the passing and running game keeps Ryan upright. But to even approach the mid levels next year at LT they had better draft Matthews

You forgot Julio.

I sure did, my apologies. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. He can certainly be the best, but I still wouldn't change the list. He's already pretty close, so another slight step in the right direction wouldn't benefit us all that much I don't think.

Corey Peters would probably make the biggest difference. If all of a sudden he were a hybrid of Ngata and Suh/Watt/Justin Smith, our entire defense would look radically different.

Similarly a top pass rusher (Massaquoi becomes a top 5 pass rusher) or one of our OTs. If Holmes became a great RT, and Baker just performs OK, the offense is golden.

Interesting exercise, but it's so hard because a top of the league guy anywhere makes such a difference (if Darius Johnson becomes Megatron, our passing game alone would keep us going, if Antone Smith becomes AP, we're golden.) Maybe "top 10" at their position instead of absolute best is more meaningful.

In that case, I'd definitely go a pocket pushing DL, an OLB pass rusher, and an OT as the 3 that can prop the team up the most.

Corey Peters would probably make the biggest difference. If all of a sudden he were a hybrid of Ngata and Suh/Watt/Justin Smith, our entire defense would look radically different.

Similarly a top pass rusher (Massaquoi becomes a top 5 pass rusher) or one of our OTs. If Holmes became a great RT, and Baker just performs OK, the offense is golden.

Interesting exercise, but it's so hard because a top of the league guy anywhere makes such a difference (if Darius Johnson becomes Megatron, our passing game alone would keep us going, if Antone Smith becomes AP, we're golden.) Maybe "top 10" at their position instead of absolute best is more meaningful.

In that case, I'd definitely go a pocket pushing DL, an OLB pass rusher, and an OT as the 3 that can prop the team up the most.

Good point. Obviously a player at the bottom of the roster becoming the best would actually help us the most. I guess we should focus on starters to get the best idea. With that in mind, I guess I should have to change Spoon to Bartu in my original list. An elite SLB paired with Spoon would be better than an elite WLB paired with Bartu.

JJ and Tru are the only possible candidates, really (Outside chance to Worr, if he stays in form).

I'd say if we had the best passrusher (Whomever it would be), that would help us the most at this point.

Trufant played at a Top 10 level last year. If he were to vault up to number 1, I think it would help but I don't think it would be something likely to drive a whole lot more winning.

Julio's play prior to his injury WAS at a top of the league level. He averaged the most yards per route run according to PFF. He was leading the league in yards per game and receptions when he went down. He was basically unstoppable. So even if you say he was Top 5, I dont think the improvement from 5 to 1 would be enough to make us a MUCH better team.

I really think the two players that could give us the most if they were to suddenly become the best in the league are Spoon and Massaquoi.

If Spoon played at the level of Lavonte David, we would have a guy who excels as a run stuffer, pressures the QB and is pretty decent in coverage. He'd be a consistent playmaker and would give us something this defense doesnt currently have on the second level.

If Mass all of a sudden became Jared Allen-esque, we'd have a consistent pass rush that would free up the other 6 or 7 dudes up front to make more plays.

I guess is Toilolo decided he was Jimmy Graham-esque, that would help a lot too.

Trufant played at a Top 10 level last year. If he were to vault up to number 1, I think it would help but I don't think it would be something likely to drive a whole lot more winning.

Julio's play prior to his injury WAS at a top of the league level. He averaged the most yards per route run according to PFF. He was leading the league in yards per game and receptions when he went down. He was basically unstoppable. So even if you say he was Top 5, I dont think the improvement from 5 to 1 would be enough to make us a MUCH better team.

I really think the two players that could give us the most if they were to suddenly become the best in the league are Spoon and Massaquoi.

If Spoon played at the level of Lavonte David, we would have a guy who excels as a run stuffer, pressures the QB and is pretty decent in coverage. He'd be a consistent playmaker and would give us something this defense doesnt currently have on the second level.

If Mass all of a sudden became Jared Allen-esque, we'd have a consistent pass rush that would free up the other 6 or 7 dudes up front to make more plays.

I guess is Toilolo decided he was Jimmy Graham-esque, that would help a lot too.

I agree completely, I was saying if we're being realistic Tru and JJ (And possibly Worr) are the only people that could actually become the best at their positions, not necessarily that would help us the most.

Pass rusher would help us the most, certainly, whether it's Mass, Kroy, or Spoon getting back there.

I agree completely, I was saying if we're being realistic Tru and JJ (And possibly Worr) are the only people that could actually become the best at their positions, not necessarily that would help us the most.

Pass rusher would help us the most, certainly, whether it's Mass, Kroy, or Spoon getting back there.

Ahhh. Yeah that's probably right. Those two are def the most likely.

And I guess is Tru became #1, he'd have to be better than Revis. Which would allow us to do a lot on defense.

Soliai, for the reason that NT was important enough for us to pay him. If he could be the best NT, that instantly makes whoever starts at OLB or DE twice as effective. If he pushes the pocket like the best tackle in the game, we will suddenly have a beastly secondary as well.